Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2015, 09:22 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
So... THIS happened on the way to California.

We were driving from Las Vegas to the California coast on Monday to escape the heat for a few days, and took a little shortcut from Hwy 58 on to Hwy 223 to bypass Bakersfield.

About two miles after we turned my wife spots a flock of vultures circling very close to the ground just ahead. As I look a little further down the road, I spot a large red-tailed hawk landing on some roadkill right on the double yellow line.

As we rolled closer, I thought it was weird that the hawk wasn't giving way - it was intent on guarding it's dinner from both us and those scavenging vultures. I assumed that at some point (soon) it would just fly away and circle right back after we'd passed. I started to slow down as we approached it, going maybe 40-45, and that's when it happened:

The hawk grabbed what we could then see was a dead rabbit, and jumped up into the air to take off with its dinner. I could tell the hawk intended to jump forward to clear our coach, but the weight of the rabbit threw off its center of balance. The counter-swing of the rabbit in its talons actually forced the hawk's trajectory backward, and it flapped mightily in a desperate attempt to avoid our rolling brick wall.

It was not successful.

The hawk hit the top edge of my windshield and shattered it; the rabbit hit my wife's side and left a bloody mess to clean off, but no damage.

After the initial shock wore off we stopped, but we couldn't find any sign of hawk or rabbit (it was too hot out to search extensively). After some disbelief and why-me's, my wife and I just had to laugh at the absurdity of it all. Seriously, what are the odds there's a dead rabbit in the middle of a road almost no one travels, a hawk hungry enough to stand its ground against a venue of vultures and us driving right there at just the right moment?

We didn't have much choice except to drive it like that. We called around once we got to our destination, but we knew it was a long shot anyone could help us in just the 3 days we were there. We limped her home to Las Vegas last night - every bump and frame-twist made the cracks spread right before our eyes.

This is just one more anomaly on a long list of gremlins that have popped up since we bought this rig three long, long weeks ago
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150615_161822.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	97740  

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2015, 09:52 AM   #2

Wow thats crazy. That would devestate my partner. You guys handled it well and glad your ok.
Excursion 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:07 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excursion 33 View Post
Wow thats crazy. That would devestate my partner. You guys handled it well and glad your ok.
Believe me, there were more than just a few minutes of, "OH MY GOD! IT SHATTERED THE WINDOW!" coming from the co-pilot's seat I just sat there in stunned disbelief, wondering if there had been anything I could have done to predict that was going to happen and avoid it. Maybe - but not in the 5 seconds it all happened in.

Yes, we're fine, the rig's fine - or soon will be. No body damage, thankfully.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:07 AM   #4

Glad you're, ok and able to look back, and chuckle.
Aggressive birds !
One more thing , I'll have to be on the lookout for as I tour through , beautiful downtown, Arvin, CA.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
Community Administrator

I had a seagull fly into my front cap right above the windshield. Took the W off of Winnebago.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:31 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
WOW! Glad you're both ok. Dang animals sure can do some damage. I'm sure that hawk's telling his buddies of his brush with the "big monster" on the hawk forum.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #7

It's california.. we grow them big out here. They're well fed from every McDonalds which we have on every corner.

Glad you guys are ok. Hope your Cali trip was (otherwise) a success.
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:24 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Not an RV but in 1971 I was best man at a wedding. The groom had a 1971 911 Porsche that he didn't want to take to the wedding figuring his friends would mark it up so he trusted me with the Porsche. I was to drive it to his house a few days after the wedding. The wedding was in Livermore, CA in the SF Bay area and while driving across the San Mateo bridge to take it to him in San Mateo a sea gull flew into the windshield and shattered it. We are still friends but he doesn't talk about the Porsche. Those things do happen and really surprise us when the do.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I'm glad you are both okay.

Even though they look soft and fluffy remember birds have brought down aircraft. As a former flight instructor in the USAF we were extremely concerned with birds while flying.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:13 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I got the vulture! After prying it from the gap between the cap and generator slide, you would never know it took a 100 mile ride. Not a mark on the MH. But the TOAD was a mess. There were 5 of them in the road 4 got away. I don't know what they were eating, but it covered the front of the toad and was really ripe.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Buzzard (1).jpg
Views:	153
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	97811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Buzzard (2).jpg
Views:	149
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	97812  

Name:	Buzzard (3).jpg
Views:	156
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	97813  
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:45 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
I got the vulture! After prying it from the gap between the cap and generator slide, you would never know it took a 100 mile ride. Not a mark on the MH. But the TOAD was a mess. There were 5 of them in the road 4 got away. I don't know what they were eating, but it covered the front of the toad and was really ripe.
YIKES! My hawk was big, but not that big I think

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one, and that yours made it through without a scratch. Sorry about your toad... I kept teasing DW that she was gonna have to clean the rabbit off. Her windshield, her mess to clean

I'm a little worried about mine though - it's gonna take a week or so before I find out if the new glass matches the existing passenger windshield. It's gonna bug me if they don't.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for posting!

Old 06-20-2015, 08:42 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
WOW! What's that they say about hindsight! I bet you stop for that hawk next time!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:58 AM   #13

Along rt65 nirth of Bakersfield they have "dog size" rabbits.

We had to make a trip at night to a site along the east side route and traveling up an unforgiving oil road there were hundreds of them running across the area and we were amazed at their size as tjey were huge and lanky...looked nothing like the cotton tails or pets you normally see but more like you would expext in a horror movie.

Yes we grow them big here...
Old 06-20-2015, 09:45 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
WOW! What's that they say about hindsight! I bet you stop for that hawk next time!
Well, I doubt I'll stop, but I'll give them as many blasts of both air horns as it takes to get 'em to move first

Tags
california