Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #15

Carolina Campers
First of all, Facebook and twitter are easy to use and self explanatory. But can you imagine the personal information that you expose to someone that is helping you set up your accounts, let alone anyone that you allow to have access.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #16

Carolina Campers
Frankly, your OP sounds over the top to me. Your "generosity" to senior citizens seems a bit wired. There are a lot of con-artists out there that pry on senior citizens or other gullible people. Making themselves appear to be a trusted friend or service provider is the method used to get their foot in the door.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
It's unfortunate that so many cons to take advantage of Seniors and Young folk. Because if that, it sparks negativity to someone just trying to be helpful ...
GFDOUCET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore2011 View Post
It's unfortunate that so many cons to take advantage of Seniors and Young folk. Because if that, it sparks negativity to someone just trying to be helpful ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Frankly, your OP sounds over the top to me. Your "generosity" to senior citizens seems a bit wired. There are a lot of con-artists out there that pry on senior citizens or other gullible people. Making themselves appear to be a trusted friend or service provider is the method used to get their foot in the door.
Ted...The security term for that is Social Engineering. I happen to work security for big gubment as people put it and you'd be surprised how easy it is to get information without Social Networks. I would be willing to bet that people you camp with collect certain information that you don't even know about. I personally don't use Social Networks not because of privacy or security but because they're more of a time soak and nuisance. If people believe for a minute that just because you don't use this or don't use that for privacy or security reasons you're sadly mistaken. They've got you and I hate to say it there's really nothing you can do about it. So for the conspiracy theorists that want to live in a bubble, go ahead, it's already been popped. I just live life to the fullest, take the few precautions that you can and not worry about it.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #19

Carolina Campers
That is the problem, how do you know if someone is just "trying to be helpful" or trying to gain trust in order to take advantage of gullible people. There are a lot of gullible people who think that just because someone says the things that they like, that those people can be trusted. I have seen it too many times in my career and I know it is far better to be extremely cautious of these things versus throwing caution to the wind.

This reminds me of someone that says; "I know that there have been several people in my neighborhood that have had there house broken into, but I am not going to wast my money on security measures because it will either never happen to me, or I will just trust in a higher power to protect me."

It is not a futile effort to take steps to protect yourself and/or your personal information from those that would use it to take advantage of you. If you think that it is futile to do so, go ahead and have your Social Security number, Drivers License number, address, and phone number printed on your checks, like people used to. Or better yet go ahead and give the entire world access to all the personal information on your Facebook account.

Sure, there are bad people that can get all kinds of information about you now, but you can take caution and start taking action to protect your privacy. It is as ignorant to think that it is futile to do so as it is ignorant to just trust someone, because they seem so nice.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club

Ah, Youth!

Eric, Eric, Eric...while your "Social Media" skills may be well developed, I'm afraid your interpersonal ones could use a little work. Your post here, however well-intentioned, is whatchamightcall a bit patronizing, if not presumptuous.

The fact that most of us are literate enough to use the tools of this Forum ought to serve as Notice that we're probably able to negotiate The Wilds of Social Media, should we so choose. This in spite of what must look to you like our advanced age.
Do take a second look at Site Demographics- "median age mid-60's" does NOT refer to a decade of the Twentieth Century that we're stuck in!

By the way...if this is your website- lookin' good so far. If you're interested in any advice as to potential improvements, do feel free to ask ...
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #21
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
My bumper sticker:

"Facebook: Where pointless information is shared with people you don't know"

Aw shucks, I misquoted what I had on the bumper sticker. It reads:

"Facebook: Where pointless information is shared with friends you don't know."

There, that's better and correct.

I'm not worried about "Big brother," or any corporate spying on me by cell phone companies or cable companies, or the big eye in the sky. There isn't anything I say or do that I'm worried about. What I am worried about is the "dumb" criminal (Dumb - are the ones who get caught), and the "smart" criminals, (Smart - ar the ones who hire the dumb to do their dirty work). They can search for information on travel that may have been posted, even on this forum, and know when someone is not home. Of course, they don't know I have someone else living here with us that does not travel, but it is the principle of the thing. It's the same as putting your home address in your on-board GPS. If someone steals the vehicle they can drive to your house and reap the goodies, or store the information for a later visit. Just use a major interconnection. Most everyone should know how to get home once they are in their hometown.

So be careful of what you post. The information gathered is part of "Social Engineering."

iRV2l is my social media. I'm the only one in the entire family that posts on it. DW reads it. All other relatives don't have the time. They have my phone number, or my "Facetime" address.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:15 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
That is the problem, how do you know if someone is just "trying to be helpful" or trying to gain trust in order to take advantage of gullible people. There are a lot of gullible people who think that just because someone says the things that they like, that those people can be trusted. I have seen it too many times in my career and I know it is far better to be extremely cautious of these things versus throwing caution to the wind.

This reminds me of someone that says; "I know that there have been several people in my neighborhood that have had there house broken into, but I am not going to wast my money on security measures because it will either never happen to me, or I will just trust in a higher power to protect me."

It is not a futile effort to take steps to protect yourself and/or your personal information from those that would use it to take advantage of you. If you think that it is futile to do so, go ahead and have your Social Security number, Drivers License number, address, and phone number printed on your checks, like people used to. Or better yet go ahead and give the entire world access to all the personal information on your Facebook account.

Sure, there are bad people that can get all kinds of information about you now, but you can take caution and start taking action to protect your privacy. It is as ignorant to think that it is futile to do so as it is ignorant to just trust someone, because they seem so nice.
I didn't say it was futile, I'm stating that people have more information about you than you realize. You should always protect your information from people who don't need or require it. All I was saying is that "big brother" has you by the short and curlies and no one can deny that unless you live in a cabin in the woods and are totally self sufficient without ever having to use any type electronics or vehicle or money. Social Engineering has been going on for centuries in various forms. They lure you in with something that is of interest to you. Then make you their friend and that's where it starts. I'm cautious of all people I meet because of the job I do.
As for passing out your information to anyone, I would definitely be against it. I'm a minimalist when people need stuff from me. Don't give out any more than you absolutely have too.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:56 AM   #23

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatnobeer View Post

I didn't say it was futile, I'm stating that people have more information about you than you realize. You should always protect your information from people who don't need or require it. All I was saying is that "big brother" has you by the short and curlies and no one can deny that unless you live in a cabin in the woods and are totally self sufficient without ever having to use any type electronics or vehicle or money. Social Engineering has been going on for centuries in various forms. They lure you in with something that is of interest to you. Then make you their friend and that's where it starts. I'm cautious of all people I meet because of the job I do.
As for passing out your information to anyone, I would definitely be against it. I'm a minimalist when people need stuff from me. Don't give out any more than you absolutely have too.
Thanks