Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2010, 08:29 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

So What Behavior Gets a Member Reprimanded?

Yesterday, a valuable member of this forum chose to leave. The reasons were only hinted at but references to forum rules were made.

Obviously this particular case is personal but can someone share the type of actions which commonly lead to conflicts between members and staff? I guess I've been a good boy because I haven't been slapped yet but would like a better understanding of the playing field.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #2

Tough topic. I've seen very valuable contributing members of boating related forums banished from the boards. At the end of the day, it's up to the board's owner. But, anyone that contributes needs to realize their emotion may not be received by all readers. Anyone that feels that a message directed at them is a personal attack, then they need to leave their emotion off the keyboard and respond directly to the sender--not the forum.

On this board I recently read someone's post where the receiver of a message was upset that they were effectively being talked down to. I didn't read the message that offended them the same way, but maybe it was. The biggest problem is that it's not easy to read the tone of a message in the written word. So, something that's taken literally, may have been taken in a way not anticipated nor intended.

This is an unfortunate reality with any large board that has a lot of active contributors.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #3

I agree, it's quite easy to misunderstand what the writer means, we only read what they write. At the end of the day it's up to the speaker/writer to review and edit before posting. If they choose to violate the rules of any discussion forum they are subject to the decisions of the website owner.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 07-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks guys, that's some good insight.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 07-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a quote on forum rules"

Quote:
Although the administrators and moderators of iRV2 Forums will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of iRV2 Forums, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of iRV2 Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason. UNQUOTE

So, my understanding is, be nice.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Wayne. Leave it to a Marine to boil it down to the bottom line!

I kind of figured that it all came down to playing nice with others. It does seem to be a fine line for many to keep comments focused on the issue and not on the poster. I'm sure glad I'm not a moderator though. Tough job.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 07-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #7

While I never saw any published rules on this forum I do think the moderators make a big difference. From what I can see if you live by the Golden Rule you will have no problems. This is an RV related site so I like to stick to the subject and avoid politics and other subjects. I left another forum because it seemed to be populated by angry folks who did not like anythink made in America nor a lot of Americans for that matter. I don't find that here. I think the moderators do a great job of weeding that stuff out. JMO
Old 07-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As a former Administrator and Moderator, they watch the forums closely and expect members to follow the rules and be nice. Basically do not say anything you would not say to your sweet old grandmother. Also, if you have any issues with a moderator action take it off line and not on the public forums. They will gladly discuss any issues with the offender, one on one and not in public. They will not discuss moderator actions in public due to privacy issues.

As for forum rules, you had to agree to them when you joined. You can also go to the bottom of the page and click on "Community Rules".

Ken.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Rick,
I try to be succinct when I can. (lol) Something that I try to be is NOT negative. If I have to be negative I try to intersperse with positive items so as to negate the negative - if that makes sense. Sometimes, I don't quite make it.

With having said that, I never try to purposely antagonize anyone (Except ElkhartJim - but then everyone else does also) and if I offend anyone I am truly sorry for it as that is not my purpose. The problem is that we cannot see the facial expressions of the written word. The written word can be very harsh, depending on the reader and their interpretation. If two people were standing there talking, a smile from the corner of the mouth would tend to diffuse what could be construed as harsh words. We just don't see that upturned little smile, smirk, or gesture with the written word. And once it is written, it is very hard to take back, just as the spoken word is sometimes. Damage is done. That is why we thank the moderators and administrators for their time in dealing with those of us (me) that drops off the rules page from time to time. I have tried to learn to never argue with an administrator or moderator - it just doesn't work, even though I'm right (hee hee!)

I was wrong onc......err, never mind, I was just mistaken.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:27 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Rick,
I try to be succinct when I can. (lol) Something that I try to be is NOT negative. If I have to be negative I try to intersperse with positive items so as to negate the negative - if that makes sense. Sometimes, I don't quite make it.

With having said that, I never try to purposely antagonize anyone (Except ElkhartJim - but then everyone else does also) and if I offend anyone I am truly sorry for it as that is not my purpose. The problem is that we cannot see the facial expressions of the written word. The written word can be very harsh, depending on the reader and their interpretation. If two people were standing there talking, a smile from the corner of the mouth would tend to diffuse what could be construed as harsh words. We just don't see that upturned little smile, smirk, or gesture with the written word. And once it is written, it is very hard to take back, just as the spoken word is sometimes. Damage is done. That is why we thank the moderators and administrators for their time in dealing with those of us (me) that drops off the rules page from time to time. I have tried to learn to never argue with an administrator or moderator - it just doesn't work, even though I'm right (hee hee!)

I was wrong onc......err, never mind, I was just mistaken.
Net it out! I think you got a good point your trying to make but it gets lost in words.
Pat
FMCA 212171
Old 07-28-2010, 01:17 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
As a former Administrator and Moderator, they watch the forums closely and expect members to follow the rules and be nice. Basically do not say anything you would not say to your sweet old grandmother. Also, if you have any issues with a moderator action take it off line and not on the public forums. They will gladly discuss any issues with the offender, one on one and not in public. They will not discuss moderator actions in public due to privacy issues.

As for forum rules, you had to agree to them when you joined. You can also go to the bottom of the page and click on "Community Rules".

Ken.
The above bolded sentence is a big key point. NEVER publicly question a Community Administrator or Moderator... and if you have an issue with a Moderator or a Moderator action then you should contact an Administrator that you are comfortable with.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:14 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Our RULES are here.

Our TERMS of SERVICE are here.

Both links are found at the bottom every page.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:28 AM   #13
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

Well I have been on this site at least once a day from just about it's start up, and I want to say thanks and great job to all Administrator's & Moderator's both past & present!!!! You have all done a tough job well!! I also think that this is the best RV web Site out there on the net!!!! Long live iRV2 & GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi all

I must admit that this is the nicest forum I have seen and I have seen quite a few on some other subjects including the other RV forum. I have always gotten good helpful answers here and learned a lot from just reading all the threads. So I think I will stay here a while.

JD

Closed Thread