Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2015, 06:49 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Good alert neighbors should beat any alarm system any day of the week.
Since I am in the security alarm business for over 30 years I can tell you that the alert neighbor does go to sleep, take a shower and go shopping. We have two homes a 1000 miles apart and my cell connected alarm protects my homes for monitoring when the pool people clean the pool, lawn care cut the grass, anyone enters my property or house and if a fire let the fire company know what where and when faster than I could do it myself.

NOTHING beats a good and well designed alarm system with a good monitoring company. Nothing happens at my homes without an immediate text or phone call. I now if the lawn sprinkler works on time, the pool pump stops on time, the temperature of the house, the pool and can unlock my door and turn of the alarm if I need someone to go into the house for what ever reason.

There are cameras that record what I want to see and I can capture that data from a remote site. All of this and I never have to depend on or burden a neighbor who might feel guilty if something happened to my homes.

Just make sure your systems do not use phone or cable but only cellular communications. Sorry - I do not sell anything here so don't ask.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2015, 06:52 PM   #30

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
Just make sure your systems do not use phone or cable but only cellular communications.
And has a good battery.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
And has a good battery.
Most alarm systems have a minimum 4 ah sla battery. these will generally last about 3-5 years and run the system for about 24-36 hours without AC.I used 12 amp agm and they will run the system for about three days

AC power almost never goes out in either location. Of course if it does, I get a text.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:56 AM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I wonder how the batteries in the new cell phone based systems stack up?

I've heard about another new "easy" "DIY" system called Canary, but it uses your hardline internet connection, which can be cut.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:49 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
the cell phones we use GSM are connect to the alarms supply power and do not have a battery of their own. So I don't know which specific device you are referring too.
cost should always be a consideration.

A good alarm system should not rely on the internet or telephone for communications. Why would you want to pay twice for monitoring. first to alarm monitoring station and second to the cable company for a link that can be cut.

Self monitoring is a very poor option for most people. Good monitored systems advise if there is a problem with communications and call you, emergency contacts and the authorities directly with details generally within two minutes. By the time a self monitoring system communicates to you and you make a decision to call the authorities, find their number, give all the info they are asking, it could take five minutes before a dispatch. That is way to long.

If you have your own camera system and recorder you can send the data to a cloud dns and retrieve or watch your locations on multiple cameras for free except for the high speed internet connection.. of course you do have an upward initial cost of equipment in all these options but it last forever.

cable and phone service is expensive - especially if you not there for six months. So Alarm monitoring is normally available for the range of $20 monthly.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #34

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
the cell phones we use GSM are connect to the alarms supply power and do not have a battery of their own. So I don't know which specific device you are referring too.
The Simpli-Safe type all-in-one park it on your counter top and do all of the installation yourself and it's ready to go in minutes out of the box units.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:06 AM   #35
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I may have posted this before, however, we have an alarm system in our home. It monitors each outside door, has glass breaking alarms, has movement alarms, smoke, temperature, ect. It uses both landline and cell technology to alert a monitoring company who then tries to call one of us, or if they cannot locate us, call the authorities. After setup costs it is less than $20.00 a month.

Last Feb. we were asleep in OKC when my cell rang. It was the company alerting us that our house was below 40 degrees and it was 15 below zero outside. We called our furnace man and got it going before the day was out.

I think the system paid for itself that day.

2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote