Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Should I let my hub try to drive my rv again?

I am the driver of my 35 ft fifth wheel, and have been since 2006. I always was afraid of letting my hub drive it, I didn't know why until this summer. Now I know why. I had him try to pull it out from a rather( very easy) road unto another, and there was one guard rail. Now there isn't, nor are there steps on my rv.

I am just not sure if the next try will be better, or if it might get worse.
I mean, how bad could it get. Well, could get bad, real bad, but then again he has good life insurance. The first time, I drove my car to lead the way. I wasn't stupid enough to ride with him. That's how I know, I'll still be around, if it got real bad, to enjoy the $. Just for laughs.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2012, 12:52 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Technically you are the driver of a vehicle that pulls a 5th wheel trailer......

LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:53 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
LOL Kathy - I am with you on this. We own a 37' PA and it's a gas one. I drive 20 minutes and stopped it, got out and told my hubby he could keep it as I was going to find an RV that I could drive.

I think I shopped about a month for one. I was looking for a Class C, then a salesman convinced me I should try the Class A and he had a 40' Bounder. I took it for a test drive. WOW I really liked it, and wanted to buy it but after researching online found a couple units a couple years newer, less mileage better shape and about $25K less. '

I now wanted a CLASS A Diesel. So I went shopping for one of those. I found one by private owner and went to test drive it. Fell in love with the Winnie and researched pricing and found the asking price was about $11K below everyone else in the lower 48. So I talked him down another $5K and drive it home.

A week later we set out for WA state. I let DH drive it once we got past Cheyenne Wyo. He drove for 1.5 hours, 56 times crossed the right line on right side. I managed to figure out that I wanted to stop at the rest area and get out and walk around.

Using the rest area stop of course as an EXCUSE for me to get back into my drivers seat. Once I did, I made the announcement. I am the driver, DH is co-pilot and if I get tired, I will park and sleep with keys in my purse.

Rule 1, DH not permitted in my purse
Rule 2, RV is mine he no can drive without drivers school course
Rule 3, refer to Rule 2.

I drive, he sits really nice and quiet like a DH should. Save yourself the STRESS and do the driving yourself.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #4

X2 here. AND...........I do all hookups, breakdown, and maintenance. Occasionally he goes along for the ride.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Keep on Driving

I do admit, I luv this man dearly. BUT, I still can't figure out after all these years why I know what's going on in the real world, OURS, and he is still just trying to figure it out. We're men really born for only one thing...actually two. The second is fixing things I can't. See, I gave him some credit.

Here is the first of my list why men really are great...
They are so cute when they play SANTA...cont
Old 12-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #6

We are in exactly the opposite boat...my wife hates driving...I should say, refuses to drive our Bounder 33U...so in retaliation...she has to drive the toad everywhere after we arrive...well, that is after we get the toad, get the MH out of the shop and actually get to go on a trip...

I wish that I could kick back on the open road and just watch the scenery...My wife navigates, I drive.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
The thing is...

The thing is that both hub and wife, or whatever these days, should both be able to drive anything and safely. I wanted him to learn to drive the stupid thing because i was sick and at the time boondocking by myself as a nice retreat about half hour from where we live. A beautiful wilderness area with a great campground/field near a giant reservoir. I go on my retreat every year and know the area well, know the troupers who patrole and have plenty,PLENTY of safety plans. I go bushwacking ad set up my night vision cameras and film wildlife at night. Incredible!!! Back to the reason, well i got bit by some ticks a while back, and recently and i developed Lyme disease. It not only attacked my knee, but gets me exhausted and with cronic pain when i get a flare up. LIKE NOW, which is why i am being lazy and catching up on my computer networking. When I was in the woods, THAT unfortunate time, I just couldnt move one day and asked him to come and help me get out. So that is the story, PLUS< DON'T GET LYME DISEASE!!! PLEASE if you get bit by those little critters, get multiple tests, and dont believe your GP when he tells you its all fine and well, when you just feel like crap!!!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
He (she) will never learn if you dont let them. That includes making mistakes. YOUR job as the teacher includes anticipating those mistakes and correcting them BEFORE they happen. You cannot do that if you are not there with them. Being in front 'cause you're 'scared' is not the way to do it.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyp View Post
I am the driver of my 35 ft fifth wheel, and have been since 2006. I always was afraid of letting my hub drive it, I didn't know why until this summer. Now I know why. I had him try to pull it out from a rather( very easy) road unto another, and there was one guard rail. Now there isn't, nor are there steps on my rv.

I am just not sure if the next try will be better, or if it might get worse.
I mean, how bad could it get. Well, could get bad, real bad, but then again he has good life insurance. The first time, I drove my car to lead the way. I wasn't stupid enough to ride with him. That's how I know, I'll still be around, if it got real bad, to enjoy the $. Just for laughs.
What is a hub?

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
My guess would be hubby ie husband.
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #11

i take my hat off to all the ladies that are the primary drivers. if you want to take a chance on teaching your other half. find a really really big parking lot. set out some cones and don't get to frustrated.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Women are statistically better drivers than men- that's why insurance rates are so much lower. And it continues to hold true even now that the number of licensed women has surpassed that of licensed men.

Here's a recent study to that effect: Which sex is the better driver?
Old 12-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I've seen some pretty bad drivers either sex.
I've seen some pretty good drivers either sex.

If I said I was better than the opposite sex in driving, I might throw my arm out of joint patting myself on the back. He He.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
We all know spouses can't drive as good as we can.

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote