Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Seat belt laws

Why do so many states with seat belt laws allow riders in the back of pick-ups, even on the highway. This makes no sense to me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #2

pick up bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
Why do so many states with seat belt laws allow riders in the back of pick-ups, even on the highway. This makes no sense to me.
Looks like about 19 states permit it. Strange.

GL Arnold

Old 03-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #3

They generally do not. That doesn't mean that people follow the rules, it just means they haven't passed the right cop yet. Federal folks want everyone buckled up and if the states aren't willing to go along with that by making it their law, the feds have withheld federal highway safety funds (a part of the fed fuel tax you pay when buying gas) that come back to the states. This is BIG MONEY and the state usually gets on the stick and passes the necessary law. There may be 1 or 2 holdouts out there, but I'd doubt there are 5. It's been a few years since I checked.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:21 AM   #4

About 19.

Seat Belts | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

GL Arnold
Old 03-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
30 states prohibit riding in the cargo area of a pickup. At one time I think it was legal in all states. What gets me are states that allow motorcyclists to ride without helmets. By the 1970's almost all states required them, then riders started protesting and the law was repealed in well over half of the states. My brother ran a Yamaha shop and when asked about helmets he'd reply, "You only need one if you have something in your brain worth protecting." He always rode with a helmet and leathers for safety. I understand it's your right to ride without a helmet or in the back of a pickup, put I think those so inclined should have to post a bond to cover the medical expenses when they crash. Why should be all be burdened with higher insurance rates so others have the freedom to be 'free'?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #6

According to this chart Seat Belts | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws, 24 states allow adults to travel in pick up beds. When seat belt laws were first mandated, we lived in a very rural area, and pick ups were exempted from seat belt laws, even in the passenger areas. When we go to visit there now, I have noticed that most of the people I see driving there in trucks are not wearing any. I have not kept up with laws recently as I no longer drive pick ups and use seat belts anyway.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #7

Well, while on this subject, I love to watch a show called, "The First 48", its a cop show.
Almost NONE of the officers on the show, these are actual police officers wear seat belts, almost all talk on their cell phones while driving, no hands free device. Most type into a computer while driving. Kinda drives me nuts.
As a former Chief of Police, I required my officers (6) yeah we had a small department, to wear their seat belts, heard alot of complaints but never had it really interfere with the officers ability to exit the vehicles quickly.
I firmly believe in wearing seat belts, I could relate several stories as to how they have saved me personally, however, I do NOT believe that the government should regulate the wearing of seat belts, nor helmets on motorcycles.
Illinois, will ticket you for not wearing a seat belt, primary violation, but you can ride your motorcycle without a helmet???
Missouri will ticket you for not wearing a seat belt, if they stop you for something else, light out, speeding etc., and they will ticket you for not wearing a helmet on your motorcycle, primary violation.
OH well I'm ranting, guess my point is if you enforce the laws, you don't have to abide by them?
Happy Trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Seems like legally I should be able to ride in a fifth wheel if I can ride in the bed of a pickup. Neither make sense but why one is legal in TN (pickup) and why one is not (fifth wheel) seems just stupid.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:40 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In CA, LEO's are specifically exempted from cell phone usage laws. I don't know if seat belt usage is also exempt.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
In Florida you can go without a helmet on a bike BUT you had better have an insane amount of insurance to go with that. Me? You better believe it a helmet, jeans, closed toed shoes (more often then not its boots thou) and a jacket to cover arms. Oh and everyone that would ride with me on the back would also be covered the same way.
Saved me and the youngest son when there was an accident on the bike. All I got was a broke leg from the weight of the bike and he got a little scratch on one finger since I did not require gloves. As a matter of fact if he was not wearing Thom's full face helmet that day, according to the paramedics he would have lost half an ear from the way it was damaged. Thing is you cannot control when and where you are going to have an accident and I will be prepared all I can for the just in case.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Most seat belt laws require the passenger to use the seat belt if there is one provided, but do not specify that every passenger is every vehicle must have a seat belt. Some common exceptions are buses (even school buses), motor cycles, and , yes, passengers behind the driving area of a motorhome.

I never felt that things should be illegal just because they are foolish. Foolish behavior helps to cleanse the gene pool!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
In our province passengers aren't allowed to ride in the back of a pick up truck and animals must be tethered when riding in the back of the truck. Now that's something that should be illegal.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I understand it's your right to ride without a helmet or in the back of a pickup, put I think those so inclined should have to post a bond to cover the medical expenses when they crash. Why should be all be burdened with higher insurance rates so others have the freedom to be 'free'?
I hear you... but we'd need to apply the same logic to obese people ordering double Quarter Pounders with cheese.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not as put off by the fact that many of our laws conflict or seem not to make sense as I am by existing laws that are willfully violated; seat belts, cell phones, helmets etc. There are consequences.

Recently a guy ran in to the back of a mini van full of people. He was drunk and speeding. But five persons, children and family died in the mini van. No seat belts. Senseless and unnecessary deaths.

My brother in law takes off w/o his seat belts on, guess what so do his kids.

Laws can be changed, modified, done away with by citizen actions, death is unchangeable

Leaves me cold.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Rving | warranty »