Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #29

First off, let me admit that the wife did catch me driving down the road with my signal still on. Hearing is not as good as it once was, but even though I drive professionally, I can still make a mistake from time to time.

That said, driver-less cars and MH are a nice idea, but implementation is another item.

How is that google car going to deal with the nice ole' gent with the blinker on, going across the Geo Washington bridge? I don't know, cause often times I don't know how I'm going to handle it either.

Fully automated driving is already in place, as some have said, in the airline industry. I'll go further and mention other mass movement items like trains and even busses. These modern stagecoaches do not expect each person to drive, much is already automated.

But, as a nation, we generally do not want to go that way. A far smaller percentage of us use these massive automatons, because we like to drive out own cars (and RVs) ourselves.

It is not about the technology, it is about the people wanting or not wanting to share the road with these devices.

Believe me, I know plenty of people who could use a computerized assist, and many other who could use it and would not let it happen, and many others.

I don't see this too soon, but I have been wrong in the past.

KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2015, 08:57 AM   #30
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
This is going to happen sooner than you think. Tesla has revealed plans for a plug-in hybrid motor home.

Tesla unveils designs for a plug-in hybrid mobile home, the Model H Tesla Mobile Home - The Model H – Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building

"Priced at just $120,000, the Tesla Model H comfortably houses a family of four (or more, if your children are small and willing to share a bed). Inside the home, Tesla included all the amenities you’d expect: flat-screen TVs, a space-efficient kitchen, a bathroom with composting toilet and water-saving shower, and a built-in video monitoring system so you can keep an eye on your Model S while it’s parked outside. That last feature is important, of course, since the Model H won’t come with a garage.

Read more: Tesla unveils designs for a plug-in hybrid mobile home, the Model H | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building "
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Check the date. ;-)

More like check the page: “april Fools” | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:06 AM   #31
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I also think that is is just a matter of time and it will happen. It may be restricted to certain areas for quite some time, but eventually... well:

Look at today's automobiles. I have a 2013 Lincoln MKX and it is "half" computerized. It has adaptive cruise control, adaptive headlights, automatic windshield wipers, and a voice system that works fine (except Susy the navigator. She doesn't now her roads at all). I don't have the lane assist but my Son has it on his Ford Fussion. Stray toward any side o the lane you are in and the wheel vibrates and an alarm sounds.

I think we are on the way to the driver-less, automatic car.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:41 AM   #32

FWIW The short answer to how to handle the other guy is simple. He will not be there. It's an all or nothing game or it will be after the lawyers get done. That is why I expect the high volume traffic roads will go first with the commuter traffic driving it. Interstate highway traffic right in the same rough time frame and the rest maybe never or as it is built/rebuilt.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:57 PM   #33

This seemed relevent to revive the thread, was all over the news yesterday: Freightliner Trucks | Freightliner Introduces Inspiration Truck

Won't be long for the big rigs, already licensed in a few states and driving roads now for testing.

Heres is a Dalimer video of of their truck based on same technology that gives a good idea of it in operation:
Old 05-07-2015, 06:02 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't see it, lets just take all the fun out of driving and touring this great country.

I am all for safety systems ( collision avoidance, lane departure etc.) but I truly like driving, so no, I wouldn't drive one.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:42 PM   #35

Sorry for me hours and hours of interstate driving is not "fun" to me. I like the sights, which you can see more of since you don't have to pay attention to the road so much.

I would be happy with distance keeping radar cruise control. At this point every coach should have it along with collision avoidance.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:31 PM   #36
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
MY 2013 Lincoln has all that except for the hands free steering wheel. Well, almost everything. Adaptive cruise, adaptive headlights, auto windshield wipers, crash avoidance, etc.

I only have one problem with the "automatic RV (truck)." I'll be beyond my prime to enjoy it. Since I am the only driver of the MH, I don't get to see a lot of the sights.

I think it is a great concept.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:59 AM   #37

I like the concept but do not think the execution will be reliable until it is mandatory where used. Just watching the morons zip in and out on roads like I-95 is enough to make my point. I also think it will need an overall guidance controller that can re route and merge as needed.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
A system such as this would be really handy on I15 from Shelby to Tremonton. Miles and miles of miles and miles with low volumes of traffic.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:17 AM   #39

Funny, I was thinking I-95. Get in line and stay there. Stop the all the lane changing trying to get 3 cars ahead. ;-)
Old 05-09-2015, 08:04 PM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
won't live long enough to see it BUT with that being said, If every single vehicle on the road was self driving, wouldn't have a problem. But if it was a mix of both, not gonna work, too many variable with teens, adults, seniors + self drivers. The self driver couldn't predict the mistakes made by that many differences. Hopefully this makes sense to someone else cause it made sense to me.

cyn
chiavet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:02 AM   #41

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I don't think I'll live that long! And wouldn't trust that even if I did!
+100
Old 05-13-2015, 02:07 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
This is one of those things that will be like the automatic transmission. It would never last and it was not that dependable and it was full of problems. Now many of the bigger transport companies have gone to automatics in their OTR vehicles.

Then there were computers that would not last, were not dependable, etc.

It will be take long until the technology will be proven and accepted because it will work as good or better than what we do nowadays. There is financial gain to be made with the technology. You will reduce the stress on the driver which will let drivers drive longer and farther. Overall there are many more benefits.

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes