Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #197

wnytaxman, I just dont follow your logic. We who are on SS now did everyting that the "man" made us do for years. Now they have stolen the money, and you want US to fix it? You say if we dont we wont get it ?

What is wrong with making people NOW pay their part, LIKE WE DID WHEN WE WORKED, to support your forefathers, relatives etc?

I just dont get the WE need to fix it. We did not BREAK IT ?

I understand you argument about nothing there if it aint fixed, but you expect the elderly and poor to fix it? I think you have you priorities wrong on who should fix it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #198

Frankly, I wish I had the opportunity to pay a considerable chunk of this years Federal Tax needs.....

Rubix cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
wnytaxman, I just dont follow your logic. We who are on SS now did everyting that the "man" made us do for years. Now they have stolen the money, and you want US to fix it? You say if we dont we wont get it ?

What is wrong with making people NOW pay their part, LIKE WE DID WHEN WE WORKED, to support your forefathers, relatives etc?

I just dont get the WE need to fix it. We did not BREAK IT ?

I understand you argument about nothing there if it aint fixed, but you expect the elderly and poor to fix it? I think you have you priorities wrong on who should fix it.
As members of a democracy, we all share in the good and the bad. Yep, we all did what we were supposed to. We didn't run to Canada when the draft came knocking on our door even though we didn't agree with the logic of that war. We paid our taxes when others skated by and paid nothing. We didn't take drugs, but we pay for those that did. We started businesses that cost us much of our youth and even our marriages. We didn't steal from each other or from the government. We played by the rules.

WE are all in this together. The problem won't fix itself by just pointing the fingers at everyone else. When we do that we are just delaying the inevitable.

If you want to get back to three workers for every Social Security recipient, you may want to explain to your kids and grand kids why they have to work three jobs to pay Social Security taxes for people who are getting back way more than they paid in. You may want to explain to them that you deserve it. Gee, I wonder what the response will be when they say, "Wait, we didn't create the problem!"
Old 05-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #200

Quote:
This is largely due to demographics. People are having about half the kids they used to have and now there are only 3 people working for each retiree. There used to be 15. People are living longer. When SS security started, the average life span was 62 years. Now if you make it to 65, you will on average live into your mid 80's. This is all well and good, but it sure messes up the payment assumptions for SS. In the old days, family and church played a much bigger role in taking care of the elderly (I hate that word.) than they do now.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #201

We could argue this all day and night, but the facts are, WE paid our share, we were promised what we would get.

Dont look for ME to fix the U.S.s problem that I had NOTHING to do with making .

So No , I wont contribute, I already have.

Dont fret, this is my last post on this thread.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
This is largely due to demographics. People are having about half the kids they used to have and now there are only 3 people working for each retiree. There used to be 15. People are living longer. When SS security started, the average life span was 62 years. Now if you make it to 65, you will on average live into your mid 80's. This is all well and good, but it sure messes up the payment assumptions for SS. In the old days, family and church played a much bigger role in taking care of the elderly (I hate that word.) than they do now.

All True. Also our government moved the Social Security assets to the general fund so it could be 'borrowed against' to spend on other federally designated projects. Had this not happened, we would have faced our current spending dilemma before it was a dilemma.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #203

Quote:
Them that are working are paying their part. You make it sound like those that are working and paying into the system are not doing their fair share. You can't keep putting it on the backs your kids to pay more and more into SS to pay your benefits. There are too many people getting benefits (deserved and other), living far longer than the system was designed to support, and receiving benefits not part of the orig plan. Part of the solution is to get more people back to work so they do contribute, tighten up elegibility requirements for disability and supplemental income, and raise the retirement age for younger workers to reflect the increased life expectancy and health care. You put the 23 million un/under employed people to work and you start to rake in some dough.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #204

Quote:
There is a perfect way to fix SS. Simply do not allow payments to people who have not paid in for so many years. Raise the rates of the poor working slobs, (you know those like all of us on SS now, was for many many years) . You say it took 3 workers when it began and now it takes 15. Well whats the problem, just raise the rates to where it again just takes 3 to pay SS benefits.

Oh you dont like that do you? Well I wasnt too happy either ever year or two when they raised my contribution requirement. But I didnt get all those "rights" stuff all those years either.

Dont mess With Texas OR MY SS.
Your first sentence makes the most sense to me of what I've read so far Mick. I know it will be brutal on those already having a hard time to make it, those older folks with no other source of income ; but, perhaps people will donate at the local level. I know I do. I like the feeling I get when I know I've made a difference in someones life. I won't give to corner dwellers, but do give to people I know having a rough time.

If we all give back on how much we are taking based upon our number of years contributing, and start letting people of a certain age put the money in their own savings plan (ie let them control their own destiny, like we did as a nation prior to SS) we can reduce the Federal Spending problem.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
As members of a democracy,

Our governmental system is a republic: a state in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives chosen directly or indirectly by them.

A democracy is government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.

We elect them and they tell us what to do rather than having to hold referendums on everything government does. Thus the hue and cry to elect a person with similar viewpoints as yourself.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #206

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
We could argue this all day and night, but the facts are, WE paid our share, we were promised what we would get.

Dont look for ME to fix the U.S.s problem that I had NOTHING to do with making .

So No , I wont contribute, I already have.

Dont fret, this is my last post on this thread.

Me too, Mick.... I need to unhook my shorelines and head down the road, find a little trout stream, stick my head in the sand and relax a little....
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #207

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I favor a few changes

1: Demand that congress restore all the funds they have pilfired from Social Security over the years WITH INTERESTG

2: Demand that all those who have cheated the system pay back every dollar, 3 times over, WITH INTEREST

3: USe the resulting flood of money to increase our benefits. And to fund it for ever.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #208

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I favor a few changes

1: Demand that congress restore all the funds they have pilfired from Social Security over the years WITH INTERESTG
SS funds are "supposed" to be in IOU Treasury bonds drawing interest. But the money put in the Treasurys is already spent. So the Gov has to pay this debt just like all the other Treasurys. The SS will have to stand behind China to get the money. In a few years the Gov won't be able to pay the interest let alone some group trying to cash the bonds. Even China is getting nervous.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #209

Those SS IOU's are guaranteed by the full faith and credit of the US government which is spending $1.5 TRILLION a year more than we take in. Kinda gives you a warm fuzzy feeling doesn't it? Not only are we not stopping digging the hole, we are increasing the rate of digging drastically. This overspending seems so basic, I just can't see why we can't seem to grasp that borrowing 40 cents on every dollar we spend is not a good plan.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #210

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
...no no no, dont touch my ss. If you do, i will be with the other 50 million in the streets ready to fight.