Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #1

So thats why everything was plastic!

Bought our new to us HR Endeaver at the end of last year. Recently took it out for the first time Memorial Day to the Outer Banks NC. So good to get it out and see what it could do. This past weekend we went to Surf City for a couple of nights. On the way back yesterday some person with a problem that can't be fixxed (stupidity) pulled out in front of us. Our coach was pretty much furnished when we bought it and I always wondered why almost all everything in the kitchen was plastic. NOW I KNOW. Upon inspecting everything we found that when I had to slam on brakes we had some wine glasses break in the cabinets along with other stuff that shifted. Now my wife knows how important it is to secure everything inside. She gets the inside ready while I get the outside. If people only knew how much weight we are trying to stop with these things I hope they would pay more attention. A sphincter tightening moment it was. Anyway just saying.....
MissyanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #2

absolutely. unsecured, things become flying missiles Things in cabinets can come flying out. Pack light, pack tight.
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Congratulations on your "new" MH. I am a couple of months ahead of you since we bought our "new" 2002 HR Endeavor last fall. Meanwhile we have logged around 4,000 miles. We are retired and hope to be snowbirds this year. I had to learn to drive all over again. This is obviously not like driving a car or motorcycle. I took Driver's Ed in High School (1969) and a Motorcycle Safety Course since then. The biggest thing I had to learn about driving a MH is that I don't have to drive 70 or 75 mph on the interstate. I started out driving the speed limit like I drive a car and that just keep me on edge all the time. Too dangerous in my opinion. Now I drive around 63 or so and I am much more relaxed and hardly ever have to slam on the brakes. Defensive driving is the name of the game. The other thing I do is to stop at every interstate rest area for a short break and limit my driving to 6 to 8 hours max. I learned a lot about driving a MH from reading this forum. In addition, by slowing down, I am getting around 9 mpg pulling a toad, which is not bad. My confidence level has increased but I am very cautious at all times driving a big MH especially in the big cities like Atlanta. Recon I will always be "white knuckle" in Atlanta. You will find a lot of good tips in this forum. I still have a lot to learn. Good luck and safe travels.
Parkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #4

I drove a school bus in high school which was many moon ago but with a MH there is no comparison. I too had to get used to not driving over the speed limit. We are living in our MH while we work and renting our house out. We started with a travel trailer almost 3 years ago. The best thing about a MH is you don't have to pack to go somewhere. I am a diesel tech at a CAT dealership. The first time I really drove ours was to bring it to the shop to do a service on it. About half way there I told my wife I forgot my badge to get in the gate. She asked where it was and I told her on the night stand. She GRACEFULLY turns around in her MORE THAN COPILOT"S chair and says "Honey, we have the night stand with us". It has taken a little to get used to but we both like the freedom our MH gives us. Can't wait till the day I can sell all my tools and hit the road full time. No telling where we may end up.
MissyanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post
absolutely. unsecured, things become flying missiles Things in cabinets can come flying out. Pack light, pack tight.
Flying things when brakes hit hard - that includs any children not belted in and any cats and dogs loose in the RV. We don't travel with children but are cats are confined when on the move. Secure those bunny and guinea pig and bird cages also.

We try and carry only unbreakable things with us. The only "glassware" is a casserole dish well wrapped in a bath towel and stuffed in the oven for protection. The slow-cooker with it's crock pot inside and my coffee cup are snug between other items and cannot move.