Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2018, 07:04 AM   #1
IC2

Sears is like the gooney bird

The last Sears store in our area is scheduled to close in January. I still had a gift card with a few bucks on it so decided that a visit would be nice. Tools are 20 to 30 percent off with clothing even more(50-80%). I picked up a pair of slacks and a few odd tools that - well a guy can NEVER have enough tools. So, if you have a store nearby that is still open, might be worth a stop.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2018, 07:14 AM   #2

I used to be a fan of Craftsman and the catalog. Then they changed owners and have been slowly killing off the business since. It's been a while since I was in a store and much longer since I made a significant purchase. Every once in a while I wonder if the folks who killed the catalog every look at Amazon...
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:16 AM   #3

I've seen Craftsman tools being sold in Lowe's and Ace Hardware now.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:17 AM   #4

Mismanagement......it’s anazing that a company that once “had everything” and was a go to for shopping, couldn’t keep pace with the targets and wal marts. They had everything in place but just couldn’t pull it off
Old 12-07-2018, 07:28 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrktfsh View Post
Mismanagement......it’s anazing that a company that once “had everything” and was a go to for shopping, couldn’t keep pace with the targets and wal marts. They had everything in place but just couldn’t pull it off

It is inevitable.....and Wal Marts day is coming too. Once you get to the top, you always become, fat, lazy, inefficient, and someone will take your place. God Bless free enterprise!
Old 12-07-2018, 07:39 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Natural cycle of retail commerce. 50 years ago we had Sear's, JC Penny, Horn's, Gimbals and so on. Today those names are slowing being lost to history and replaced with new that will also be replaced some day.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:40 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I haven't been is a Sears store in 20 years. They used to be the best but the last few times I went there the children working the tool section didn't know a phillips screw driver from a flat head. Penny wise pound foolish.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I've seen Craftsman tools being sold in Lowe's and Ace Hardware now.
I've noticed that too. I'm wondering if they've bought the overstock.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:07 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Sears and Ace started a partnership on the tools several years ago, that's why they were in Ace stores.
The Craftsman brand was sold off more recently, maybe a couple of years ago, it's no longer part of Sears. If I'm not mistaken Stanley Black and Decker now owns Craftsman. A few months ago they started selling the brand through Lowes.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:12 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Yes the Craftsman "brand" was sold off a couple years ago as i think sears was trying to survive by selling the parts they could for a cash influx You will continue to see Craftsman Branded tools Lawn mowers etc.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I haven't been is a Sears store in 20 years. They used to be the best but the last few times I went there the children working the tool section didn't know a phillips screw driver from a flat head. Penny wise pound foolish.
So true. Decades back, there we're actual adults working there that knew what they we're doing. Sears used to be so trusted, that people would go there just to talk to the clerks about their financial troubles. They sold everything including live animals and kit homes. My mom owned a Sears kit home and it was top quality. The wrenche's they sold back in the 60's we're very good quality; then that all went down hill. Sear's played a big part in building America over the decades. It's a sad ending.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:01 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
So sad to see an old company like Sears go under. I remember getting the Sears & Roebuck catalogs as a kid living way out in the country.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:38 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I used to buy nothing but Craftsman tools (both hand and power tools) starting back in the early 70's. Their lifetime warranty was great. If a hand tool broke or wore out, just bring it into your local Sears store and get it replaced for free on the spot.

A number of years ago I had a 100 ft and a 25 ft tape measure that had the ends broken. I just brought them in and they handed me a new 25 ft tape measure and a 100 ft tape measure refill. Two years ago I brought in another tape measure and they said that they no longer honor the lifetime warranty for any product that is no loner made by Sears. Since Sears no longer makes tape measures (they brand label from someone else), they cannot replace them for free. They said they can sell me a new one but I politely said No Thanks.

I too have seen Craftsman advertised at our local Lowes store. I do not know what kind of warranty Craftsman hand tools have now. Nor do I know what kind of quality they have now compared to many of the other brands out there.
Mountain Master Motorcycle Lift, 2018 Harley Davidson CVO Limited
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My Grandpa built his 2 story house from a sears kit. I think it was between WW1 & WW2. He died just before I was born.
sam60 is offline   Reply With Quote