Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2015, 09:47 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Along rt65 nirth of Bakersfield they have "dog size" rabbits.

We had to make a trip at night to a site along the east side route and traveling up an unforgiving oil road there were hundreds of them running across the area and we were amazed at their size as tjey were huge and lanky...looked nothing like the cotton tails or pets you normally see but more like you would expext in a horror movie.

Yes we grow them big here...
Thanks, TQ, for that visual... that's never, ever going away I knew there was a good reason to bypass Bakersfield.

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2015, 02:07 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad to see/hear it was only the windshield
Hope your trip was ok in other ways.
Happy travels.
sikorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:13 AM   #17

You got off easy. A buddy was riding his motorcycle on the highway when he came upon a buzzard full from his roadkill meal. Bird couldn't get airborn fast enough. Hit my buddy in the chest. He managed to NOT go down, but he was mighty sore, and...... messy! Buzzards tend to violently 'expel' their meals when hit. Very stinky!!
Could have been a disaster had he not stayed up. I tow my bike on roadtrips now, enjoying the comfort of the campervan. Haven't hit a bird..... yet. Close, once.
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:12 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeRevell View Post
You got off easy. A buddy was riding his motorcycle on the highway when he came upon a buzzard full from his roadkill meal. Bird couldn't get airborn fast enough. Hit my buddy in the chest. He managed to NOT go down, but he was mighty sore, and...... messy! Buzzards tend to violently 'expel' their meals when hit. Very stinky!!
Could have been a disaster had he not stayed up. I tow my bike on roadtrips now, enjoying the comfort of the campervan. Haven't hit a bird..... yet. Close, once.
Yikes! I took a rock to the faceshield once when riding down the highway... truck going in the opposite direction threw it up. I heard his tire ping and then BLAM! Yeah, that was fun.

A buzzard to the chest? Yeah, not so much

Old 07-05-2015, 09:48 PM   #19

Slow down to 45?? That's not slow! The big rabbits are jack rabbits.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:17 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Speed is relative: 45 in heavy traffic might be too fast, but 45 on a wide-open back-country highway without any other cars on the road would be crawling.

I was doing maybe 55-60 when I saw the hawk. I slowed by engaging the jake, not the brakes. So I'm guessing that in the 5 seconds between seeing the hawk and it hitting us I was probably doing between 40-45. It's just a guess, of course; I was too busy concentrating on other things at that moment to look at the speedo.

And the size of the rabbit is irrelevant... the hawk eating it is what broke our windshield. We didn't even know what it was until the hawk picked it up and tried to fly away with it

In any case, it's all good now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windshield.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	361.3 KB
ID:	99340  

Old 07-06-2015, 03:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryly Blithe View Post
Speed is relative: 45 in heavy traffic might be too fast, but 45 on a wide-open back-country highway without any other cars on the road would be crawling.

I was doing maybe 55-60 when I saw the hawk. I slowed by engaging the jake, not the brakes. So I'm guessing that in the 5 seconds between seeing the hawk and it hitting us I was probably doing between 40-45. It's just a guess, of course; I was too busy concentrating on other things at that moment to look at the speedo.

And the size of the rabbit is irrelevant... the hawk eating it is what broke our windshield. We didn't even know what it was until the hawk picked it up and tried to fly away with it

In any case, it's all good now.

Been on that road many times. BTW speed is not relative it appears you were overdriving, going to fast for conditions, you hit the hawk. Was just saying jackrabbits are big.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:04 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
Been on that road many times. BTW speed is not relative it appears you were overdriving, going to fast for conditions, you hit the hawk. Was just saying jackrabbits are big.
lol... seriously? Wow...

Old 07-06-2015, 09:27 PM   #23

Yup!

Tags
california