Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2018, 04:20 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Snowbirds going South? When & Where?

It's just about that time, for us anyway, to escape from the frigid temperatures and head South for the Winter!

We are headed back to the Rio Grande Valley (RGV) and the same park we were in before. Mission Bell & Trade Winds in Mission TX. Leaving out nearly 6 weeks earlier than last year.

Something tells me winter is going to come early and it's going to be a rough one. The older we get the less we seem to like the cold and snow.

Anyone else headed South this Winter? When and Where are you headed to?
What do you enjoy most where you are going?

Safe travels everyone!!
James
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2018, 05:56 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I would like to but not sure if we can be in a 37’ MH for three months. I also find most want to meter your electric use even when charging you $1100-$1400
Old 09-22-2018, 06:25 PM   #3

No problem living in a 37' motorhome for a few months. I am outside 75% of the time in Apache Junction, AZ.
smsawle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:32 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
tmw188 You might be surprised just how affordable it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
I would like to but not sure if we can be in a 37’ MH for three months. I also find most want to meter your electric use even when charging you $1100-$1400
tmw188 You might be surprised just how affordable it really is.

1. Resort we are at in the Rio Grande Valley (Mission Texas) for 30 amp is $450 per mo 3mo=$1215 or $405 per mo 4 mo=$383

For 50 amp. Bigger lots also are $525 per mo 3mo=$1420 / $473 mo
or 4 mo=$1785 or $446 per mo.

Obviously the longer you stay the better the deal on a monthly rate.

We have the largest floating dance floor in the Valley. Entertainment all the time from Branson & Nashville. All kinds of activities from early morning till late at night. Heated Salt water pools and hot tubs.

Great weather. no bugs either so you can sit outdoors in the evenings and enjoy the great weather. We have group bike rides. Tons of music jammers come from all over the US and Canada.

If you have interest in the area of south Texas RGV feel free to message me or comment to this reply. James

Oh and as for size of RV, no worries you will find you are out and about way more than sitting in your rig. We basically sleep in it and might watch some tv late before bed time anyway. On the patio a lot!!
Old 09-22-2018, 08:18 PM   #5

Leaving in 2 days for Jackson Hole and the Cowboy Jamboree. Right after that we will start wandering south with a short stop in Vegas to see kids and grandkids. Then motor on down to White Tank Mountain Regional Park in Waddell, Az and stay till April. The highway is calling....
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:34 PM   #6

This year, Yuma.....last 3 in Quartzsite.....park there charges $295 a month with power and water included....leav'n here Oct 24th!!!
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:39 PM   #7

We are going to be in San Antonio as of January 1st. We are staying at Travels World RV Park from January till the end of April.
I see some are staying in the Mission TX area. I was talking with someone last year in Georgia who said he goes to Mission, TX every year and really likes it. What RV parks would you recommend in Mission TX?
D&D Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:06 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
The Parks are endless!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D Young View Post
We are going to be in San Antonio as of January 1st. We are staying at Travels World RV Park from January till the end of April.
I see some are staying in the Mission TX area. I was talking with someone last year in Georgia who said he goes to Mission, TX every year and really likes it. What RV parks would you recommend in Mission TX?
What RV Park/Resort do I recommend?
It sort of depends on your tastes...
There are some parks that are on the Rustic side and folks we know enjoy them at the Wildlife, Butterfly Parks and Nature they bring in. One that comes to mind is Oleander. The cost is very low. But we know couples who love it there and go every year.

Then there are parks like Llano Grande to the east of us. Huge and very nice! They have everything

Back to Mission, there is Mission West. Kind of Rustic, they are also on a Golf Course. Do a fantastic Burger fry on Monday nights followed by a Great music Jam! I usually make that one!

Bentsen Palm- Very nice park!! Right on Nature Park also.

Green Gate Grove - Also a very nice park!! I like a little more because they also have a fantastic music jam and meal on Saturdays. I make that one also.

Mission Bell / Trade Winds RV Resort. We are in Mission Bell. We really like it there. Fantastic people! All kinds of activities. 2 Salt Water pools 2 hot tubs, fitness, classes, largest free floating dance floor in the Valley. tons of entertainment. Book many shows there. And very affordable.

But the parks are endless. We visited many of them. We used to go to Florida more frequently but it is much higher to go there than the RGV. And the people there just LOVE WINTER TEXANS! They hold parties for us down there and also in Mexico. They realize we are the life blood to the economy there and roll out the red carpet treatment.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
What RV Park/Resort do I recommend?
It sort of depends on your tastes...
There are some parks that are on the Rustic side and folks we know enjoy them at the Wildlife, Butterfly Parks and Nature they bring in. One that comes to mind is Oleander. The cost is very low. But we know couples who love it there and go every year.

Then there are parks like Llano Grande to the east of us. Huge and very nice! They have everything

Back to Mission, there is Mission West. Kind of Rustic, they are also on a Golf Course. Do a fantastic Burger fry on Monday nights followed by a Great music Jam! I usually make that one!

Bentsen Palm- Very nice park!! Right on Nature Park also.

Green Gate Grove - Also a very nice park!! I like a little more because they also have a fantastic music jam and meal on Saturdays. I make that one also.

Mission Bell / Trade Winds RV Resort. We are in Mission Bell. We really like it there. Fantastic people! All kinds of activities. 2 Salt Water pools 2 hot tubs, fitness, classes, largest free floating dance floor in the Valley. tons of entertainment. Book many shows there. And very affordable.

But the parks are endless. We visited many of them. We used to go to Florida more frequently but it is much higher to go there than the RGV. And the people there just LOVE WINTER TEXANS! They hold parties for us down there and also in Mexico. They realize we are the life blood to the economy there and roll out the red carpet treatment.
Wow, thanks for the great info. I have driven through Texas but never had the opportunity to spend anytime there. We pick San Antonio for the areas attractions like the River Walk, the Alamo, Missions and other events. Our site is $600 plus metered electric (electric could be high).

We may look closer at the Mission TX area for next year. I would not have considered it but I have heard several people say they really like it. We always heard the bad things or rumors of the problems in the McAllen area and southern Texas.

Thanks again
Dennis
D&D Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:28 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dennis
There are hundreds of RV parks in the RGV. Some good info can be found in these papers.

https://www.wintertexantimes.com/

https://www.welcomehomergv.com/default.aspx

Come on down the water is fine!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D Young View Post
Wow, thanks for the great info. I have driven through Texas but never had the opportunity to spend anytime there. We pick San Antonio for the areas attractions like the River Walk, the Alamo, Missions and other events. Our site is $600 plus metered electric (electric could be high).

We may look closer at the Mission TX area for next year. I would not have considered it but I have heard several people say they really like it. We always heard the bad things or rumors of the problems in the McAllen area and southern Texas.

Thanks again
Dennis
First off, I think you will like Travelers World. Nice park by the missions and right next to the river and hiking-biking trail. Bring your winter clothes. It gets cold there. Don't let your wife go shopping alone. My wife doesn't feel safe there.

We go to Mission for the winter and stay at Bentsen Palm Village. If you have a dog this is the premier spot in the valley. Lots of common green and best dog park anywhere. If you don't have a dog there are several nice campgrounds in the area. My wife feels absolutely safe shopping by herself in Mission or McAllen. While Mission is warmer than San Antonio you still better pack warm clothes.

Wherever you plan to go have a great winter

Gene

2017 Riverstone Legacy
Northernaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:11 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
another park in Mission and information regarding safety

I forgot another Park I play music at and is a nice park is Chimney RV Park. It is right on the Rio Grande River. So you can find spots right on the river. Nice Park, Pool, Amenity Center, Certainly do a lot of biking and bird watching. A restaurant we like to go is next door. The Riverside Club. I asked some friends of ours there if they were ever concerned about safety and illegals swimming across. He told me it was probably the safest place in Texas. Border Patrol has a loft tower right next to them and there are always agents around, Sheriff patrols, police,

We go all over down there and never felt one bit concerned over safety. I work with the Sheriff's office back home part time so I have a pretty good sense of what to watch out for.

We would go any place any time down in the Valley. IMO it is safer there than in parts of San Antonio. In general, Texas is a safe state to winter in!!

It can get a chill at night but mostly in 70's or 80's in day time. And a few 90's. We did get snow last year, first time I think in 10 years but it was gone in a few hours.

Most of the time I forget it's even Winter time when I am there because I dress in summer clothes from back home. Bring a sweater and / or a jacket and you are safe. James
Old 10-04-2018, 11:46 AM   #13

How much does where you stay charge a month for 30 amp or 50 amp
hookups?
Bkutsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:55 PM   #14

I’m at Sunflower RV Resort, a Cal-Am Resort in Suprise AZ a suburb of Phoenix. I got a special at $1,195 for Sept 4th to Dec 31st plus $20 a month for sewer and trash, plus electric. That’s a little more than $300 a month plus electric. After Jan 1st it’s about a thousand a month but I will be going somewhere else then. I love playing volleyball in the pool which has a bar alongside it and happy hour with music everyday from 4 to 6. Also shuffle board, bocce ball, tennis, pickle ball etc, a big dog park, Jeep club, motorcycle club, wood shop, stained glass shop etc. and the weather is great.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote