Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2015, 11:58 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Security system while away s&b

Does anyone here that still has a S&B and have a security system on it? We are getting SimpliSafe security for S&B and looking for opinions from those that have this system. (hopefully someone does.) We will be heading south for 3 months and think alarm system is a good idea.

cyn

chiavet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2015, 12:08 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Someone to actually check on or stay at your home is a much better idea. Burglars will watch your place, maybe talk to neighbors, look in your mailbox (if it's not secure) to see if the mail stacks up or isn't being delivered at all, notice if you used to get a morning paper in the driveway and now you don't, etc. They'll even knock on your door at different times of the day for maybe even a few days until they know you're gone.

Then your stuff will be gone.

I house sit sometimes for folks when they are gone for long periods as a way to pick up a little money here and there. It makes a difference to have someone with an irregular schedule and a German Shepherd watch dog to answer the door or take pictures of people that are scoping out the mailbox or parked across the street looking "innocent".

The alarm system isn't a bad idea, but at least back it up with someone you trust that can come by and make sure everything is OK every once in a while.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:23 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
SimpliSafe is a good system. Effective and low cost.

Add someone to stop by at least weekly would be a good thing. Have them pock up flyers and such that get tossed in the driveway.

Turn off everything you can.
Stop or redirect mail.
Leave some lights on, timers to make some appearance of occupancy is good.

Enjoy the travel and don't worry about the homestead.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:24 PM   #4

Don't have Simplisafe, but do have a Frontpoint system. Just did it a little while ago. While in Branson, MO this year, got a call from 1 of 2 people watching our house. Told us it was broken into. Obviously they came in, in the early morning hours after probably casing the place knowing no one was here. Ruined our time away. Had to call the police, then cut our time short and run home to check things out. Was not to bad, but still a pain and then the loss of that piece of mind your supposed to have in your own home. And obviously the police don't have enough time to really run things down much. So we put in a system with all kinds of sensors and cameras. And I like that I can now control it from my phone along with seeing real time from the cameras. You can't stop them if they really want to get in. But you can help run them off if they do try.
Bpeter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:30 PM   #5

My Q-see system allows me to view the cameras from a smart phone. That certainly doesn't stop someone from entering your house and stealing but it is nice to periodically look inside the house. If it doesn't look right I can call the neighbors and they'll check it out for me. Bought the system at Costco several years ago. I believe there are systems that will call your phone if motion is detected.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:40 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I will say that the Simpli-Safe system, being cell phone based, is better than a system that can be effectively disable by cutting either the phone or cable TV/Internet line to the house. Even if burglars cut the power, phone, and cable TV/Internet lines, the Simpli-Safe system can still call the office and report a trigger as long as you live where there is a decent cell phone signal to the system.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:42 PM   #7

I don't have one of these yet....but it sounds like a super good idea !

https://ring.com

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1446226942.290941.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	110739

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1446226958.271985.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	110740
Old 10-30-2015, 12:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
My Q-see system allows me to view the cameras from a smart phone. That certainly doesn't stop someone from entering your house and stealing but it is nice to periodically look inside the house. If it doesn't look right I can call the neighbors and they'll check it out for me. Bought the system at Costco several years ago. I believe there are systems that will call your phone if motion is detected.
Our system will text and email if a motion sensor is activated. That is kind of nice. And the cameras are the same way if set to activate by motion.
The big reason we did it was even though we had 2 trusted people watching, they have lives of there own. And even though they would each check at different days of each week. Can't expect them to stay up all night and watch our place. I wanted the cameras because maybe we would get lucky and get a picture of someone in case it happens again. Then at least the police have someone to look for rather than say.......sorry, we just don't have the time. Even though we had lights on timers and even though 2 people were watching it for us including having keys to get in if needed. It still happened. Actually the one thing the cop told us, was that the thieves will place something on your garage door to see if it moves. If not, they know no one is home.
As said before by others and myself. You simply cannot stop them if they really want in. All you can do is help yourself maybe help get them caught or maybe help run them off.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:49 PM   #9

I have my neighbors to check the house and the local police department checks daily. I fill out a vacation form for the police department when we leave providing the dates and our contact information. Mail is either stopped or forwarded to our location. This has always severed me will in the past and will continue to in the future.

Also everything I own is stuff which can be replaced by insurance. The only item I can not replace is my DW and she is with me as we travel.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:03 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
... and the local police department checks daily. I fill out a vacation form for the police department when we leave providing the dates and our contact information.
Just FYI, many LE agencies no longer do this. Also, some burglars will see this occurs and wait for the person checking the house to come by, and have free reign in it after they leave.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Just FYI, many LE agencies no longer do this.
X2! Ours does not do that anymore. It would be nice if they did, but I can understand they have more pressing duties than babysitting our house.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:11 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
We have a security system and have had it for 15 years in this house. My home was vacant for two years when I was activated right after 9/11. Not a problem (knock on wood). My neighborhood watches the house when I'm gone. My alarm system is wireless. I do have family members check the house on different days. My neighbors have my cell number. A few years ago my youngest daughter moved in during our snowbird time, I had two different neighbors call and advise me about the people and trucks at my house. The security system is great to have, but you can't beat good neighbors.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:18 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Good alert neighbors should beat any alarm system any day of the week.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:22 PM   #14

We're having a very responsible college student house sit while we head south for the winter. We know her and know that she is responsibile. She gets free housing while she does her student teaching and we have the house issues taken care of. Should anything come up, my son is only a phone call away.

BillL is online now   Reply With Quote