Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #1

Selling Jewelry

Hi, was wondering if it is ok in most RV parks to sell stuff out of you MH. My wife makes beaded jewelry as a hobby and wants to sell it while we are traveling. I was thinking of setting up a small table and sign. Is that ok or is it tacky?
Old Hippie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #2

I would surely check with the park manager and make sure that it is ok to do this. If the manager has no problem, then I think it would be fine.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #3

Most of the rv parks we have been to do not allow vending, selling, or business from their sites, although we have stayed at some where people were discretely selling their stuff - mostly wood carvings, etc. Have not personally seen someone with a display table set up. We have also stayed at places that hold regular sale days where all who want sell their stuff. You might also run a risk of someone thinking it is tacky and reporting your activity to the local tax/business license folks.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
I mostly camp in Public Campgrounds, and most prohibit vending/commercial activities by "campers".
Old 03-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hello &

Most CG's frown on selling. It's not a flea-market, it's a campground. If you're ever in doubt, speak with the campground manager.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #6

Surely there is a flea market nearby

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Why not try selling it thru Etsy or Artfire? You would then just be mailing off what people buy from you. Just add in enough to cover shipping and you should be fine.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #8

Wear some of the jewelry, along with a T-shirt that reads:
Like my hand made jewelry? Call this number:
or email:
Old 03-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
If you want to try selling jewlery or other crafts look around and apply at some of the craft sales along your route. Most are two to three day affairs and require an application in advance. I sell hand made pens and bowls at several fine craft fairs in the Smoky Mountian Region and am a member of the Foothills Craft Guild out of Knoxville. I avoid the flea markets because what I sell doesn't move in those crowds.

You might want to check with some of the show scheduling sites like Zapster and
www.fairsandfestivals.net

There are several others. Good luck.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
My wife does the same thing you are asking, a hobby for her while we are camping, every place has different rules, we read the rules in the paperwork when we get to a place, and most of the time we ask if it was ok. Down at Hilton Head Island RV Resort and Marina last spring nothing was in the rules so she went to the office and spoke to the owner and he said it was not allowed due to the ownership of the resort but he had her bring her jewerly to the office and he bought a couple of sets from her to sell in the office.

Click on photo to enlarge
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04596.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	431.3 KB
ID:	34839  
Old 03-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #11

just sit outside your MH and make some jewelry, some one passing by might ask about it , if they want to buy something off you go ahead, just dont set up a both, I take my taig lathe with me for something to do, and I sold a few pens to passer bys, I will never advertise.
gbstewart
Old 03-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
just sit outside your MH and make some jewelry, some one passing by might ask about it , if they want to buy something off you go ahead, just dont set up a both, I take my taig lathe with me for something to do, and I sold a few pens to passer bys, I will never advertise.
gbstewart
Good to see another turner on the board. I haven't taken my lathe on the road, yet. Miss N is hesitant about my taking it (Delta Midi).
Old 03-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricejh View Post
Good to see another turner on the board. I haven't taken my lathe on the road, yet. Miss N is hesitant about my taking it (Delta Midi).
yes good to see turners, I have a small mastercraft lathe at home, the taig was given to me, so I built a box for it and take stuff with me, I try take have all the blanks predrilled with tubes so I just have to turn when on the road, the taig is real small and It works well. I work better outdoors and if I can pick up few bucks all the better. I think its a better way to sell stuff, they see you makeing your stuff jewelry or knitting or what ever you have just as long as your makeing it. Me, I like walking around the parks and see people makeing things I bought a home made dog leash that someone was makeing
gbstewart
Old 03-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Agree on the handmade stuff. Far preferable to the imported plastic throwaway. And, it has a story.