Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #477

I agree 100 %.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #478

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
You are correct that an ex spouse will collect the greater of their own SS or half of their ex-spouses as long as they were married at least 10 years. The amounts drawn by the ex-spouse or spouses does not have any effect on the amount the other will draw.

Did that answer your question?
Boy, it sure does. Ten years, not seven, eh? And it doesn't matter how many exes there are?

Now that just seems wrong to me. And expensive.

It seems to me that rule right there ought to be changed. I s'pose it's small potatoes compared to other abuses, but it'd be a start.

And maybe not impossible....

Thanks- food for thought....

Old 05-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #479

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamshog View Post
Taxman,

What difference does it make how a company makes it's money??? If your company nets $100,000.00 this year and XYZ Construction nets $100,000.00 this year, what the h3ll differance does it make??? You shuffled paper with numbers on it and charged the customer, the contruction company built something and charged the customer. You paid out more in payroll and XYZ paid out more in material. Both made the same to pay tax on...

This is part of what's wrong with our tax system. Some want to make it more complex than it needs to be.

Flat tax would also do away with 50 to 75% of the IRS also!!!

Regards, Hamshog
Old 05-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #480

Change the system that was happy to take the money paid into SS with the pledge to return it when I got old to a system that will stop those payments now when I need them?

Are you stupid?
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #481

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Boy, it sure does. Ten years, not seven, eh? And it doesn't matter how many exes there are?

Now that just seems wrong to me. And expensive.

It seems to me that rule right there ought to be changed. I s'pose it's small potatoes compared to other abuses, but it'd be a start.

And maybe not impossible....

Thanks- food for thought....
Here is the link for the SSA website which covers survivors benefits.

Survivors Planner: If You're The Worker's Surviving Divorced Spouse

There is another goodie that most folks aren't aware of. If a parent starts collecting social security while they still have dependent children at home under the age of 18, those kids will draw SS also. There is a family maximum on the kids. I'm not sure if the family maximum would cover ex spouses, but I don't think it does.

For what it's worth the SS website, which is SSA.gov is a really good website. There is a lot of info there and the search engine within the site seems to be pretty good.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #482

My ex-wife, who never worked a day in her life or contributed a thing to SS, will get benefits based on my input. Wonderful.
Now I know why she has her kids to call just to see if I croaked yet.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #483

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
My ex-wife, who never worked a day in her life or contributed a thing to SS, will get benefits based on my input. Wonderful.
Now I know why she has her kids to call just to see if I croaked yet.

Bob, I hate to tell you this, but she'll get as much as half of your SS payments even if you don't croak.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamshog View Post
Taxman,

If your company nets $100,000.00 this year and XYZ Construction nets $100,000.00 this year, .........

This is part of what's wrong with our tax system. Some want to make it more complex than it needs to be.

Flat tax would also do away with 50 to 75% of the IRS also!!!

Regards, Hamshog

To get to the 'net' amount you have to take out Cost of Goods sold for manufactures. Without doing so, the Boeing Company would be out of business. One of their three core competencies is large-scale systems integration. They don't mill every part themselves, they bring them together. I think the two of you agree on this. It's implied in wnytaxman's first paragraph. But it does increase the complexity of the taxes.

Most things which have caused the complexity for our tax system have (or had) some sort of design behind them to stimulate the economy. For instance, tax breaks for interest on homes make it more affordable for people to buy houses. More houses get built, more people have jobs building houses, their salaries are spent at grocery stores, that creates jobs, and so on.

The effect is that, hopefully, more money is generated in additional taxes than were lost by the deductions.

I certainly don't like the complexity of our taxes. I do my own, and until recently that included a small business. But, I too like you wish there were a simpler way.
Rubix cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #485

With the Fair Tax, there is no corporate tax which is just passed along to the final consumer anyway via embedded costs. It is extremely easy to administer, but will never be passed because it takes out the politicians. SS, Medicare, Medicaid, ETC. are all included and the tax is paid on the individual's consumption of good. The rich buy more and pay more. The market decides. It is revenue neutral with existing system, but would vastly encourage exports and induce foreign companies to open plants here.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #486

Boy, Taxman, you're just full of good news, aren't you.
Darn, that annoys me. She leached off me for a little over 10 years.
OK, I made a really bad decision there that, unfortunately, directly or indirectly, all of you are paying for. Now that's a part that should be changed/scrapped.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #487

If you had been hit by a bus after 9 1/2 years, neither of you would have gotten a cent. (except for a few hundred bucks for burial.) That's why the ownership of our SS accounts is important. Consider yourself lucky.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #488

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Bob, I hate to tell you this, but she'll get as much as half of your SS payments even if you don't croak.

How so, Taxman?

Do you mean that exes can collect while the primary's still alive?

Thanks again
Old 05-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #489

Here is the actual break-down of who pays what in taxes:
The top 1% pay 36.73% based on $343,927 of AGI
The top 5% pay 58.66% based on $154,643 of AGI
The top 10% pay 70.47% based on $112,124 of AGI
The top 25% pay 87.30% based on $66,193 of AGI
The top 50% pay 97.75% based on $32,396 of AGI
The bottom 50% pay 2.25% based on poverty level.

Source = www.ntu.org

As to the rich buying more - go to youtube and search for Nick Hanauer.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #490

I quit this tread way back there and I have spent the last hour catching up with it.

I just fail to understand how a question like the one taxman posed can be answered by a person or persons who have paid SS payments for 50 years, and then be asked to give up some of it so people who are NOT ON SS YET, will have their full cup of tea.

Fix SS? Sure, but not on the back of folks who are on SS and have lived up the laws for the past 50 years !!!

What do we do with the mentally retarded, sick, lame and unhealty that cannot work?

Instead of asking that, ask this: What did we do in the 40s and the 50s and the 60s?

I was bored with the war arguments, especially in a SS thread.

14 depts make up 20% of our budget? Well there is 20% reduction right there in our spending that the states can and did do for years. Not even counting the people that would have to really go to work to earn a pay check.

Medicare? ur kidding , right? people in say NYstate get freee medicaid for their kids, even if they have 20, if they make under what 150,000 per year?

Meidcaid..........same as above.

Society....
A society, or a human society, is a group of people related to each other through persistent relations, or a large social grouping sharing the same geographical or virtual territory, subject to the same political authority and dominant cultural expectations. Human societies are characterized by patterns of relationships (social relations) between individuals who share a distinctive culture and institutions; a given society may be described as the sum total of such relationships among its constituent members. In the social sciences, a larger society often evinces stratification and/or dominance patterns in subgroups.
Insofar as it is collaborative, a society can enable its members to benefit in ways that would not otherwise be possible on an individual basis; both individual and social (common) benefits can thus be distinguished, or in many cases found to overlap.
A society can also consist of like-minded people governed by their own norms and values within a dominant, larger society. This is sometimes referred to as a subculture, a term used extensively within criminology.
More broadly, a society may be described as an economic, social, or industrial infrastructure, made up of a varied collection of individuals. Members of a society may be from different ethnic groups. A society can be a particular ethnic group, such as the Saxons; a nation state, such as Bhutan; or a broader cultural group, such as a Western society. The word society may also refer to an organized voluntary association of people for religious, benevolent, cultural, scientific, political, patriotic, or other purposes. A "society" may even, though more by means of metaphor, refer to a social organism such as an ant colony or any cooperative aggregate such as, for example, in some formulations of artificial intelligence.

If you do not contribute to society, what then makes society responsible for you?

See fixing SS is just a small problem facing America today. 35 pages of fixing SS and not one thing has been solved.