Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2013, 04:45 AM   #1

Selecting right vehicle for need!!!

Had great info on last posting - giving me some insight and direction. Thought I would throw this one out for discussion.

4 months ago I had to resume control of my business, previously sold to my son but he bankrupted the business and I bailed it back out. Have 1 employee that I supply expense card to and a 2008 Ford Taurus for business use - he drives around 3000 miles a month.

My end of things - since resuming control I have had to use my van (2007 Odyssey) and I don't like using it for this purpose, pay myself the federal mileage and go on.

Thinking of buying a "used" vehicle for this purpose, continue paying myself mileage because this will likely only be for 3 to 5 years.

Selecting the best vehicle for the buck (and I will purchase used) but do I go after mileage, or durability, both???

So far - in the running is:
2006 - 2007 Ford Taurus with 3.0 engine ---- get at best around 27 - 29 mpg.

2006 - 2007 Honda Accord 4 cylinder auto - get at best around 30 - 32 mpg.

2006 - 2007 Honda Civic 4 cylinder auto - get at best around 32 - 35 mpg

2006 - 2007 VW 4 cylinder TDI diesel, auto - get at best around 36 to 40 mpg

Pricing is very close on any one of the above vehicles if one looks around enough ---- consideration is 1-durability (life cycle cost) and 2 - comfort because I will be driving it sometimes up to 8 hours a day.

I know there are other makes and models, however experience directs me gently toward the above.

Listening !!!!

Thoughts?

God Bless

Bill
Sepisllib is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2013, 06:55 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go for the Honda, hands down winner all the way! JMHO
Old 02-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Go for the Honda, hands down winner all the way! JMHO
X2 <---
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #4

Ford focus, heated seats

Had one for a contract job, 38 to 42 MPG on freeway and heated seats did wonders for lower back.

Price on used ones not too bad, some less than 6K, can be throw away
Old 02-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Ford focus, heated seats

Had one for a contract job, 38 to 42 MPG on freeway and heated seats did wonders for lower back.

Price on used ones not too bad, some less than 6K, can be throw away
Not that I am nervous about the Focus ---- but experience says that not every 4 cylinder vehicle is built for the "long haul" and by the time I finish up with whatever I buy --- it will have at least 200,000 more miles on it than when I bought it.

My experience says the Taurus 3.0 will handle the job, the Honda Accord will, Camery, and possibly a few others.....

GM products are out of the running - primarily because of their high life cycle costs.

Appreciate everyone's input --- keep them coming

God Bless

Bill
Old 02-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Last several cars/trucks we've owned were from Lexus, Toyota, Honda and Mercury, a Ford product. All of the Japanese cars were completely trouble free. Unfortunately I could not say the same for the Mercury.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
Last several cars/trucks we've owned were from Lexus, Toyota, Honda and Mercury, a Ford product. All of the Japanese cars were completely trouble free. Unfortunately I could not say the same for the Mercury.
I fully understand.

Actually I am leaning more toward the Honda Civic. Not by a lot, mind you, however I have owned most of the vehicles outlined and the most trouble free of all has been the Honda product, followed by the Taurus, and so on.

Life cycle cost is what I tend to look closely at, and of all the brands there are two that failed miserable, the Chrysler product and the GM product.

Otherwise ----- not quite there yet, still must dispose of a GM product before I undertake another vehicle. (Acquired a 2007 Denali Yukon XL - and while it is a beautiful vehicle, thus far the expenses to ready it for sale have exceeded $1200 and that part is frustrating).

God Bless

Bill
Old 02-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #8

In addition to the orginal investment you will need parts for any vehicle that you plan to put 200k miles on. I dont know if you do your own repairs or not but you might want to check a few prices on standard parts for each vehicle like brakes and rotors. With the cost of diesel over gas may make the extra MPG on the VW a wash. However as you probably know the engine will likely last longer than a gas engine.
Also with that much time on the road I would take into consideration all the different climate you may be driving in ie: snow freezing rain, and if that puts one car over another.
Also the chances of being in a accident are increased so do you really want to be in a Civic if your ever hit. Just some other things to consider beyond the price and mpg.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #9

Get the TDI. My husband is still driving his 2000 Jetta TDI with 275,000 miles on it. You have to make sure the timing belt is changed on time, but other than that we've had minimal repairs. My husband has the stick, and he gets 50 mpg. My father-in-law bought a new Passat with an automatic, and he got 43 mpg on the trip to TX over Christmas.
DDHB2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #10

Interesting to say the least.

Diesel here is $4.05 and gas is $3.70

So - Jetta for 50,000 miles yearly will generate fuel price of $4,500 year
Present vehicle is Taurus - 27 mpg average - comes out to $6,850 year
Go with 29 mpg vehicle ---- comes out to $6,380
And with 34 mpg gas ---- comes out to $5,440

Presently I drive vehicle that averages 23 mpg ---- comes to $8,040 year

So - with average maintenance, oil and filter, tires, and etc --- I can reasonably expect a vehicle to last me well over 200,000 (why you ask?) - well it is because I am very easy on vehicles - traditionally brakes last me well in excess of 100,000 before needing pads. I make sure maintenance is performed regularly, and I "listen" to my vehicle. The last Taurus I drove lasted me just over 300,000 with tires, battery, alternator, brakes, and minimal repairs.

I lean toward the Civic Hybrid ---- however realistically the Jetta TDI makes a lot of sense....

My only real question is ---- can I live with the Jetta. Will I be comfortable with this vehicle for months and years??? Only I can answer that ---

Do the math ---

God Bless

Bill
Old 02-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #11

Just asking if you lease a new auto can't you deduct 100% of the lease.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Just asking if you lease a new auto can't you deduct 100% of the lease.
I have not even attempted to investigate a "Lease" for this type of work.

I understand that leases limit the miles one puts on and that said, what would a lease cost for approximately 50,000 annual miles.

Plus - at the end of lease there may be penalties for over miles.

Anyone involved or knowledgeable about leases are welcome to chime in here.

God Bless

Bill