Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #113

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Yes I am ready to make sacrifices. The ones that immediately come to mind are to eliminate HHS, all welfare programs, all perks to politicians, etc. One cannot consider reducing SS benefits to those who are and have been paying into the program, that would not be a sacrifice it would be a crime. SS contributees (both individuals and employers) do so in good faith, why should they be penalized for a failing program that was plundered by politicians?
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #114

You guys are illustrating the problem very well. Cut ALL the government you hate (e.g. all the welfare, ag subsidies, foreign aid, yada, yada, yada) heck, while you are at it, cut DoD 50%.

That's only 30% of the budget, and what you would have left, is chaos.

There's no way out of this mess without cutting budgets, raising taxes, and reducing benefits in both SS and Medicare. No Way.

We got lucky a couple of times back - with bubble driven economies that generated a TON of revenue (tech bubble, real-estate bubble, etc) but there's no "next big thing" on the horizon, except maybe wind, solar, and natural gas - and unlike those other bubbles, the investments in the energy sector take SERIOUS money and have huge regulatory issues. Everything else is slooooooow growth.

Adapt or die.

I figure in the next couple of years the government is going to extend my service required before I can go out the door and change from a top 3 to a top 5 average. We've already had COLAs frozen for the last two years and likely will for another two.

Does it matter really, if you give up social security income if you are well above the poverty level if the other choice is to watch 15% inflation eat it all away?
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #115

O.M.G. we would not have to change SS or WF if there weren't
all the freeloaders this is the land of the free NOT the land
of the freeloaders that it has become.
1stCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #116

Quite simply, nothing will happen in responsibly reconciling the budget (changing spending or income) until the Senate Majority leader decides to allow discussion on Budget bills forwarded to it from the House of Representatives; or creates its own budget for the House to comment on.

Otherwise, all of the ideas here on Social Security are wishful thinking and only serves the purpose to let off steam. (moderator edit)

If this seems wrong to you, I urge you to find out who your two Senators are, and tell them to put pressure on (moderator edit)

U.S. Senate: Senators Home
Rubix cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #117

I wonder how the Blind guy from China and his family are going to survive here in the good old USA. Wonder who's paying for this. Can't even speak English. What's up with that?

Put them on the SS rolls. Bend over backwards for aliens and then they bend us over forward.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubix cube View Post
Quite simply, nothing will happen in responsibly reconciling the budget (changing spending or income) until the Senate Majority leader decides to allow discussion on Budget bills forwarded to it from the House of Representatives; or creates its own budget for the House to comment on.

Otherwise, all of the ideas here on Social Security are wishful thinking and only serves the purpose to let off steam. (moderator edit)

If this seems wrong to you, I urge you to find out who your two Senators are, and tell them to put pressure (moderator edit)

U.S. Senate: Senators Home
HOW about the Squeaker of the House quits sending "gotcha" budgets, quits threatening to shut down the US Govt just to gets his way, and he and his little buddies quit playing politics with the economy.
Should you guys wish to talk about all the "freeloaders, deadbeats, welfare queens" etc, how about if you're not willing to put your life on the line for this country, you pay double for the right to be here!?
I'm a "deadbeat" retired forcibly at 55 for medical reasons from the US Army, collecting SSD, and a medical retirement from the Military.
I earned every GD penny of it, less then 10% of the population served in the Military, as far as I'm concerned, if you're not willing to risk you life for this country,(moderator edit)
cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #119

Nobody ever said you were a deadbeat. The facts are there are a lot of deadbeats who are collecting SSDI and welfare, I see people in the checkout line all the time with EDT card that appear to be able bodied and have all sorts of items like cell phone, $60 nail jobs and hair jobs and are buying beer and smokes after we buy their steak and lobsters. There is a large amount of absue and that is undenyable.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #120

CDAT, do you think u are the only one? And to set the record staaight, less than 1% of the population of America serves or has ever served in the military.

What does that have to do with the question of are you willing to sacrifice part or some of your SS?
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #121

Hey, thanks for your service cdat.

I may be wrong, but don't recall anyone calling you a "deadbeat". I suspect most here support our retired military. In my opinion calling you a deadbeat would be way off base.

I served, on a volunteer basis, from 1973 to 1976. I maintain everyone should have their 1st amendment rights.

If you disagree with my posts, I would ask you keep your response respectful.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
Nobody ever said you were a deadbeat. The facts are there are a lot of deadbeats who are collecting SSDI and welfare, I see people in the checkout line all the time with EDT card that appear to be able bodied and have all sorts of items like cell phone, $60 nail jobs and hair jobs and are buying beer and smokes after we buy their steak and lobsters. There is a large amount of absue and that is undenyable.
I know vets and non-vets that are on SSDI and don't appear to be disabled, yet have very serious medical issues, many of them are also on welfare. While I know that there is abuse of the system, one should be awful careful about judging others unless you know the truth about them. 40% of homeless males are veterans, maybe instead of sitting around bitching and complaining about all the deadbeats you should go volunteer at a shelter or the VA. I'm 100% disabled, yet I can find ways to help at the VA, even if its just helping people find their way around.
BTW, I have a cellphone, can't drink more then one beer a nite due to the meds, I do enjoy a steak now and then, lobster - not so much. I earned my money in ways you can't even begin to imagine.
cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #123

Solo Rvers Club
I served in a small country in southeast Asia, but I'm not gonna tell those that didn't serve in the military that they don't have the right to speak up. We're all citizens here. And information is a good thing to share.... I'm runnin' low on popcorn, back in a jiffy
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #124

Aristotle once said, "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." yeah, and some of us have harder battles than others. It's a relative thing though. None of us has it as bad as most people in Bangladesh.

I still maintain that charity is best given at a local level. It is much less likely to be abused when the recipient knows the donor and vice versa. I don't like being told how much I'll be giving to charity by the government, especially when I don't think it is being used efficiently. Not to mention it is not in the constitution, while a common defense is.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #125

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdat View Post
HOW about the Squeaker of the House quits sending "gotcha" budgets, quits threatening to shut down the US Govt just to gets his way, and he and his little buddies quit playing politics with the economy.
(moderator edit)
Respectfully, sir, why did the Democrat Leader of the Senate not pass or even review a budget in the years 2008-2010 when the the "Squeaker" of the House was (moderator edit)

There is no filibustering allowed on a budget, so they were free to pass any (moderator edit) budget they pleased, yet....nothing.

(moderator edit)

Please explain this for us.

(moderator edit)

But perhaps you will explain why they no longer have to abide by the law in this respect.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #126

If we go down the political path "They" just might close this thread....

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote