Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #323

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Ah... but one is legal everywhere and the other is legal in many places under certain circumstances so what action should a positive result bring about?

It's a weak argument to take the position that "if they can afford those 'recreational drugs' they don't need a check from Uncle Sam". Wouldn't that logic have to extend to obesity and the argument that one doesn't need to eat so much food?

I'm being a bit tongue in cheek but a bit serious too.

Rick
It's all about Cost to the System, my friend...recreational drug use, most notably alcohol but including marijuana too, is certainly a major drain on the Privy Purse... but perhaps you're right- given the growing burden in that department, let's throw in an obesity test, too!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2012, 05:54 AM   #324

But don't you think that all of this boils down to the one major fault within our society. No one is accountable anymore. All through our society there is no accountability. Drunk drivers sue the bar that "allowed" them to get drunk. I recently got sued by a guy because I wouldn't prepare a fraudulent tax return for him. It wasn't his fault that he was a crook and got caught, it was my fault that he got caught. Those who still smoke do so knowing that someone else will take care of them. The same goes for the obese, the drunk, and the drugged out. If there was one thing that could help this country the most it would be accountability for one's own actions.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #325

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
I can get on board with that, so long as the test includes those that detect traces of alcohol and marijuana, the two most popular recreational drugs of my generation!
Caffeine, tobacco, and alcohol, in that order.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:03 AM   #326

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
I have one other way to reduce the entitlement generation, which does includes us. How about having anyone receiving any type of government payment being subject to drug testing. Test positive and you lose your check for that month and until you don't test positive. That change could reduce the entitlement crowd and help in the war against drugs. Of course the ACLU will have a field day with that one!
I fail to see how SS can be considered entitlement after one has been paying into it most of their lives! If anyone wants to cut my benefits, how about just eliminating them and give me a full refund of what I paid into the system, plus the interest I could have earned had the government not had it?
Old 05-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #327

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Ah... but one is legal everywhere and the other is legal in many places under certain circumstances so what action should a positive result bring about?

It's a weak argument to take the position that "if they can afford those 'recreational drugs' they don't need a check from Uncle Sam". Wouldn't that logic have to extend to obesity and the argument that one doesn't need to eat so much food?

I'm being a bit tongue in cheek but a bit serious too.

Rick
Not all obesity is caused by overeating.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
I fail to see how SS can be considered entitlement after one has been paying into it most of their lives! If anyone wants to cut my benefits, how about just eliminating them and give me a full refund of what I paid into the system, plus the interest I could have earned had the government not had it?

LadyFitz, if you go back to one of my earlier posts you will see that you need only survive for at least five years after reaching age 66 to get back all that you paid in and probably more than you paid in. Nowhere in the SS program is there any reference to earning interest. Again a major part of the problem is that the politicians have told people that this is an annuity when, in fact, it is just another tax, and pretty much a redistribution of wealth.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #329

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have heard that with Obamacare in a couple of years from now the medical deduction which is now just over a hundred dollars a month from everyone's SS check, will go up to over $225.00 per month...If that happens, a lot of people living on or close to what they get on SS, will really be hurting...Not sure this is factual...anyone out there know more about this..
kchadw1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #330

Quote:
you need only survive for at least five years after reaching age 66 to get back all that you paid in and probably more than you paid in.
Does that include what the employer paid in for you and the compounded interest on both?
Old 05-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
Does that include what the employer paid in for you and the compounded interest on both?

No Lindsay, that is just the raw numbers of the amounts withheld from the worker. It assumes that the worker earned the SS maximum wage for each of the last 35 years and is currently drawing the maximum. It does not make any assumptions on interest as there is no guarantee of interest on SS within the law. It does not include the employer portion. To include the employer portion you just double the number of years.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
We need to not pay SS to people that have never worked and never will. (unless they can't) Too many freeloaders.
But what about stay at home Moms? If my husband were to die before me (and the chances are that he will) I would be left with only my social security which is around $140 a month or so. I do have survivor benefits from military retirement, but that in no way is enough to support me. We had other plans but they went down the tubes around 4 years ago, so I no longer have that to help supplement my income.

Debbie
ladybostons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #333

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
We need to not pay SS to people that have never worked and never will. (unless they can't) Too many freeloaders.
Debbie,

I can't speak for the individual who posted this, but I for one wouldn't include spousal SS benefits under this heading.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #334

Quote:
No Lindsay, that is just the raw numbers of the amounts withheld from the worker. It assumes that the worker earned the SS maximum wage for each of the last 35 years and is currently drawing the maximum. It does not make any assumptions on interest as there is no guarantee of interest on SS within the law. It does not include the employer portion. To include the employer portion you just double the number of years.
I think this method give a hugely inaccurate number. The employer portion should be counted as it is income earned by the employee, just paid in by the employer. I would much rather skip the paperwork and give it to the employee. If the employee got the full amount and invested it as I did with my own investments, then there would be compound interest. The first dollar I ever paid into SS would be worth about $60 today. The money that I have in my retirement funds are many multiples above what I actually put in (have to look at inflation also) and so would my social security. But I think your statement is very misleading. Employer side, compound interest and inflation must all be taken into account in any fair analysis.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #335
Commercial Member

The only way to fix the SS & Medicare system is to put all the Senaters, Congress & even the President on it with us poor people!!!!! I bet that it wouldn't be in the shape it is in now. Also I think that there should be a term limit to 4 years and they need to stay out for one term before they can run again and only can hold office two terms and then it's back to making money the hard way. That's my 2 cents!!!!!
Paw John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
I have one other way to reduce the entitlement generation, which does includes us. How about having anyone receiving any type of government payment being subject to drug testing. Test positive and you lose your check for that month and until you don't test positive. That change could reduce the entitlement crowd and help in the war against drugs. Of course the ACLU will have a field day with that one!

I like this idea wnytaxman. And, to get around any complains, let's make it in the form of an Amendment to the Constitution. After all, the so called 'entitlements' are NOT a right, but a form of Charity.

We'd probably knock off several problems with one Amendment: less drug use, less crime as a result, and lower costs of 'entitlements' by getting more responsible citizens. Included in that amendment should be proof of citizenship, and reformation of the 14th amendment so as to not include children of people in the country illegally.
Rubix cube is offline   Reply With Quote