Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My xwife and I were driving down the road one evening and looked over at a local restraunt and were surprised to see my pickup parked in front of it in a handicap space. I have had both knees replaced and broke my back several years ago. I have a plackard for the truck and keep it in the side pocket. Well my stepdaughter and her friends couldn't find a parking space anywhere and decided to use my plackard in the space. Well when she got home she found out that she was walking for the next month and that took care of that problem from then on....Happy Trails...
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Just adding onto what most others have said. We stay alot at State Parks and the handicapped sites, where available, tend to be larger, are often paved (even if the other sites are not) and usually closer to the restroom. Hookups vary depending on what's available at the park. As others have said calling ahead is a good option.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant80 View Post
It may not be evident what the disability is but a Doctor recommended a Disability placard be issued to that person. A more correct statement might be people with lesser disabilities were using the parking spots. For example: DW cannot walk without assistance but only uses a wheelchair at the doctors office. Usually, my assistance is required until she can get a shopping cart to balance herself.
I agree fully with you! I have a similar problem as your wife has. When I leave my vehicle, most people wouldn't know that I have a problem (Ok, it takes me a little longer to get out of the vehicle, and I need to open the door as wide as possible). My problem is that I can walk only a short distance, if I do not use any support (shopping carts are great walking aids ).
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #18

Send a message via MSN to Pghwizard Send a message via Yahoo to Pghwizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATMANAR View Post
My xwife and I were driving down the road one evening and looked over at a local restraunt and were surprised to see my pickup parked in front of it in a handicap space. I have had both knees replaced and broke my back several years ago. I have a plackard for the truck and keep it in the side pocket. Well my stepdaughter and her friends couldn't find a parking space anywhere and decided to use my plackard in the space. Well when she got home she found out that she was walking for the next month and that took care of that problem from then on....Happy Trails...

Exactly what I would have done.

Hey gang I really didn't mean to start anything here, I'm the rookie and want to be a good member...
Pghwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghwizard View Post
Exactly what I would have done.

Hey gang I really didn't mean to start anything here, I'm the rookie and want to be a good member...
Wizard,

You didn't start anything. What you brought up resulted in good discussion about a topic that is "under-discussed". I feel bad that I sort of "highjacked" the thread and got on my soap box a little.

All of the suggestions about calling ahead are good ones and we do this routinely. I will tell you, however, that about 6 times out of 10, the person on the other end of the line, at the park, has a different definition of "accessibility" than we do, or you do. It could be an employee, not properly trained, or the 17 year old daughter of the owner, etc. Calling ahead is always smart, but you have to be prepared for the situation to be just the opposite of what was described on the phone. We have run into this too many times to count even in hotels. "Roll-in shower, you bet, we have roll-in showers." You get there and find a shower with a 4 inch step-over lip at the entrance. It might as well be 2 feet high to someone in a wheelchair who can't stand up.

The RV lifestyle is one for all to enjoy. We all find our own way to enjoy it and share what makes it a bit easier for those who are finding some obstacles along the way.

Maybe it's time for a new forum title which addresses handicap issues in RVing and access issues, etc. so that those of us who experience these first hand can share with others.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:50 AM   #20

My wife needs an electric scooter to get around; guess what campground doesn;t allow electric scooters; (I was repremanded by the campground host for letting my wife ride her scooter around the park); he said I would need written permision from the park headquarters for her to use her scooter.
Watsaddler C.O.E.campground near hartwell Georgia. I wrote a scathing letter to the C.O.E. headquarters.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #21
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wow! As a Government facility I think it would be against Federal Regulations to deny anyone a medical device of any kind. I think that the host was misinformed. At least I hop that was the situation.

Did you push the issue?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:07 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Wow! As a Government facility I think it would be against Federal Regulations to deny anyone a medical device of any kind. I think that the host was misinformed. At least I hop that was the situation.

Did you push the issue?
I wrote letters to the headquarters in Georgia; Hartwell, and Mobil Alaibama; haven't heard a word back; Kinda sucks. doesn't it?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:39 AM   #23

I just now got a letter from the office in Savannah Georgia. In part here is what it said; and I quote from this letter:
For public safety reasons and overall visitor enjoyment, the general unrestricted use of motorized conveyances such as golf carts ATV's (and motorized scooters )within Corps campgrounds is prohibited.

Ok" my next letter will go to the department that oversees the disability acts. Right now not sure where that is.

Looks like to me they (C.O.E.) are discriminating against those that need electric scooters to get around.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:19 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I find this thread of great interest. You never realize some times how many people may have a disability and still being able to enjoy the RV experience.
My wife for over 15 years has battled arthritis in different forms and needs the use of a battery driven chair to get around.
She has had the need of many medications to combat the arthritis and is now on dialysis because of Doctor miscues with them.
She has been on dialysis since last fall so we have not travel much since and at this time the schedule she is on, limits the time we can go someplace for a couple of days.

pghwizard my question is how do you travel in between clinic visits?

She has had problems with blood clogs in access points and now needs to have arm operated on again because of it.
We have a time period Sat afternoon to Tuesday morning for camping but will want to go on small trips in future and wonder how you manage that.
As far as the battery scooter we have not run into any difficulty in camp grounds as yet maybe we will put handicap plaque on scooter.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
I find this thread of great interest. You never realize some times how many people may have a disability and still being able to enjoy the RV experience.
My wife for over 15 years has battled arthritis in different forms and needs the use of a battery driven chair to get around.
She has had the need of many medications to combat the arthritis and is now on dialysis because of Doctor miscues with them.
She has been on dialysis since last fall so we have not travel much since and at this time the schedule she is on, limits the time we can go someplace for a couple of days.

pghwizard my question is how do you travel in between clinic visits?

She has had problems with blood clogs in access points and now needs to have arm operated on again because of it.
We have a time period Sat afternoon to Tuesday morning for camping but will want to go on small trips in future and wonder how you manage that.
As far as the battery scooter we have not run into any difficulty in camp grounds as yet maybe we will put handicap plaque on scooter.

Good day 007,
Well let me try to fill you in and please ask anything I may leave out.
I'm a hemo dialysis patient with a left arm fistula. This is my 3rd go round in life. I was transplanted twice before, both successful lasting 12 years each.
As I had mentioned I'm 43 and do not have diabetes or any other medical issue. I go 3 days a week to clinic and have dialysis for 4 hours each treatment, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday afternoon.
In answer to your question, this year will have to be different. I plan to head out every other weekend. I'll move to Friday morning and go for the weekend, as you mentioned "short trips" so I cam be home for Monday afternoon. May wife works ever other weekend so ever other weekend traveling.
Now having said that, we are planning a couple week or 10 day trips this summer one being the beach. I traveled before and your have who ever is in charge or managing her dialysis to set you guys up with a local clinic in the area. There are more clinics now than ever and for the most part you can catch a treatment anywhere.
Who ever is managing her care can let temp. clinic know all the info so when you guys walk in it will be just like home. We we go for 10 days I'll have to have 3 or 4 treatments "on location" but please never let that stop you from traveling please. The down side at least for meself is dailysis kicks the snot out me and I sure wouldn't be hitting an amusment park after treatment but I'm hoping I can manage around the site and believe I'll be just fine.
If there is anything I left out or you would like to ask please feel free to ask....
Old 01-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks pghwizard I have not discuss this with wife she is still getting use to dialysis and she tries to do things but does have to take naps after the treatment.
She had been in isolation room with possible TB for five weeks in November after lung operation, so we are more or less starting all over again.
When her kidneys failed she built up with fluid but since treatments she has lost 50 lbs of mostly fluid and feels better.
We will discuss with clinic as to how far they cover and make plans.
Being attached to the treatments does change lifestyles but does give you a chance with moving on.
Appreciate your response, thank you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Thanks pghwizard I have not discuss this with wife she is still getting use to dialysis and she tries to do things but does have to take naps after the treatment.
She had been in isolation room with possible TB for five weeks in November after lung operation, so we are more or less starting all over again.
When her kidneys failed she built up with fluid but since treatments she has lost 50 lbs of mostly fluid and feels better.
We will discuss with clinic as to how far they cover and make plans.
Being attached to the treatments does change lifestyles but does give you a chance with moving on.
Appreciate your response, thank you.
I almost always need a little down time, ranging from veging in front of the Tv to out cold napping. 00& If you would like shoot me a pm and I'd be happy to give you my name and number if you would like to talk of compare notes, anything I can do to help as I said this is my 3rd go round and a long story of small "issues" that I had to deal with and in the end mailed a few press releases out and 2 tv news spots later i have things going my way.

I just ended my treatment so I'm a little fuzzy myself but please look into having the clinic set up treatments for where you would like to be. I'm sure she would much rather be traveling....

Al
Old 01-22-2011, 07:59 AM   #28

Don't rely on others advice; best advice is to call ahead; then you no for sure.