Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2007, 09:33 AM   #1

I am shopping for a basic camera to post pictures on the net.This would help to show issues that I am working thru on my project rebuild of my RV.I went ot Walmart and looked at a SamSung model S730B.They are charging $129.94 for it and I would also buy rechargeable batteries,a memory card,and the extended protection plan for it.The total cost would be in the $180.00 range.Opinions of this model would sure help.

Thanks In Advance,

Gary

BTW:I know very little about this subject and just enough about computers to post these threads you see from me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2007, 09:33 AM   #2

I am shopping for a basic camera to post pictures on the net.This would help to show issues that I am working thru on my project rebuild of my RV.I went ot Walmart and looked at a SamSung model S730B.They are charging $129.94 for it and I would also buy rechargeable batteries,a memory card,and the extended protection plan for it.The total cost would be in the $180.00 range.Opinions of this model would sure help.

Thanks In Advance,

Gary

BTW:I know very little about this subject and just enough about computers to post these threads you see from me.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:09 AM   #3

Most of the point and shoot digital cameras on the market today will do what you want. If it were me I would look for something in the 3 megapixel range. That will produce good pictures for the web (better than needed) and you can still print an acceptable image from most color ink jet printers. I'm not sure I would spend the money on the extended warranty, If the camera makes it through the manufacturer warranty it should be just fine.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:12 AM   #4

OK, I am not familiar with that exact camera, but the price is right depending on the features. My mom and sister's love their Kodak and I think I will buy one next. I have a Fuji that I have no probs with, but the nights pics are not the best.

Now, for a quick overview of digital cameras...

1) The most you will need is about 4 pixels. This resolution will look nice on your computer and you can get decent prints with it as well. If you plan on doing a lot of fancy photo shop stuff, you will want more pixels, but 4 is fine for most people.

2) Look for optical zoom, not digital zoom. With the optical, you can zoom and not lose your resolution. Mine is 4x optical and 3x digital. I would really like a 10x optical zoom, but I cannot afford it right now, plus the 10x zoom cameras are too big for me. I am waiting for a pocket size 10x zoom, but I am dreaming for now.

3) A good basic camera should cost you no more than $150. Walmart has had the best prices that I have found, but you may peek around online to check before you buy.

4) Buy a decent battery charger. The one that is black and tiny and only around $10 is not good. You get what you pay for. It does not fully charge my batteries. I thought my camera was just eating them until I used my mom's charger. What a difference. Walmart sells one for around $20 that has 2 cords, one for your car and one for home, I really like that one. It is grey. It charges quick and fully.

5) The price of mem cards are great right now. The one thing I don't like about my Fuji is that it takes an XD card. I don't know anything else that takes an XD. Most things take an SD. Also, my mom's computer won't accept the XD. When I bought my computer I had to make sure it did. If I did it again, I would get a camera that took an SD card because they are easier to find and share. Of course when I do, then my XDs won't work on my new camera. Just something to think about.

6) and Last... Samsung is a good brand as far as I know. I have a few things made by them and never had a prob. Hope someone can give you more specific info on that camera.

Good luck!!!

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:18 PM   #5
paz

I second what mamaloya said. One thing I would add is to get as large an LCD as you can and make sure you can see it in bright light. Our first digital camera would have been useless outside except that it also had a viewfinder in addition to the LCD. Many of todays LCDs have better coatings to make them more visible in bright light; but check it out, especially if it doesn't have a viewfinder.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:40 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would also stick with the brands that actually make cameras for a living...like Nikon, Canon and such. Also make sure the storage is a SD or CF card that you can down load easily to your computer.

Ken
Old 10-01-2007, 04:46 PM   #7

It just so happens that I just bought a new one a couple weeks ago I looked at a large number of them in the 89.00 to 175.00 and settled on a nice little Kodak easy share c533 It has 4.5 pix as wel as two different closeup and wide angle modes ,and it is easy share as it plug and playes flawlessly onto my laptop (win XP) good luck and have fun

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:14 PM   #8

Amazon.com has the Kodak EasyShare C653 for $113. It looks like a great camera for the price.

Good luck in your search!
Old 10-01-2007, 09:33 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Some cameras will take either an xD or SD card. If it only takes an xD card .. then you can always get a card reader that plugs into your computer via an USB cord.(I have a camera that has an xD & SD slot - so I can use either card at any one time)...THIS MAY NOT Matter... if your camera has a cord that plugs into a USB slot .. you can always download directly to the computer this way... but loading the card directly to the computer will be faster!
Also ...get as big a megapixel camera that you can afford - it will last you for a long time...
Good Luck and enjoy!
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:28 AM   #10

I went with a Fuji S602. It was sitting next to the doghouse in a Samsonite soft case when my motorhome caught fire last year. Even though the valve covers and engine intake melted from the heat the camera survived. After we cut it from the case it took the picture posted here.

After the fire!
If you want it for pics of your RV repairs then you will want one with a decent built in flash, a lens that goes wider then a 28mm equivalency when compared to a 35mm film camera, a good macro/closeup mode that allows the use of the flash(some don't), good battery life and takes standard batteries so you can purchase them anywhere and not have the camera obsoleted because the proprietary battery was phased out a year after you bought the camera and in a pinch you can get emergency batteries at the Camp store or a local Whatever-Mart.

If you want an occasional 8X10 go with a 6 mega pixel minimum. This will also allow for cropping with decent results if you can't get close enough.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:58 PM   #11

Thanks all for your posts
Old 12-15-2007, 07:07 PM   #12

Is there a general preference as to replaceable/re-chargable batteries vs. the re-chargable battery pack that is actually mounted to the camera? Also I would like at least at a 28MM wide angle capability but the best I have seen so far is about 35-38 then it goes on up to around 400 telephoto on a 10X or 12X. Which ones would have 28 wide angle?
Wagonmaster2
Old 12-15-2007, 07:20 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Wagonmaster,
Are you looking for a camcorder or digital camera??
Old 12-16-2007, 05:57 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
That zoom range is a pretty tall order.

However, there is the OLYMPUS SP-560 UZ which has a zoom range of 27-486 mm (35mm equiv).

This camera uses 4 AA batteries, and if your zoom range is the primary consideration, then the power source is not important.

I have cameras with both rechargeable and throw away batteries, and neither is better than other, just different.

I would buy the camera that suits your needs, and not worry about the power source.

My Canon S3 IS uses AA's and I always keep 4 extras in the camera case.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote