Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So when does it become overkill?

We are trying to build a steel building to house our RV. Actually, it will be for a number of other purposes, too, but the RV is one of the major considerations. It is 1,500 square feet (the largest that the Town will allow me to build) and will be 16 feet high in the center.

The Town wants:
1. The concrete slab to be engineered and have an engineer's stamp on the drawings.
2. The engineering must include certification that the slab meets all local soil conditions. The local engineering firms will do that without taking specific soil samples but the engineering firm that the building manufacturer used will not. So I'm paying $1,000 for one 20 foot deep test bore and the resulting report.
3. The foundation forms to be installed by a general contractor that is licensed and bonded in the city.
4. The forms to be inspected by a 3rd party to make sure that they match the drawings. The inspector must also certify the results.
5. The Town's own inspector comes out and verifies that all of the other requirements are met end then green tags the site so that concrete can be poured into the forms.

OK. I do understand that a process like this is always used on larger buildings. But for a 1,500 sq. foot garage??? I won't even go into the nearly dozen other stupid things that they want but none of those have the price tag that this one does. I'm going to have more money in the concrete than I do the rest of the building before this is done.

I'm assuming that our friends the trial lawyers are behind all of this. My guess is that some city someplace was sued over foundation problems and lost. So now, all of the cities put into place these onerous and expensive requirements. That and the fact that there appear to be no checks and balances on governments at any level.

It nothing easy any more? I started on this project in June and it looks like I'll be lucky to have it finished by February.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
a k

Newmar Owners Club
And when you get done with all that, they add it all up and tax you on it.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:36 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I love it when the government protects me.
cj5 jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Chasfm

Wow!! All that hassle for an RV garage. Must really be difficult when it comes to building a new house. Just in case I ever want to re-locate, which city and state do you reside in?

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow! I would be tempted to do footers for the building and a dirt floor.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I put a 6x10 shed (pre-built and delivered on a trailer) on my RV Lot in the Florida Keys and had to have a survey, drawings, specifications and a building permit (22 pages). I'm 3 weeks into it and have only been through 3 of the six departments that have to review it. If God had really wanted all of this bureaucracy, he wouldn't have put Idiots in charge!
Old 11-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #7

Sorry about your problems. I live in Delta County, Colorado. We are one of the last countys that does not have inspections or zoning. If I want to put up a building I just do it.
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:39 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Chasfm

Wow!! All that hassle for an RV garage. Must really be difficult when it comes to building a new house. Just in case I ever want to re-locate, which city and state do you reside in?

Dieselclacker
Actually, it isn't much worse to build a house. They have a few more inspections but, for some reason, their main focus appears to be on the foundation of just about anything. One of the maddening things is that all of the neighbors have built barns/big garages the same size as mine and none of had to have soil samples. There is no way I can ask the question "why" without ratting out the neighbors.

I have a better story to tell you about the Town's inspections department. The previous owner changed from butane (in a tank) to Natural Gas (runs in a pipe from a meter.) for the furnace. He used a huge pipe in from the street and, of course, had it inspected by the Town. We bought the place and decided to extend the gas line to the kitchen to run a gas range/oven. I called the Town and they did another inspection. While he was here, the inspector admitted that he was the one that did the original inspection and, now that he was smarter, found some things that he didn't like so he made me fix them as part of of the additional work. He screwed up and I got to pay for it.

I've come to the conclusion that the Town is about two things: liability and revenue. You have to get all of the permits to feed the kitty and if it even looks risky, they have a way to make sure that no one can blame them.

My only consolation is that they seem to hassle everyone. None of the trades people in the area like to work here because of it. I'm sure that we are paying a surtax on on the work because of the hassles to the tradesman.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Noble View Post
Sorry about your problems. I live in Delta County, Colorado. We are one of the last countys that does not have inspections or zoning. If I want to put up a building I just do it.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:23 AM   #10

All of this is really about CONTROL, and hold on, it's going to get a lot worse.

If we the people had rights we would just tell the city/county what we were going to put up and that if they wanted to look at it just come on over with a search warrant.

I DO understand that in close proximity areas some code is desirable, however, one stop at one office is all it should take, with the various government agencies doing all the coordinating and a one week limit to completion.

IMHO!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:59 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
chasfm11;
1500 sq ft is not a small structure. 38ftX40ft=1520 sq ft. You only stated a 1500 sq ft building not the actual footprint of the building.
Building Codes have been with us for thousands of years. There were at one time 4 major building codes in the USA until 2000 when the code companies became one [yes there are still a few places that still have their own codes], but the largest code is used by most places.
Having been in code enforcement I know how it is with good intend of the original owner to build a structure for one propose to sell the property and go back 5-6 years later and find the structure used for something totally different.
So yes, sometimes you have to over build just because of the size.
I could get into the reason for soil sampling and all the others problems that you have, but it would just take to long.
Remember most of these codes are to protect us from the few bad builders.
Joe

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:08 AM   #12
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
most of these codes are to protect us from the few bad builders.
We need a way to protect us from the few bad and corrupt code enforcement agencies.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:31 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
Our wonderful city (Overland Park KS) requires a building permit to simply replace a water heater and requires an inspection. The inspector came to my house after I had a licensed contractor do a simple swap of the old water heater and spent ALMOST 15 seconds "inspecting". He was embarrassed and admitted the permit/inspection requirement was simply a revenue stream for the city ($40).
Old 11-07-2009, 09:53 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A few years ago a guy here in Phoenix decided to add a shed to his back yard for mower, hoses, etc. He poured a slab about 10X10 an went to work. About 2 months after completion the inspectors came by and asked to see his inspection approvals.

Oooops!

They made him tear it down, and restart. It cost more to tear it down than to build. He was mad as a hornet but admitted he knew of the rules. His neighbor had turned him in.

Moral of story- Never do that which you know to be wrong, and never PO a neighbor!

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote