Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
They will gladly discuss any issues with the offender, one on one and not in public.
I disagree.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #16

Have you noticed that a thread about behaving yourself seems to always attract the opportunity not to do so.

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
Old 07-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
We work very hard to make sure the members are aware of our Community Rules. We private message the member a link to the rule and let them know which one they violated. Once we are certain a member is aware of the rules but continues to disregard them or violate them our next step is to give them an Official Warning. This is like a cop pulling you over for speeding and letting you go telling you not to do it again or they will give you a ticket.

Once a member has been Officially Warned we then move to a 3 strikes system. One each latter offense we issue a strike. If they reach three strikes (happens rarely) we then (as a team) talk about the appropriate action to take. Our options are to ban the member for good or issues them a short little "time out" with just a week or two ban.

It's very unusual for members to be banned, most understand and follow our rules as the above process moves along. Some like to play games and push the limits and those can sometimes get two strikes before they shape up. Others could care less, live life on their own terms and are unwilling to obied by our rules and they end up at the other RV forum.

It's not a perfect system but we try our hardest to be even in our enforcing of the rules and make the best of the tools we have. This is a very kind and respectful community and that's because our members are kind and respectful people, not because we have rules. The rules are just there so when we have someone who's not willing to respect the same boundaries we can point to the guidelines and they will know where the line in the sand is drawn.

To address the above question, an infraction = strike. An infraction served would be a strike that was issued but as time passes they "fall off your record" just like points with police tickets. If we get members who play games waiting for their strikes to be "served" and then start pushing the limits again, at some point we will simply show them the door and their access will be removed.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:42 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Andy, thanks so much for the outstanding explanation of the process. It's clear now that a "little slip of the keyboard" isn't going to get someone banned for life!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 07-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Have you noticed that a thread about behaving yourself seems to always attract the opportunity not to do so.

You must be talking about me
Old 07-29-2010, 03:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Andy R sez:

We private message the member a link to the rule and let them know which one they violated. Once we are certain a member is aware of the rules but continues to disregard them or violate them our next step is to give them an Official Warning.
Doesn't always work thataway Andy...

From direct, personal experience:

I tend to get involved in controversial subjects, in DISCUSSION forums - "discussion" would seem to indicate the likelihood of point and counterpoint posts, rather than strictly "warm, fuzzy feeling" opinions where all posters are fully in agreement - that's why they are CALLED "discussion forums"...

That said, I usually very carefully word my personal opinions in a manner that is clear and to the point - but ISSUE RELATED, and not personal, or directed to any other specific thread users. Naturally, when a member expresses a counter opinion to what the majority view happens to be - regardless of wording or intent, SOME will feel *personally* attacked, and either complain - or respond in what IS a personal attack!

To the point of THIS post and example, I, personally, disapprove of the practice of many RVers to pretty much exclusively use Walmart as their roosting point of choice in their travels - and WITHOUT naming names, or singling out ANY thread members, have stated in related Walmart threads, my own opinion that such behavior is freeloading, and abuse of an otherwise kind gesture on Walmart's part for what I, personally consider occasional* use by RVing customers.

Isn't MY opinion on the issue as valid as everyone else's?

Naturally. SOME posters (and moderators!) in that group saw fit to take my *issue related*, PERSONAL OPINION, as an attack directed specifically at them, or at the very least, too strongly expressed for so "genteel" a group in a *discussion forum*...

I subsequently, WITHOUT warning, was put on notice by a moderator as being reprimanded, and a "strike" awarded.

THEN, a few days later, I got a SECOND similar action, without warning, from ANOTHER moderator, for that very SAME post!

After a responding PM from me, that second action WAS reversed - but it should not have happened, especially without warning - at ALL!

On another occasion, in response to what I intended as a humorous comment in a thread, a responding post, directed STRAIGHT at me Called me a %$&#*, and also made reference to me as "an unhappy old man who couldn't afford nice things - and resented those who could". After waiting what I considered an appropriate length of time for moderator action, I responded to that abusive post in what I considered an appropriate, but far less abusive manner - and then also reported the abusive post to the moderator.

Now sure, I COULD have waited longer for eventual moderator action - if it ever actually arrived - and done it all quietly behind the scenes - but MEANWHILE - there was that abusive and insulting post there being read steadily by all who wandered by...

End result? *I* got jumped by the moderator for responding to the abusive poster, and then reporting his post - and was told MY response was WORSE than his - even though I in no way called him any names or similarly abused him as he had done me! Doesn't really do much to encourage waiting for, or appealing for, moderator help in clearly abusive attacks in open forums - NOR would doing it all "behind the scene", while *I* was being directly and openly attacked in PUBLIC...

NOW - all the above, as I have just described it, is typical of my personal method of expressing myself - I have carefully attempted to keep my comments ISSUE related, and not personal, but bet I will again be criticised for my comments, by both members AND moderators...

SURE, this board, like most others, runs by the"Golden Rule" - which in practical, real-life actions is, "HE who HAS the Gold, RULES" - and for sure, this board is entirely free to operate any way, by any rules - or lack thereof, they choose. BUT, while the rules are generally fair, and the vast majority of moderators are kind and conscientious, FEW of them are likely to be nominated for Sainthood - they are human, and have their own agendas and prejudices, just like the REST of us - and SOMETIMES, those agendas and prejudices get in the way of sound judgement and cause reactionary behavior.

Why would a board moderator, and/or Administrators be generally unwilling to OPENLY discuss issues, if their rules are fair, and their application done with the greatest of equality and progressive administration? Sure, no personalities - but what about the METHODS used in selecting "offenders" - as well as the way reprimands are *progressively* applied?

We can openly criticise Presidents, Governors and Mayors behavior and actions - but if you are unhappy with the way a board is run or moderated, you will quickly be shown the door...

I like this board, and the many subjects covered - I learn a lot - and on occasion, am able to help others - but if I was to list one overwhelming fault, it would be that the board is so tightly controlled as to ITSELF be abusive in a fair number of cases, where selective and unequal treatment has occurred without warning, and in an erratic manner.

Unless this post, or other unintended personal opinions of my own are deemed by the "powers that be" sufficient to cause me to be banned - or I myself choose to leave, I plan to hang around for a while!
Old 07-29-2010, 04:51 PM   #21

Isnt America Great........Free Speech..........???
Old 07-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
What happens when you get a third strike and get booted out? Whats the procedure? Do they block your computer, screen name? Can you get in a back door under a new name? I'm by know means a computer geek so any insite would be helpful. Not that I'm planning on getting booted out or anything
Old 07-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Steve, the IP address is blocked.

Gary, sometimes when a member has had previous infractions and a history of posting, an infraction is issued immediately...they should know better by this point.

Another place that a second infraction will be issued pretty quickly is when a member questions moderator action in public. Take any questions regarding an infraction off line using the Private Messaging system.

Like noted, no system is perfect, but it is what we have.

As for freedom of Speech, read the community rules. The forum belongs to Andy and consider it his living room. If he does not like what you are saying, he can put you out the door. Freedom of Speech does not apply to a forum.

Mainly there are no problems if you are polite, nice to other, no political issues or religious issues.

Ken
Old 07-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
What happens when you get a third strike and get booted out? Whats the procedure? Do they block your computer, screen name? Can you get in a back door under a new name?
We can reveal all our secrets, can we?

Old 07-29-2010, 08:18 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
We can't reveal all our secrets, can we?

..And believe me...it can and will be done. I have found some of these myself when I was on "The Team".
Trust me.. they will eventually find you.
..All I can add to this is you all better behave!
Old 07-30-2010, 05:42 AM   #26
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Unfortunately moderating communities like this is not a perfect science and we do make mistakes. As pointed out, we do review each others actions and if needed reverse any warnings/strikes/infractions. We try our best to do the best we can and that's all we can do.

Let's not let this thread to turn into a debate about Walmart, we have enough issues with the different opinions on that subject already. It's also our policy to not talk about moderator actions in public because they are private matters. For that reason, I am going to close this thread. If you have any issues with the management of this forum, please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and report the issues. Andy will be glad to review the circumstances and communicate with you directly about the issue.

Lets move on to some more fun discussions, heck only 5 weeks till Labor Day, the summer season sure is flying by!

Closed Thread