Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2018, 05:44 PM   #1

Shoulder Surgery

I'm having shoulder surgery next week (Subscapularis tendon tear, and Bicep tendon displacement repair,) and am wondering about how long before this 60 year old can start to drive our 45 foot class A again. Doc says I'm going to have to be in a sling for a month and then physical therapy begins. We're in the coach in Southern California for the winter and I am having the surgery here. It gets too hot to be here pretty quickly after June 1, so if it's unrealistic to think we can get out of here before it gets hot, then we need to be looking for a driver. We understand that if we can get on the road, that we'll have to figure out how to get physical therapy along the way, and DW has always helped with docking and departing but I don't want her to have to do everything.

Looking for other peoples experiences.

Thanks
cinitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2018, 06:09 PM   #2

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinitall View Post
I'm having shoulder surgery next week (Subscapularis tendon tear, and Bicep tendon displacement repair,) and am wondering about how long before this 60 year old can start to drive our 45 foot class A again. Doc says I'm going to have to be in a sling for a month and then physical therapy begins. We're in the coach in Southern California for the winter and I am having the surgery here. It gets too hot to be here pretty quickly after June 1, so if it's unrealistic to think we can get out of here before it gets hot, then we need to be looking for a driver. We understand that if we can get on the road, that we'll have to figure out how to get physical therapy along the way, and DW has always helped with docking and departing but I don't want her to have to do everything.

Thanks
in 2014 I had right rotator cuff surgery and had physical therapy for two months. I was able to drive about 7 weeks after surgery. not heavy driving but steady. not recommended to do heavy stretching like trying to hook up toad to heavy tow bar. but i would bet that therte are many folks in campgrounds that will help. by the way I was 70 when I had mine. best of success on your surgery.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:48 PM   #3

It really depends if it is your dominate side shoulder, and how bad the tear is. I've had three shoulder surgeries. When I had my right shoulder done(same situation as you) the tear was much worse than the MRI showed, and the surgery ended up being about 6 hours long. I have about 14 anchors holding it all together. The good news is it has been 5 years since that surgery and I have full range of motion and no pain. The bad news was that the recovery was long and painful. They extended the use of my sling from 6 to 8 weeks and subsequently had to have a second surgery to remove some scar tissue which was binding the shoulder. Being it was my right shoulder(I'm right handed) the recovery took longer and more of a pain function wise. I was able to drive a car in about 6 weeks. I was not able to drive the MH, or do any of the dump hookups ect. for at least 4 months. The physical therapy will most likely go longer than expected even if you do everything they tell you to. Overall it took about a full year to recover full range of motion, with a little pain, and about 18 months to completely heal.

When I had my left shoulder done about two years ago, it was less of a tear and a much quicker recovery. Being it was my left side it didn't affect me nearly as bad as the right shoulder did. The recovery and physical therapy went a lot better, I only had to use a sling for 4 weeks, and started physical therapy at 4 weeks. But I still wasn't pain free with full motion for about a year. I was able to drive a car in about 4 weeks, and was able to drive the MH in about 3 months. The hookups/dumping ect were still a bit of a problem.

One of the things that may help you is if you don't have a recliner you might want to get one if you can. It is really hard to sleep in bed, so I slept in a recliner for about 6 weeks. If you don't have a recliner then you will need to prop up pillows so you are sleeping somewhat in an upright position, that will help a lot with the pain and keep you from moving the arm during your sleep. I had to keep the sling on 24/7 for 8 weeks, even when you sleep. They send you home with an ice machine hooked up to keep the swelling/pain down. I used that 24/7 for about 2 weeks, and then several hours each day for a few months.

I was 57 when I had the first surgery, and 59 when I had the second one. I'm not trying to scare you but the better prepared you are the better you will do after the surgery. I have also talked to people who felt fine within a few weeks, but their tears were minor and did not have both issues going. Good luck and hopefully it is a quick recovery for you.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
It really depends if it is your dominate side shoulder, and how bad the tear is. I've had three shoulder surgeries. When I had my right shoulder done(same situation as you) the tear was much worse than the MRI showed, and the surgery ended up being about 6 hours long. I have about 14 anchors holding it all together. The good news is it has been 5 years since that surgery and I have full range of motion and no pain. The bad news was that the recovery was long and painful. They extended the use of my sling from 6 to 8 weeks and subsequently had to have a second surgery to remove some scar tissue which was binding the shoulder. Being it was my right shoulder(I'm right handed) the recovery took longer and more of a pain function wise. I was able to drive a car in about 6 weeks. I was not able to drive the MH, or do any of the dump hookups ect. for at least 4 months. The physical therapy will most likely go longer than expected even if you do everything they tell you to. Overall it took about a full year to recover full range of motion, with a little pain, and about 18 months to completely heal.

When I had my left shoulder done about two years ago, it was less of a tear and a much quicker recovery. Being it was my left side it didn't affect me nearly as bad as the right shoulder did. The recovery and physical therapy went a lot better, I only had to use a sling for 4 weeks, and started physical therapy at 4 weeks. But I still wasn't pain free with full motion for about a year. I was able to drive a car in about 4 weeks, and was able to drive the MH in about 3 months. The hookups/dumping ect were still a bit of a problem.

One of the things that may help you is if you don't have a recliner you might want to get one if you can. It is really hard to sleep in bed, so I slept in a recliner for about 6 weeks. If you don't have a recliner then you will need to prop up pillows so you are sleeping somewhat in an upright position, that will help a lot with the pain and keep you from moving the arm during your sleep. I had to keep the sling on 24/7 for 8 weeks, even when you sleep. They send you home with an ice machine hooked up to keep the swelling/pain down. I used that 24/7 for about 2 weeks, and then several hours each day for a few months.

I was 57 when I had the first surgery, and 59 when I had the second one. I'm not trying to scare you but the better prepared you are the better you will do after the surgery. I have also talked to people who felt fine within a few weeks, but their tears were minor and did not have both issues going. Good luck and hopefully it is a quick recovery for you.
In 2 days I'll be 4 weeks from my surgery, I'm the same as above. It was a bigger tear then they thought. I drive our car, but would have a tough time pulling and setting up our 5ver. I'm pretty much screwed for the summer. Good luck. And don't push it, I hear you can re-tear very easy.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:04 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I had rotator cuff surgery on my left shoulder several years ago. I went through the surgery fine, but when I started the PT I thought I was gonna DIE! Sure hope yours is not that bad!

I don't remember how long it was before I could drive.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:16 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wow, I've never had shoulder surgery and hope I never do! The left knee I gad done Dec 29th was bad enough.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:18 PM   #7

Thanks to all for the responses and PM's. We had heard that it's a tough recovery, doesn't look like I'll be driving the coach anytime soon. I had arthroscopic surgery on both knees 6 weeks ago and was able to get by with taking only one of the prescription pain pills, doesn't look like I'll be so lucky this time, I don't like the side effects of those things. Anyone with joint issues should check out the "Ice Machines" that circulate ice water through a bladder around the joint, they really work well!!
Old 03-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #8

I had a AC joint separation / ( collar bone end ruptured up -out of shoulder joint ) Due to motorcycle accident on I-80 , Iowa. Got sent to a bad surgeon , thanks to my family Dr.'s office & obamacare . = 2 failed surgeries , 3/4 of a wasted year with that mess. Finally went to a good surgeon , based on MY research . w/ special insurance allow deal. 3rd surgery finally fixed it + another half year of healing . I am & probably will stay about 95% . I am always worried the connecting tether holding my collar bone end down into my shoulder would break , again , like my first 2 operations did ! As far as being able to drive , I wasn't allowed to drive for a couple months , but really , I could have easily drove a car after I got off of post-op pain pills , which I was only on for about 4 days after the last 2 operations each . Pain pills didn't really do much for me , all 3 times . Still got 6 , mostly full bottles left , I never used.
TourNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:47 PM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Two years ago I had both shoulders replaced with artificial joints.....
(Yes they literally cut my arms off and re-attached)
The first one (off hand side) after 2 months of PT, when I could reach far enough behind to take care of toiletries, they replaced my predominant side...
PT IS a Bi*** !
WARNING!!!!
DO NOT try to be a hero and push the physical regiment any further than the therapist wants you to do at any given time....! It is very easy to "over due" and cause severe damage to yourself.. THEN you will have to go back under the knife!!!!

I did not drive for 5 months.... primarily because all our vehicles are manual transmissions..excepting the Motor Home and being under the influence of some really good drugs...
I now have 75% to 80% range of motion and If I use both arms can pick up 75 lbs...but surgeon warns me to not push the envelope any further...I just deal with it.
Unlike hips or knees...( your body weight pushes the joint further into the affected bones)
The shoulders however.... the weight you pick up "Pulls" the joint away from the arm bone..and the only thing keeping everything attached is glue..

I now wish that I'd had the shoulders replaced 15 years ago....I sleep all night without pain..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:34 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinitall View Post

Thanks
I had rotator a couple years back on left shoulder, had surgery second week of August and was driving the boat 5 weeks later. Hooking up a toad could be an issue however. I did my own PT , it is extremely important that you do the pt to get full use going again, it is painful but necessary. Good luck to ya.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:19 PM   #11

4 years ago I had my right shoulder (partial ball only) joint replaced and 1-1/2 years ago had the left one (complete ball and socket) done. PT was hard work, two times a week (6 & 4 months) and every day at home. Still have some pain at times but nothing like it was before. I can now raise my arms over my head where before I was only able to about should high.
mrcchiefe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
In 2 days I'll be 4 weeks from my surgery, I'm the same as above. It was a bigger tear then they thought. I drive our car, but would have a tough time pulling and setting up our 5ver. I'm pretty much screwed for the summer. Good luck. And don't push it, I hear you can re-tear very easy.

UPDATE: I woke up a few days ago with a new horrible pain in my upper bicep, Saw my surgeon yesterday, He stopped my PT until April 9th. I didn't have this much pain right after surgery. He doesn't think I re-tore it but time will tell
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 03:27 PM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
UPDATE: I woke up a few days ago with a new horrible pain in my upper bicep, Saw my surgeon yesterday, He stopped my PT until April 9th. I didn't have this much pain right after surgery. He doesn't think I re-tore it but time will tell
OH NUTZ!!!!! Hope that you did not have a sewn tendon snap....
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:25 PM   #14

OUCH!!! Hopefully you didn't tear it again, thankfully you have 4 weeks of healing on your side. Please keep us as posted to what it is and how they deal with it. I had my shoulder surgery today and re-tearing and PT pain are two concerns I have. They gave me a nerve blocker before surgery and told me it would keep the arm numb for 10-12 hours afterwards, but that is not the case. Going to try to stay on top of it with the pain meds, but I hope the Dr. is right and I can start weaning myself off of them after 3 or 4 days. Between this surgery and having both knees scoped 7 weeks ago, I am going to owe the DW for all of her great help.