Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #127

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post
...I'm runnin' low on popcorn, back in a jiffy
Was that a pun?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
Respectfully, sir, why did the (moderator edit) Leader of the Senate not pass or even review a budget in the years 2008-2010 (moderator edit)

(moderator edit)

Please explain this for us.

(moderator edit)

But perhaps you will explain why they no longer have to abide by the law in this respect.
Senior Chief, I'm not going to defend (moderator edit)

Senior Chief, you are certainly old enough to remember when congress, for all it's differences managed to put together a budget that while not perfect
was acceptable to the majority of the population.

Senior Chief, do you remember when "compromise" was a term of respect, not a reason for your own party to try to toss you out on your a$$.

Senior Chief, I'm not old enough to remember when they passed the original "GI Bill", and am not going to questions whether you are or not, too much respect for "Chiefs" Senior Chief, do you remember when President Reagan and Speaker of the House Tip O'neill came together and forged a partnership in order to complete needed legislation?

Senior Chief, I do get passionate about my defense of the homeless vets, the disabled, the poor, and I fail to understand why a Nation with all the resources we have fail to protect those unable to protect themselves.

Senior Chief, yes, we have in the past signed contracts with unions, both private and in the public sector, contracts that in hindsight were stupid, overly expensive in long term benefits, Corporation with thoughts of dollar signs in their head, gave away the future for present day profits.
Promises were made, we do not have the right to tell a man, or woman, that the retirement we promised you doesn't exist anymore, we're a better country then that.

Senior Chief, many believe that we should eliminate the so called "welfare state", the very safety net that allowed this country to become as great as it IS. The strength of a man, and of a nation is how they take care of the poor and unfortunate.

Senior Chief, this country has not seen it's better days, we just need to go back to working together and quit demanding its "my way or we'll destroy the Govt", and it's not just one political party.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #129

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
If we go down the political path "They" just might close this thread....
True 'nuff-

but how do you discuss a political issue without referring to politics and politicians?

Never mind, time for my nap... *waves buh-bye*

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #130

As Wildtoad said, please lay off the direct political comments. There is some intereting discussion going here and I would hate to see it shut down becuase of partisan politics, which does seem to be a problem in this country.

So far I must admit that I think I have a much better understanding of how we got into this mess and why we aren't getting out of it anytime soon. Let's see, if I'm catching most of the posts correctly people will vote for someone that will cut entitlements.....as long as it's someone else's entitlement. We seem to be willing to raise taxes....as long as it's someone else's taxes.

I've wondered that if someone came to the forefront of the political system and just stated that we need to unite to correct the problem. We need to unite to both raise taxes and cut spending for this country to survive. Now I think my question is answered. We have gotten so self serving that a candidate that proposed something like raising taxes and cutting benefits would fail miserably to even stand a chance of getting elected. Sad, really sad.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
CDAT, do you think u are the only one? And to set the record staaight, less than 1% of the population of America serves or has ever served in the military.

What does that have to do with the question of are you willing to sacrifice part or some of your SS?
NO, I don't think I'm the only one, and btw 1% is less then 10% AND FYI 8% of the population served during WWII, so you can hardly say "less then 1% has EVER served in the military.
Personally I'm tired of people that sit back and get wealthy on the backs of the workers, and then sit back and complain that their taxes are too high, we need to get rid of the "illegals", oh ya, I need to go to walmart to get some veggies and fruit, who do ya think picked em? Pretty sure this thread has covered every aspect of the govt
Old 05-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post
I served in a small country in southeast Asia, but I'm not gonna tell those that didn't serve in the military that they don't have the right to speak up. We're all citizens here. And information is a good thing to share.... I'm runnin' low on popcorn, back in a jiffy
You Sir, are absolutely correct, I was wrong for the statement I made, and apologize to all who were offended. I do get passionate about my beliefs, cross the line, and then get carried away.

Cutting Benefits AND Cutting Taxes IMHO is what is needed.
Unfortunately as was stated before, no politician would ever get elected with that promise
Old 05-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #133

Senior Chief, I'm not sure Congress is mandated to come up with a budget each year. The President has to submit his budget proposals to Congress between the first Monday of January and February every year. But, I think Congress can legally get away with sending "omnibus" bills to run those parts of the country that are needing appropriations.

(moderator edit)

I suspect the Senate issue I pointed out earlier will be rectified by the voters in November. 23 Democratic and 10 Republican Senators are up for re-election. (moderator edit)

Whether enough folks are aware is another story.
Rubix cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #134

What really irks me is that one party can propose some legislation that is good for everybody, but the other party opposes it just because the first party proposed it.

My guess is that if one party proposed a pay raise for the other party, the other party would oppose it just because the first party proposed it.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdat View Post
Cutting Benefits AND Cutting Taxes IMHO is what is needed.
Unfortunately as was stated before, no politician would ever get elected with that promise
I totally agree. Doing it in a humane and just way is going to be extremely tough.

I'm not familiar enough with Paul Ryan's suggestions to be able to say if they are either. But, to date, I think he is the one with the most comprehensive plan.

I for one, would welcome a bipartisan effort to solve this problem, based upon their constituent's voices.

Everyone, here's an easy way to find out who your representative is: Find Your Representative House.gov
Rubix cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #136
Moderator Emeritus

OK folks, I've had to put on my moderator hat.

Just as several of you have posted in recent warnings, this thread has become unacceptably political. I have edited a number of posts made recently to remove comments about and fingers pointed at specific politicians or political parties. We ALL know that as soon as someone posts that "politician XYZ" is a no good son of a gun someone is compelled to post a rebuttal and .... you know where it goes from there so PLEASE help us out here by keeping your posts on topic and away from partisan politics.

Thanks for your help.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #137

Things will change in America when every citizen realizes that NO government in the United States, regardless of what level it is, can continue to do "the wrong thing" as long as the citizens allow it to happen.

If you don't like the way YOUR government is doing something vote the rascals out. Every incumbent faces the citizens in a primary election. Every incumbent faces the citizens in the general election. Indiana voted out the highest ranking Senator in the Senate because he voted the "wrong" way too many times and he stayed in Washington and lost touch with his BOSSES (us). We'll reelect another Senator from the same party in November but one that will reflect the opinions of his bosses (us).

Seems like people feel that all politicians need to be closely scrutinized except their's. I taught American government for 22 years and I told every class "If you have no idea who a candidate is, stay home or don't vote for that position". "If your intention is to vote a straight ticket time after time after time, stay home". No party has a monopoly on brains or honesty or good ideas.

If the devil, himself, ran for a particular office, he would be assured of 45% of the vote because he had the wisdom to run as a _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (you fill in the party). We are doomed if we done change our mindset.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #138

. . . . . . if we DON'T change our mindset. (sorry)
Old 05-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #139

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post

Was that a pun?
Indeed! And the way this thread is heating up, I won't even need a stove to pop it. I'll just wave it past my laptop screen
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #140

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdat View Post
You Sir, are absolutely correct, I was wrong for the statement I made, and apologize to all who were offended. I do get passionate about my beliefs, cross the line, and then get carried away.
I have no problem with passionate disagreements, I've been in several myself And I've said a few words here and there that I would like to have back.

I believe that without passionate disagreements, this culture we love so much, that we reverently call the United States of America, even with all its problems, would not even exist. We would still be in England. Growth is hard, and history is filled with risky behaviors and poor decisions. And many poor decisions have been made regarding SS.... Maybe we can figure it out. Maybe not. But open discussion is always valuable.

steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote