Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Share your funny camping story.

Here’s our’s

Years ago while camping the DW & I witnessed the funniest thing I’ve ever seen while camping. We built a campfire and were setting around with some of the neighbors talking and telling stories. About 10:00 PM a rather large couple pulled into the spot across the street and began setting up their Apache pop up camper. After pulling out the bed’s, adjusting the support legs, and completing the set up they went into their camper for the night. Or at least that what we thought.

About a half hour later we heard a big bang and looked up just in time to see two naked people getting up off the ground and running to the door of the camper. Apparently they were being romantic and their combined weight collapsed the support legs, lifted the tongue off the ground and they rolled off the bed and out onto the ground. The bang was the tongue slamming back to the ground. At this point we tried to control our laughter; however I’m sure they heard us. We never saw them again and when we got up in the morning they were gone.

My appologies to this couple if they are forum members!

Marc & Jan
Molly, Abby & Katie | The Cocker K-9 Kids!|Toad 2014 Cadillac SRX
2012 Berkshire 360FWS, Brake Buddy Vantage|Wineguard Travler SK-3005 |TST 507 TPMS
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
Way back when we had a 1988 17' Type B MH, one house battery and one chassis battery. Went to a forest campground with no hookups. Did some reading with the lights on (see where this is going?). Of course we ran the battery down. Too late to run the engine to recharge the battery, no street lights, no electrical outlet to plug into.......
So I grab my trusty flashlight and.......... the bulb is burned out!
But it had a spare bulb in the base.......
But no light to see to get to the bulb........

Have you ever tried to get a bulb out and change it by the light of your watch dial?

Good thing it wasn't too cold as we couldn't run the furnace either and we were laughing too hard to "light a physical fire"!!

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
I live on the middle of the delta, very flat land so hills are something I don't see very often. I arrived at a new campground, pulled into my campsite, began to un hitch my trailer....it really didn't want to release from the hitch, so i decided it was a good idea to get up on the truck bumper and jump...yes it worked...worked so well the camper began to roll away all on its own... What a sight I must have been chasing my TT as it rolled down the hill. Did I really think I could stop a 26 ft trailer by myself? The tongue pad finally imbedded itself into the dirt and the thing stopped. I met some great folks that day...several other campers came to my rescue! We were able to get it back up the hill, on the campsite and set up.
Kaexel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
We were on the first trip in our new to us fiver. Tenting and sleeping in the back of my pickup had been the norm for me but my new bride wanted something more substantial. Got everything hooked up and...no shore or 12V power. What da he double hockey sticks? After messing around discovered the hard to reach breakers on the power post were shut off. (I discovered later the fuse on the house battery charge circuit was blown.) O.K., now everything is in order and we can go to bed. Rats, toilet won't flush I never thought to check the waste tanks, the previous owner hadn't dumped them. GRRRRR. Wife resorted to using a juice jug as she was not about to get dressed for the hike to the wash rooms, she was most unhappy.
We managed to remain calm during the weekend and got ready to pull out Monday morning. As I was unhooking the shore power I noticed a white pipe sticking out of the ground. Oh for bleeps sake. The stupid thing was the neighbor had his slinky out and I never picked up on it. I heard about that one for some time.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
It wasn't funny to the other guy but it was a great laugh to us. We were out in our MH (first trip for us as a shake down) and we are having a great second day. The sun is out 60+ on a May afternoon in the PNW having a cold one and relaxing. Nothing happening with our MH and thinking what a great nice first trip. Sitting in my site and see this brand new 32+ TT pull by and thinking wow thats nice. Its got new tags on the window and thinking how lucky they are. They get pulled into their site and I wait about 30 minutes to go introduce myself.

Take the dogs for a walk and say hey nice rig and we strike up a conversation. Their first trip and just picked it up from the dealer and doing a shakedown night. Great. I go on with the walk and return to my site and tell my DW about the TT. She goes looks and comes back and mentions how nice it is.

About 30 minutes later we hear a loud crash. I jump from my chair (spill my beer) and look in the direction of the new TT. Yes, it had crashed to the ground. They had taken it off the TV and leveled it up and opened the 2 slides and hooked everything up and had not chocked the wheels. I go running over to offer assistance and the front tongue is bent, the corner leveling jack is broken off and the corner of the TT in crushed. Not a good site.

I tell him I have a 3 ton jack in my MH and go get it. We lift the tongue up and place it on the TV and look at the damage. That was when I noticed no chalks on the dual wheels. When I ask him he says, "What wheel chalks?" I say anytime you have a TT you need chalks to keep the TT from rolling. He says, "I've never pulled anything bigger that a popup." I didn't think I needed chalks. REALLY.

It was hard to not laugh at him. I mentioned a couple of different types to buy when he took the TT back for repairs and left.

Went to my campsite and had a good laugh. I know it wasn't funny to him, but I couldn't believe that you would spend $25K+ on a TT and not know about wheel chalks.

Still funny to me
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote