Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2006, 06:38 AM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Rich,I applaud your use of the internet search tools that are readily available to each and every one of us,if we're savvy enough to know how to use them...

There are search engines galore offering opportunities to gather the information.

While I understand your post is an attempt to warn Jim of the consequences of his choosing to offer his complete name online, I would ask you not to offer any more of the information.

Thanks... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Offer more of the information? ...hardly not!

I was merely trying to put across a point without doing any harm and it was quiet evident that the stated information I gave would not go any further, therefore .....

...and it appears that the point was well taken.

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2006, 09:52 AM   #16

Rich offers a great example of why ANYONE would utilize a pseudonym (sp?) on a web site, even one as friendly as this one...

I assume Rich and Zara to be fine upstanding, respectable folks but think about all the info they dug out about you and think, "what if?" they weren't good folks??

As for the wife unit and I, STILL lusting over Bob's Essex, one day our dream is that when someone asks us our location, we can reply:

"Just an email address!"
Old 07-06-2006, 11:31 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are people, Brokers, they can find out your credit card info and not even have to have the numbers for starters. There is so many locations with our info that they just pursue every link to our personable info. So when your bank or credit sends you a flier in mail to say your personable info is protected by them don't you believe it. The Pro's didn't even have the internet years ago just used their telephone.
There was a hearing in Congress this pass month the Pro had a answer for every law the congressman would use to try and block him from getting the congressmans personable info. They were all shaking there heads , what do we do now.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:13 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
OK, OK I get the message. Now I need to figure out how to totally remove my real name from my signature.

Thanks for all of your input.
big jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:37 PM   #19

Yeah...about all that secrecy...you might find this FBI Director's Password Hacked and interesting read.

Good on ya, Big Jimbo...you're a quick study!!
Marcia
AmericanGypsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:53 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by big jimbo:
Now I need to figure out how to totally remove my real name from my signature. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I believe that I may have been able to help you in that regard.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:04 PM   #21

Bob,
I think your right about info on the net. I believe Rich was just showing how quick someone could get information with the right tools. Is the coach you show your new one? Also I'm in Great Bridge which is about 10+ miles from you.

1998 Dodge 3500 5.9 V-8 Magum
rayt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:52 PM   #22

saw this and thought it was an interesting topic. we were stalked by someone that only knew us as screenames...however, he found out our IP address and proceeded to post our address, our names, our ages, my husband's social security number, and other information about us on a public forum.

we knew the owners of the forum, and my husband thought of them as 'friends'. turns out, one was a little upset with us for a thread and the owners let the information stay. we called our police. nothing they could do. we traced the stalkers IP and found out where he lived, called his police - found out HE WAS THE POLICE - but luckily for us, he had been fired about 8 months before for harrassment. both the captain and the sargeant spoke to me and went to show up at the weirdo's doorstep. he left us alone afterwards, thankfully. however, the information stayed.

but know that there is no 'actual' anti-stalking law unless the stalker is in state; and people can and do post what they want to about you. even if you use screenames...

in addition, it's perfectly legal at this time for sites to openly post your information, as they are guarded by the constitution. very sad if you ask me.

'05 Pioneer Bunkhouse (31')
camposborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:36 AM   #23
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rayt1:
Bob,
I think your right about info on the net. I believe Rich was just showing how quick someone could get information with the right tools. Is the coach you show your new one? Also I'm in Great Bridge which is about 10+ miles from you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ray, just getting back to the internet, from the delivery of the new coach in the picture...
Glad to see a neighbor on board, you should watch the regional "Mid-Atlantic" forum at the bottom of the main iRV2 page for some get togethers and campouts we've started doing...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:47 PM   #24

I keep hoping that some one will steal my idenity... then all my ex-wives, bill collectors, salespeople, bank cards and in-laws will stalk and harass that person instead of me...

As Jerry Clower would say... "just shoot up here amonst us, cause one of us needs relief".

John
John Harrelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:06 AM   #25

After 30 years in the military, with my Social Security # used as a service number, and required on checks cashed at the exchange, I'm not too worried. Google me, I did, and most of the info is wrong, plus we have 4 or 5 seperate email accounts so if you want to stalk I'll just shut that account down, or quit using it. If you want to drive by my house, you have to find where it is parked that day first. I don't want ot start a p#%%^&* contest, but I think too many people are too parinoid. When my Aunt and Cousin lived in Quartzsite AZ, they wouldn't go to Phoenix to pick me up at the airport as "You will get shot in a drive by".
Old 07-14-2006, 05:08 PM   #26

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stanbnv:
I don't want to start a p#%%^&* contest, but I think too many people are too parinoid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As one of the first to respond to "big jimbo" who started this subject, I too was in the public sector for 32 years. If you "google" my name you will find evidence of the work I did, and some of the volunteer work I now do in retirement.

I have nothing to fear and fear no one. My life has been one of public service and I continue to do as much as I can for others. If someone decides to use my availability to do me harm, may God forgive them. I'm in good hands.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:13 PM   #27
Administrator Emeritus

Well said Paul....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote