Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you need Social Networking Help? (Facebook / Twitter)

Hi y'all. New to the forums, just introduced ourselves in the New Member Check-in: 2 lurkers deciding to step out in faith

Just wanted to offer any help if any of you were wondering about Facebook or Twitter. With many RV'ers being Seniors that want to stay in touch with family we know it can be a tough learning curve. My 81 year old mother (God bless her) still calls Twitter "Twister" but she has an account!

So if any of you have Facebook or Twitter related questions, we are happy to help. We do this for a living for private clients and companies.

But please note, we want nothing from you, really there are no strings attached!

This is just our way of giving back to the forums since we know nothing about RV'ing yet and are just starting on our RV adventure.

E&B

exploring is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My bumper sticker:

"Facebook: Where pointless information is shared with people you don't know"

Thanks for the offer. Personally I'll pass.

And to all, as a precaution just remember that it is "Social Networking," and that your information may be shared with many, many people you do not know. So, be careful of what you post about yourself, your address, you trips and travels, and anything that could be used to steal your identity.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wayne. Semper Fi! (20 year Coast Guard Veteran here)

Wayne is correct in that the information is searchable. However there are significant privacy settings that can be put in place so that only those you want seeing your information is visible to them.

I echo Wayne's statement in using caution; at the same time, I encourage the use of social media (with precautions) to stay in touch with family.

Respectfully,

Eric
exploring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I am 46 and deactivated my account about 2 yrs ago. Got tired of facebook changing my privacy settings anytime they wanted to and allowing anyone to see anything. Don't do twitter or instagram or any of the social network stuff. I do have a blog but don't post anything about where we are going until we have already left.
It's sad when your own mother won't bother to call to wish you a happy birthday and when something is said her reply is "well she's not on facebook so I can't wish her happy bday" Social networks just takes the social out of it. Those that want to know something call or get a call.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #5

OK, can you make people stop posting low light, grainy cell phone photos, especially of cats!

But, even if you can't, welcome aboard!

H

OBTW, I have removed almost all personal data from my account, and what is left is pretty much generic stuff!

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #6

FB is worth what you make of it.

I communicate with many kin.
I found folks I lost contact with over 20 years ago.
And I have nothing to hide.
Repeat: I HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE!!!!
You?

Relax, folks! Fun is fun.

There is also Skype. My grand daughter is in South Korea. Beats the bajeebers out of a phone call. We can see each other! And I hope Big Brother is watching. Nothing worth knowing......except knowing where we have been to dinner.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Verizon recently applied(3 times), for a patent to install surveillance software and hardware in cable tv boxes and phone hand sets. They were only denied the patent because 3 other companies already have the patent.

Imagine this, your cable company can use the camera and microphone in your computer to eavesdrop, they can and do have an infrared camera and mic in your cable box, and there is the same capability in your cell phone. This is not technology that might be developed in the future, it's already here.

With that said, why on earth is anyone worried about lack of privacy on Facebook, when everyday they click the "I agree to all conditions" button on everything they use.

There is no longer privacy, unless you stop using phones and computers, stop watching Cable or satellite tv, or a new tv for that matter because they are manufacturing them with that technology. Lets not forget about having done all that, there still is the eye in the sky.

Now, I know I am coming off like a conspiracy nut, but I'm simply making a point. We have so much opportunity to enrich our lives with technology, it just doesn't make sense to no use it because you fear loss of privacy. There no longer is any privacy. If you are a law abiding citizen, with habits and preferences that you are not ashamed of, then, what do you have to hide?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
FB is worth what you make of it.

I communicate with many kin.
I found folks I lost contact with over 20 years ago.
And I have nothing to hide.
Repeat: I HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE!!!!
You?

Relax, folks! Fun is fun.
Those are my thoughts.
I don't do anything worth sharing, and I'm not scared the gubermint is watching. What have I done wrong?
Old 07-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I echo WayneM's sentiments in post #2 above. He pretty well covered my thoughts about Facebook,Twitter and social networking et al.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #10

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Thanks to Exploring for the offer, But no thanks. Agree there is no privacy anymore from BIG Gubment! But I do choose what I want some friends, family, .....and snoops to know. Shame that we live in a world that we are so exposed.
But here I sit with my cable Tv staring at me, typing away on my PC, waiting on my cell to ring.
Rushmore2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #11

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Just to add one more thing..... Okay to get Happy Birthday from friends on social media, but my close friends and family understand ...CALL, No text , no FB or Twitter wishes accepted.
Rushmore2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
My bumper sticker:

"Facebook: Where pointless information is shared with people you don't know"

Thanks for the offer. Personally I'll pass.

And to all, as a precaution just remember that it is "Social Networking," and that your information may be shared with many, many people you do not know. So, be careful of what you post about yourself, your address, you trips and travels, and anything that could be used to steal your identity.
Yes, being careful is important in every digital venue. Everything on iRV2 is searchable on Google.

Email is probably the most dangerous place to operate, but I do so cautiously.

FB is a tool. My info is blocked from all users except my friends. But it is not private. Staying away from political issues and such makes good sense.

Having a way to communicate with my kids and grands that do not email, to share events and pictures, keeping up to date. It is important to me. And them.

Skype is how I talk to and SEE my grand daughter overseas.

Over 10 years on FB, and many other places. I have nothing to hide.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
It is because we are loosing so much of our "privacy" and
"freedom" that I try and hang on to as much of it as possible.

I am on FB but do not post anything on it. I hate texting on a perfectly good phone that I can talk on. so I had the service blocked from the phone.

guess I am old enough to still like and wish for "the good old days!"

Do appreciate the offer.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #14

Carolina Campers
I may be older, but I am not gullible. If you need a course to teach you how to use Facebook then you may be someone that will be taken in by a smooth talking shyster, lurking in the wings for new "clients" that will help fund a life of luxury....

Dream on!