Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2016, 03:03 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Six and a half FULL days. Whew...

...glad that's done. Started at home (Phoenix) before the extreme heat set in. Now, took advantage of some beautiful weather here in Central Oregon. And I am sore in places I never knew existed in the human body!

1.) Wash and dry Rv (Phx) Day 1
2.) Clay bar entire coach...including the tops of the end caps. (started in Phx, completed in Oregon after a dry bath to remove travel dirt/bugs) Day 2&3 (after travel days)
3.) Wash and dry coach after claying. Day 4
4.) Ultimate compound applying with DA polisher setting 5. Remove by hand. Day 4&5
5.) Polished using DA, setting 4. Remove by hand. Day 5&6
6.) Sealed paint using DA setting 3. Remove by hand. Day 6&6.5

Day 7 to eternity....rest.

Some reflections...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reflections.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	130891  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2016, 03:41 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
My coach is outside waiting for you!

You could probably do it in half the time since you've had all that practice!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:51 PM   #3

....."took advantage of some beautiful weather here in Central Oregon"

by wasting 6 of those beautiful days washing/waxing/sealing MH

That is NOT what RV trips are for
Old 06-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Nah Old Biscuit....not wasted at all (although I see your point). It was either complete it here or wait for a year to get 'er done! Sometimes ya just gotta pick and choose. We're here long enough this year that there is AMPLE time to fish and fish and fish (with a few beers and margaritas thrown in from time to time for good measure).
Old 06-25-2016, 07:09 PM   #5

By the looks of that SHINE, I'd say you 'done good'!

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:49 PM   #6

Looks like you did a real nice job. Do you make house calls??
Old 06-26-2016, 07:23 AM   #7

Well done!

I've pontificated at length on various threads about exterior detailing, and in short, there is no easy way to have (and keep) a great finish. Nice to see someone else as nuts as I am! .

It took me about 25 hours for just the polish and wax when I did my first exterior detail on our 31SA across a 2 day, then a 3 day session that were about 2 months apart. Each preceded by a wash that takes me about 5 hours, and the roof which was its own 3 hour scrub down...... Didn't clay bar though.....

Just one question, and it's really more semantics. You note that you compounded, then polished. I assume you used a more aggressive polish (compound) followed by a fine cut finishing polish?

Regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	131310  
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:55 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Well done!

Just one question, and it's really more semantics. You note that you compounded, then polished. I assume you used a more aggressive polish (compound) followed by a fine cut finishing polish?

Regards.
Betr2,

Apologies for the late reply.

Actually, I used Meguiars "mild" correction compound mainly to remove the fine swirls left behind from claying (and some already there). These swirls were more prominent in the darker colors (red/black). Being a newer coach, there wasn't a whole lot of paint damage done by careless washing and detailing so the overall effort to "compound" was minimal for the most part. There is just a whole lot of real estate to clean/detail on these beasts as you well know.
As for the polish, I used Meguiars M205 that really brought out the depth. The key here in this process is MINIMAL product and work it to where it becomes translucent. Small sections at a time...like a 3X3 area and wipe off immediately.
Lastly, I followed all of this by Meguiars M21 Synthetic Sealant. As noted, I would have NEVER attempted this feat without a DA of some sort. All product was DA applied, but removed by hand, although I could have removed it by DA with a clean pad. I just prefer doing it this way.

Hope it answers your questions. (and thanks for all the compliments)

Don
Old 06-28-2016, 05:39 PM   #9

I hate to ask but what is claying and what is DA - thanks
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:24 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dude View Post
I hate to ask but what is claying and what is DA - thanks
Big Dude,
Claying is exactly that. You literally use a detailing clay bar (seen HERE). It removes impurities or contaminants on the surface of your paint. There are typically 2 types of clay..Mild (blue or white generally) and aggressive (red). Unless your paint is really bad (real rough to the touch), mild will most likely be sufficient.

"DA" is a DUAL ACTION polisher (seen HERE). It is great in minimizing "paint burn" around sharp edges, thin paint etc. Well worth the $$ in time savings and manual efforts.

Hope it helps.

Don
Old 07-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #11
MPH

Location: Somewhere on the Rainbow. Fulltiming and lovin' it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Dale View Post
...glad that's done. Started at home (Phoenix) before the extreme heat set in. Now, took advantage of some beautiful weather here in Central Oregon. And I am sore in places I never knew existed in the human body!

1.) Wash and dry Rv (Phx) Day 1
2.) Clay bar entire coach...including the tops of the end caps. (started in Phx, completed in Oregon after a dry bath to remove travel dirt/bugs) Day 2&3 (after travel days)
3.) Wash and dry coach after claying. Day 4
4.) Ultimate compound applying with DA polisher setting 5. Remove by hand. Day 4&5
5.) Polished using DA, setting 4. Remove by hand. Day 5&6
6.) Sealed paint using DA setting 3. Remove by hand. Day 6&6.5

Day 7 to eternity....rest.

Some reflections...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Well done!

I've pontificated at length on various threads about exterior detailing, and in short, there is no easy way to have (and keep) a great finish. Nice to see someone else as nuts as I am! .

It took me about 25 hours for just the polish and wax when I did my first exterior detail on our 31SA across a 2 day, then a 3 day session that were about 2 months apart. Each preceded by a wash that takes me about 5 hours, and the roof which was its own 3 hour scrub down...... Didn't clay bar though.....

Regards.
WHEW! Y'all are wearing me out! I wonder if I have enough quarters saved up to hire somebody to do all this for me???

MPH is offline   Reply With Quote