Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2019, 07:57 PM   #1

Self Defense Workshops for Women & Children

I am trying to gauge the feasibility of taking my self-defense business on the road once we begin traveling fulltime. Any feedback from the group is welcome.

As a retired LEO, I have had a substantial increase in business over the past few years and thought that offering workshops to schools, colleges, RV rallies, meet-ups, conferences, etc... might provide a revenue stream, as well as, bring safety to those who enjoy the outdoors.

TIA for any insight you all may have!

Be safe and well friends!

ADKBUG
ADKBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

A place to have the classes might be a problem. I doubt that many campgrounds would allow you to use the community centers for a "for-profit" venture.

Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:53 PM   #3

I appreciate the response and understand where you are coming from. I've worked out agreements in the past that the "host" would also receive compensation... I'm sure there are ways to make everyone happy.

There is a lot more work to do before we even launch... I was hoping to gain some idea as to how the concept would be received by those on this site.

Thanks again for bringing some of the hurdles to light!
Old 05-04-2019, 07:37 PM   #4

I think it is a great idea. Here are a few thoughts.

My 15 year old granddaughter has taken a few lessons as part of her CrossFit workout sessions and feels comfortable she knows what to do. And she is certainly strong enough. Problem is I don't know if she knows when to use the training. She is trusting young woman and drawing that line when and when not to use force would be hard for her. Can your training teach something like this?

Another problem I see in your idea is a lot of us are not stationary. That is we follow the 4 x 4 x 4 rule. Maximum of fours of driving , in the campground with a cold drink before four o'clock, and no more than four day in any one spot. How would we find out bout the classes, and how long would they normally take?

Can you incorporated your classes into a fitness program like Planet Fitness or other companies where some health insurances will partially pay for them?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #5

Sent you a PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:27 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Buy pepper foam. Do not buy any kind of spray that is an aerosol. Foam sends a stream of nastiness about 10-12 feet and isnt as nearly bothered by the wind like a normal spray. Self defense is fine but you have to practice to stay proficient at it.

I was a Police Officer for over 25 years.
Mcsap9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:36 AM   #7
Community Moderator

I never really cared for the foam type of self-defense sprays. I have used the streamers and foggers in the past. I like the streamers better. The spray I carry is FOX. I like it better than the Sabre Red. Sabre Red is hotter but the recovery time is a lot less than Fox. Fox has a longer recovery time period. But the issue I have experienced is if an individual is on heavy pysch medication neither may not effect them. I have seen individuals just stand there and take a face full of FOX or Sabre and just look at you.
I worked corrections for 27 plus years and retired as a Lieutenant
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:54 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Self defense courses are good but just like golf lessons...if you dont practice regularly, you are not going to make out very well.

Carrying a firearm is an option but the laws allowing you to carry vary greatly by state. Also, the use of force laws vary by state. Lastly, if you still choose to carry...are you willing to KILL someone ? Warning shots and “ wing em in the shoulder “ are not legal and are dangerous.

Pepper foam/ stream. Non lethal, will never kill anyone. Burns like crazy on 99% of the population. Legal in most places except New York City and I think DC. Takes little training , is cheap and will give you the time to escape.
Mcsap9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #9

Focusing on women and children is a nice marketing strategy, but as a retired police officer, you know that's the least likely group to ever need it. You already know that it's men who are most likely to be the victims of violent crime across the board with the only exception being sexual assault. Intentionally leaving out those that need the training the most while training those that don't need it most to be more aggressive is a recipe for disastrous long term results.

It's a good business plan because it plays to societal fears, but bad for society because it ignores those that need it most and makes the situation worse for them.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:18 AM   #10

MSHappyCampers,

Thanks for your response! My focus would be to offer training to meet up groups, universities, colleges and local organizations that have space available. I have had success partnering with various entities in working out an agreement to rent space or train their staff as a give-back.

We shall see.

Be safe & well!

ADKBUG
Old 05-23-2019, 10:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsap9213 View Post
Buy pepper foam. Do not buy any kind of spray that is an aerosol. Foam sends a stream of nastiness about 10-12 feet and isnt as nearly bothered by the wind like a normal spray. Self defense is fine but you have to practice to stay proficient at it.

I was a Police Officer for over 25 years.
Thanks for your insight! I am also a retired LEO and have used both aerosol and foam. I am offering to teach self-defense courses... The techniques we use are very basic, and I provide a written reference guide for reference.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
Focusing on women and children is a nice marketing strategy, but as a retired police officer, you know that's the least likely group to ever need it. You already know that it's men who are most likely to be the victims of violent crime across the board with the only exception being sexual assault. Intentionally leaving out those that need the training the most while training those that don't need it most to be more aggressive is a recipe for disastrous long term results.

It's a good business plan because it plays to societal fears, but bad for society because it ignores those that need it most and makes the situation worse for them.
Hi Itchytoe!

As a retired LEO, it has been my experience that women & children are more likely to be attacked/abducted while in a public setting... hiking, parking lots, stores, running, etc... Men are usually victims in social setting such as bars, sporting events, etc... Given that most boys/men grow up play fighting through sport, I do focus on women & children as they have little to no experience in defending themselves.

I appreciate your take on who I should gear my training toward and will keep that in mind moving forward.

Enjoy your retirement!

ADKBUG