Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2006, 12:12 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
I am new on this forum and am very curious as to why so many of the members are so secretive about thier name and where they live. I guess if you are one of them, and I meet you on the road, you will have to itroduce yourself by your secret code name.

As you all can see by my signature, I am open about who I am and where I live.

big jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2006, 12:12 PM   #2

I am new on this forum and am very curious as to why so many of the members are so secretive about thier name and where they live. I guess if you are one of them, and I meet you on the road, you will have to itroduce yourself by your secret code name.

As you all can see by my signature, I am open about who I am and where I live.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:44 PM   #3

My prime reason for using a pseudo name is due to a member threating/stalking me on a forum as I totally disagreed with him on an issue (as this happened a few years ago, I don't recall if it was this forum or RVnet).
The moderator closed down the discussion and based on this person's track record barred him.
I then changed all references on all forums to my pseudo name to avoid further incidents.

Regards
Old 07-05-2006, 01:16 PM   #4

Hi Jim, I think the one reason we all have a "screen name" is we talk about camping....leaving the house. If we have our name and the city we live in does anyone out there have a phone book? If you have an unlisted number that is cool and you don't have to worry, but think about this. If there are 3 Jim Harpers in your town and someone does a drive by, he can ususally tell if you are home. Hope it doesn't happen to you

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:28 PM   #5

You never know who is lurking on the internet, or where they are. There are those just looking for identity theft opportunities. A bit of protection is perfectly acceptable.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:12 PM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
Shhhhhs, I'm hunting a wabbit!!
Old 07-05-2006, 06:52 PM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

There are certainly enough Bob Gregory's in the book here,but anyone with a noodle can click on my Datastorm link and see where I am pretty quick....

Like most of you, one day that'll change too....the coach will actually be more places than simply home...

Guess I don't worry about it,as I've never had to....wife is brown belt and keeps ME in line, just think what she'd do to some knucklehead that breaks in....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:47 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Harper:
As you all can see by my signature, I am open about who I am and where I live. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Jim,
First, welcome to IRV2. I'm sure you'll enjoy our open and un-threatening conversations about RVing.

You'll note that I, too, am open about who I am and where I live... and there aren't too many people in the world with my last name... if they have the same last name, they are directly related to me and I've probably met them at some point in my life... and I'm listed in the local telephone directory... and not more than a couple hours from you. I have never, ever had difficulty with the types of problems others have related, and I don't plan to change my habits at this stage of life.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:03 PM   #9

I think I am beginning to understand now.

Bob, thanks again for helping me along the way. There are no martial arts students in our coach, but I do hope that Mr. Ruger and I will be able to control anybody that wants to do us harm.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:07 PM   #10

Hi Jim, Since you ask, my opinion is that I believe you should have a retake on using too much personal information here on iRV2.com and the Internet in general. Just part, I repeat, just part of what I have dug up on you since reading this topic and within 15 minutes time:

- Your address and phone number has something in common, right? ...such as 1735 within both?

- Sally's age is 66 yrs or thereabouts?

- The street you live on is the name of a nut?

- Your neighbors are; CHUN, NAUGLE, WHITE & BENSMILLER?

...and I could provide much more information?

Oh! this question might throw you for a loop but I have to ask, were you ever able to buy a decent TV guide in English? I'll let you explain that one to other iRV2 readers.

What say?

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:32 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

Rich,I applaud your use of the internet search tools that are readily available to each and every one of us,if we're savvy enough to know how to use them...

There are search engines galore offering opportunities to gather the information.

While I understand your post is an attempt to warn Jim of the consequences of his choosing to offer his complete name online, I would ask you not to offer any more of the information.

Thanks...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:20 AM   #12

I too was stalked by someone online. Luckily they did not have any of my personal info, so after a few tries of telling him to stop contacting me and then just ignoring his emails to no avail, I was able to simply add him to my spam list.

Had he had my home address, it may not have been so easy. I also feel a little safer being on an army base, so I give a little more info, but remembering what I went through, I may rethink that decision.

I am going to have ds15 do a little digging and see if he can "find me". If so, I will be making some major changes.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:39 AM   #13

That is very impressive, and scary. I am now convinced that I need to change the way I do things very soon.

Thanks
Old 07-06-2006, 06:43 AM   #14

with what Rich posted, there is alot of info on the internet about all of us. Do yourself a favor and search out your name and you will be appalled and amazed at what you will find.

Besure to address the personal info that will be the basis for identify thieft. Its better if you do it than have a stranger take your identity.

Dont come by my stick house, we sold it and a cop lives there now.

R

Class of 2005
Richard n Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote