Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-Am.Star View Post
My guess would be hubby ie husband.
D'oh..after I read a few posts I finally figgered it out. I have nev seen it abbreviatedf that way b4.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
We all know spouses can't drive as good as we can.

ronspradley
Can I get an "amen."

I agree that both partners should be able to drive if necessary. For the most part, hubby driving and me nag... er, NAVIGATING, works for us.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #17

Put me on the list of: I wish my wife would just try to drive it. The Dutch Star is so easy.

She says the width it what bothers hers. Hope to get her to a driving school.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I am a big believer that BOTH parties should be able to drive the rig. What if one of you gets hurt? or can't drive for other reasons. We've had this happen several times while RVing..hubby had to fly home for an emergency, or hurt his back, or I had an accident. Thank goodness we both can handle the entire rig.

My advice would be to sign him up for RV driving school. Plenty around which can help him learn. Take an RV trip specifically to get to one if you have to.

Here's a link:
http://www.rvschool.com/rvschool/Home.html

If there no schools anywhere close, then the easiest first step is to start in an empty parking lot. Look at YouTube videos before you go and then practice in the lot so he gets a feel for the size of the rig. Then move onto easy streets, then more major roads. That's basically how I learnt to drive.

And of course the last golden rule. Don't ever pull into or out of a site without a spotter. No matter how easy you think it will be. We've kept this rule firm and fast since our ONE tree incident without a spotter...that taught us real fast. We now have a very tight set of hand signals that we use in camp and never, ever get into or out of a site without using them.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:39 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My mom goes with us in the RV, she'll sleep when I drive. When I let DH drive and she's with, she is awake and watching him like a hawk. The last trip, she told me "you drive" then told me she was never afraid to ride with my dad even if he was drunk and she thinks I got my driving from him, she's comfortable with me driving evening through a big city. Funny how neither have asked me how I learned to drive - I'd probably give them a heart attack if I told them the ex and I got into it and he told me to drive going through LA at rush hour when I was 23 years old. It was his mistake, as I became really independent after that trip!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #20

OP; did you pay for your RV, or did both of you? If it was your money it's your RV, if you both paid for the RV it belongs to you both equally. Your post sounds demeaning to your husband without any sign of helping him learn to drive the RV safely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Kay View Post
My mom goes with us in the RV, she'll sleep when I drive. When I let DH drive and she's with, she is awake and watching him like a hawk. The last trip, she told me "you drive" then told me she was never afraid to ride with my dad even if he was drunk and she thinks I got my driving from him, she's comfortable with me driving evening through a big city. Funny how neither have asked me how I learned to drive - I'd probably give them a heart attack if I told them the ex and I got into it and he told me to drive going through LA at rush hour when I was 23 years old. It was his mistake, as I became really independent after that trip!
Did she mean you got your drunk driving from your dad?
Old 12-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #21

I don't get a choice except at night and Minneapolis.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
DW driving

My wife drives on the inside lane and passes 18 wheelers with excellent results and while in the passenger seat I swear she is going to get our mirror tangled up with the truck she is passing. I really can't take too much of that and end up doing most of the driving which is more relaxing. She's a good driver but 40 feet long and 32000 pounds is not at all like her Toyota Venza

If something were to happen to me at least I know she can handle our DP and we have actually rehersed an event if I croaked at the wheel. Scarry stuff but necessary we feel.

My two cents on this topic.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:45 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
OP; did you pay for your RV, or did both of you? If it was your money it's your RV, if you both paid for the RV it belongs to you both equally. Your post sounds demeaning to your husband without any sign of helping him learn to drive the RV safely.

Did she mean you got your drunk driving from your dad?
First of all, YES - I did pay for the RV, secondly, YES it was MY money, every penny of it. Third - It is my RV not his, now I did pay half of the first one we purchased together, and I told him he could have the thing because I did not like it, the reason I bought one that I liked and felt comfortable driving. Forth, my dad never drank and drive - my mother used it has a "point to make to me" that she would rather drive with my dad when he was drunk then drive when my DH was driving. She made that comment to me thinking I would take her concerns more serious than she thought I was taking them.

The first RV we purchased together, he took off the rear bumper not once but twice. Once we stopped to fuel and he came 2 inches from taking the pump out when he pulled out. Another time, he jetted across the intersection into the gas station and had a tail spin where the pole holding up the cover of the fueling area almost became the RV blanket. So for me to get upset and angry about his driving is more than warranted. He thinks he knows what he's doing and he don't. He is just being stubborn about it.

Now as for you thinking I am beeing demeaning towards the DH, let me say this, some MEN think they are the greatest drivers and when they get lost, they continue driving around HOPING to find a way out. My DH has the gosh awful habit of driving with the left front tire on the middle line that seperates the two way traffic, if we are on an interstate, depending on the lane he's in - he drives half on the shoulder most of the time. I do not care to replace tires on every vehicle constantly, and when your in a big rig like the 40 foot RV it wouldn't take much to flip it or have the rear land in the ditch. I have offered to send him to Drivers School, I have taken him to the HS parking lots on Sunday's and he simply gets upset and tells me to drive it then. Some men cannot accept help because they don't think they need it for the mere fact they have "driven this way all their life and haven't killed anyone yet" and I am really sorry but after letting him drive my suburban 3 times in a 9 day period, each resulted in a bill for over $1200 each time, he had 3 accidents. He was all alone, the last accident he came home and tossed the keys into the house and stood outside. I already knew what happened, the police called me since the vehicle was registered to me. All three times, a result of him HOGGING the middle line. One of these days he will give up his mucho image and take my advice and sign up for the driving course, otherwise - this wife will take all vehicles and keys away for the safety of all who use the roads in America. He drives like he's driving an old John Deere tractor in the Wheat field, sorry but someone has to take the bull by the horns and put the foot down before there is a fatal accident, so I have put my foot down. Like or not, it's not demeaning it's essential so that no one gets hurt and property doesn't get damaged.

He lucky he has a wife that loves and cares enough to stand up the last one didn't give a crap about him, least this one loves and wants him around for a long time. So I will do whatever I need to do to make sure he's a wee bit safer until he figures out that drivers course isn't so bad after all.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #24

But we always get home!!!!!!!!!! Cheers Gerald
Old 12-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #25
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's yours, you make the rules.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuydog View Post

If something were to happen to me at least I know she can handle our DP and we have actually rehersed an event if I croaked at the wheel. Scarry stuff but necessary we feel.

My two cents on this topic.
X2, a true test of prepare for the worst, any one who sits in the passenger seat of DP should be versed in this , and the main reason why a number of coaches mount the park brake control; air brake;, out where the passenger can access it.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #27

This has been an 'interesting' topic! During my many years in the military, some of my 'duties' included, being a drivers trainer, road tester and Master driver. There are just some people that have NO business behind the wheel on vehicle no matter what that vehicle is. I have seen female drivers that could put males to shame and I have seen males drivers that were very good. Some people can not multi-task, which is a must when driving a large vehicle.
For us, I drive and the DW, enjoys the ride. If I get tired we stop for a break which more then likely is over due anyway. We also have another family that we camp with and the DW does ALL of the driving. She drives a school bus all of the time and enjoys driving anyway. Can her DH drive, you bet he can as he is also a master driver in the military.
Point is that NOT everyone can drive a large vehicle and my hat is off to those that can except that. It makes the roads safer for all of us.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #28

I think there are more bad passengers than there are bad drivers

datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote