Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #421
Senior Member
 
VanDiemen23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 778
Quote: There are 14 other Federal Departments that no one ever talks about.

I love it when folks think the answer to a huge problem is to nibble around the edges. ALL of those other 14 departments make up just 20% of the budget.

One thing you learn in managing budgets is that when you need to save money you start with where the big money goes, and that's SS, Medicare, and Defense.

There's more waste than outright fraud, but if you cut all of that (and the controls are likely to cost as much as the savings) we're still way behind the power curve.
__________________

__________________
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #422
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,159
Let Them Eat Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
In America, poverty is a choice.
This idea has become prevalent over the last decades -- that poverty is primarily cultural (i.e., the poor are poor because they are lazy) as opposed to decades of policy-making that punishes the poor and benefits the rich.

Your solution recycles the "pull themselves up by their bootstraps" solution to poverty.
__________________

__________________
2001 Mountain Aire DP 4095
2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
RVSeniorMoments.com
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #423
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Are those below the poverty line dying of poverty or are they dying due to their own choices?
Perhaps. For example, if Poor Johnny decides to take the shortcut to school through the Crips turf, he stands a 23% more chance of getting shot than if he takes his normal route.

However, if Johnny takes his normal route, then he may not make it to school in time to partake of that fine, free, Federally-subsidized school breakfast. You all remember the quality of school food right? Yum!
__________________
2001 Mountain Aire DP 4095
2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
RVSeniorMoments.com
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:46 PM   #424
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Tom, would you be in favor of a decrease in SS payments starting at an income of $150,000 and a total elimination of benefits once someone reaches $250,000 in income? I think that may be one way to help reduce the burden somewhat. The obvious one is to increase the retirement age which is probably way overdue. I don't think it is unreasonable for many people to work until they are 70. That's what I plan on doing.

Disability payments have got to become more strict. I have one client who started getting SS disability because he got too fat to work. Now he's too fat to work a job, but he's healthy enough to hook up a fifth wheel and drive to Florida and back every winter.

for those that sit in an a/c office or have a cushy or sedentary job, they can hold out to 70, but for many who have manual labor jobs and lon hours, they can not hold out to 70.
__________________
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #425
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
for those that sit in an a/c office or have a cushy or sedentary job, they can hold out to 70, but for many who have manual labor jobs and lon hours, they can not hold out to 70.

What will the manual laborer do when there is no Social Security at all because the system has been bankrupted? What will the poor do when there is no more social welfare because we can't afford it anymore? What will the sick do when there is no federally funded insurance program because we ran out of money?

My point is, and has been through this entire discussion, that changes have to be made and those changes will have an effect on all of us. The gravy train got derailed and now we have to clean it up. I am not happy about leaving the mess we, through our elected officials, have created.

The response from many who have posted is to make changes....to someone else but don't touch my entitlement. That's the problem that got us into the mess to begin with and the solution is certainly not more of the same.
__________________
2011 Berkshire 390bh (traded) 2018.5 Entegra Aspire 44R on order
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #426
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Perhaps. For example, if Poor Johnny decides to take the shortcut to school through the Crips turf, he stands a 23% more chance of getting shot than if he takes his normal route.

However, if Johnny takes his normal route, then he may not make it to school in time to partake of that fine, free, Federally-subsidized school breakfast. You all remember the quality of school food right? Yum!

But does little Johnny need a cell phone with 250 minutes added each month at the expense of the taxpayer? That's a multi billion dollar program. Does little Johnny need to take a taxi to school at taxpayer's expense? Does little Johnny need $300 Nike's?

Much of the waste that exists within poverty programs could be eliminated by making better choices within the program. If you are old enough you may remember Lyndon Johnson. Lyndon was going to end poverty in America forever. All that did was put more people on the government take and less who are willing to work.

Every single one of my clients who have been looking to hire people has come back with the same complaint. They can't find people to work. Why? Well, two years of unemployment insurance doesn't give someone a lot of incentive to go out and find a job. We are not talking minimum wage jobs either. These are jobs in the $15 an hour range and up.

Social programs are great when they actually work. When the programs become nothing but a crutch for people to not have to fend for themselves then the programs become counter productive. Sadly most politicians do not seem to look at the results of their "good work" and they don't see that they are causing more harm than good.
__________________
2011 Berkshire 390bh (traded) 2018.5 Entegra Aspire 44R on order
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #427
Senior Member
 
Lindsay Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Tavares, FL
Posts: 1,644
The US is filled with stories of people who have broken out of the poverty cycle and gone on to be very productive citizens and taxpayers. I am for giving people a help up. Our present system is designed to keep the poor in poverty. Personal responsibility is not taught in our schools. Kids are taught not to keep score in ball games and if they think 2 + 2 = 5 then it is OK because we don't want to damage their self esteem. Life does keep score and does so harshly. We continue to punish the achievers and reward the non achievers. You get more of what you reward. The SS system is a symptom of this.
__________________
http://www.linandnancy.com
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #428
Senior Member
 
Francesca's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Port Hadlock, Washington
Posts: 2,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
The gravy train got derailed and now we have to clean it up. I am not happy about leaving the mess we, through our elected officials, have created.

The response from many who have posted is to make changes....to someone else but don't touch my entitlement. That's the problem that got us into the mess to begin with and the solution is certainly not more of the same.
Won't nobody voluntarily get off the gravy train once they climb aboard, Babaloo...

Feet first or thrown off- that's it!

And since there's a huge industry built around around guaranteeing that once you're on the public you-know-what the Public can't get rid of you, it's going to stay that way, too!
__________________
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #429
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,159
Return of the Welfare Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
But does little Johnny need a cell phone with 250 minutes added each month at the expense of the taxpayer? That's a multi billion dollar program. Does little Johnny need to take a taxi to school at taxpayer's expense? Does little Johnny need $300 Nike's?
Ah, a variation of the long running (Reagan era), pre-election "Welfare Queen" story. Return of the 'Welfare Queen' - CNN.com
__________________
2001 Mountain Aire DP 4095
2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
RVSeniorMoments.com
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #430
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
The US is filled with stories of people who have broken out of the poverty cycle and gone on to be very productive citizens and taxpayers. I am for giving people a help up. Our present system is designed to keep the poor in poverty. Personal responsibility is not taught in our schools. Kids are taught not to keep score in ball games and if they think 2 + 2 = 5 then it is OK because we don't want to damage their self esteem.
A wonderful litany of talking points, but zero substance.

And you left one out -- the moral decline of America caused by the absence of school prayer in schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
Life does keep score and does so harshly.
Oy veh! Let's leave philosophy to Nietzsche.
__________________
2001 Mountain Aire DP 4095
2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
RVSeniorMoments.com
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #431
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Ah, a variation of the long running (Reagan era), pre-election "Welfare Queen" story. Return of the 'Welfare Queen' - CNN.com
Interesting that the story has the racial angle that seems to come up at various times whenever anyone proposes cutting any entitlements. I believe that most of those on welfare and food stamps in the US are Caucasian, but I may be wrong.

One of my clients is in the roughest part of Buffalo. I have to go by a poor city high school to get to this client. Most of those that attend the school are from the local housing projects. Tech, I think you might be surprised at the number of kids wearing the $300 Nike's and the $500 leather Raider jackets. When I mentioned this to one of my friends who teaches at a similar school in NY City I was surprised at her response, but I guess I shouldn't have been. She just responed that they believe they are "entitled" to those things even though they were on the public dole.

The Welfare Queen of the article is a ficticious character, but the abuses are not ficiticious.
__________________
2011 Berkshire 390bh (traded) 2018.5 Entegra Aspire 44R on order
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #432
Senior Member
 
Lindsay Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Tavares, FL
Posts: 1,644
Quote:
The Welfare Queen of the article is a ficticious character, but the abuses are not ficiticious.
That is so true and those who keep fostering this system and think they are doing so much good are keeping these folks from leaning that work leads to success. Kids that work hard in school and try to brake the cycle of poverrty are frequently looked down upon by their peers. It is not a color thing, but a culture thing. Time that should be spent learning the skills to be a good citizen are squandered.
__________________
http://www.linandnancy.com
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #433
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
We need to not pay SS to people that have never worked and never will. (unless they can't) Too many freeloaders.
I feel that it is just a big scare tactic to scare all older voters to vote as the politicians want you to vote and yes we should not pay anything to anyone that has not paid anything into SS.
I have been on it for 8 years now and went two years without a COLA and they have recently secretly raised the percentage ammount of your SS you must pay in tax if your combined income exceeds a certain ammount which seens to get lower every year. I have paid into SS since 1956 when I joined the USAF and some people are getting out more them me that have paid nothing into it becuase they had a bunch of Kids who are now all dependent on all of us that worked our butts off.

When SS first started it was supposed to be tax free when you finally started drawing your benefit, now over half of my yearly payment is subject to income tax, how fair is that? I am retired and still have to help pay for freeloaders

The answer is to vote out all the incumbants and get some new blood in congress and the senate that does not know how to screw us yet and limit all terms to two years with no fcancy medical and retirement benefits and watch how fast things get fixed
__________________
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #434
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
I feel that it is just a big scare tactic to scare all older voters to vote as the politicians want you to vote and yes we should not pay anything to anyone that has not paid anything into SS.
I have been on it for 8 years now and went two years without a COLA and they have recently secretly raised the percentage ammount of your SS you must pay in tax if your combined income exceeds a certain ammount which seens to get lower every year. I have paid into SS since 1956 when I joined the USAF and some people are getting out more them me that have paid nothing into it becuase they had a bunch of Kids who are now all dependent on all of us that worked our butts off.

When SS first started it was supposed to be tax free when you finally started drawing your benefit, now over half of my yearly payment is subject to income tax, how fair is that? I am retired and still have to help pay for freeloaders

The answer is to vote out all the incumbants and get some new blood in congress and the senate that does not know how to screw us yet and limit all terms to two years with no fcancy medical and retirement benefits and watch how fast things get fixed
When you are talking about not allowing anyone who hasn't paid into Social Security to draw it, just remember who you are excluding. That would exclude all the handicapped, widows, orphans, and so on. I don't think there are many here who would want to exclude those who could not take care of themselves.

As to the income limit when your SS becomes taxable, that limit hasn't changed in quite a few years. If your overall income changed that would make more of your SS taxable.
__________________

__________________
2011 Berkshire 390bh (traded) 2018.5 Entegra Aspire 44R on order
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.