Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #463

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Tech, you could have saved yourself some attack time by reading the earlier posts. For reference my post of suggestions was number 225. It may be gramatically incorrect to quote oneself, but that's the only way I can put that info into a response.
I didn't realize this was a quiz.

Mostly ok, but not #4, 5, or 6 (wife is an attorney she says tort reform is just a red herring).

Also, definition of "income" should be broadened to include more assets.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
All of the able bodied. Do you disagree?
Yep.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #465

Texas Boomers Club
Just a couple of points to ponder from Alexis de Tocqueville, author of Democracy in America:

Quote:
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Volume 1 of Democracy in America was published in 1835; Volume 2 was published in 1840.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #466

Quote:
Yep.
No surprise that you think able bodied people don't need to work and that they should be supported by those that do work and are heavily taxed already. You might be interested to read the linked article below how the UK started a new program that able bodied folks on the dole (English term) had to do 30 hrs a week doing community service or lose their money. Working well, 1/3 of the recipients declined and chose not to work at all.

British leaders launch crackdown on job-seekers' allowance | The Daily Caller
Old 05-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #467

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
I didn't realize this was a quiz.

Mostly ok, but not #4, 5, or 6 (wife is an attorney she says tort reform is just a red herring).

Also, definition of "income" should be broadened to include more assets.

How about a why to your choices. I understand your reluctance to have tort reform come into the picture. I have yet to find an attorney who thinks that tort reform is needed even though many of us have been victimized by the lack of tort reform. Also income and assets are two very, very different items.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
No surprise that you think able bodied people don't need to work and that they should be supported by those that do work and are heavily taxed already. You might be interested to read the linked article below how the UK started a new program that able bodied folks on the dole (English term) had to do 30 hrs a week doing community service or lose their money. Working well, 1/3 of the recipients declined and chose not to work at all.

British leaders launch crackdown on job-seekers' allowance | The Daily Caller
Oops, sorry, Lindsey. I thought you texted that ALL welfare recipents were able bodied.

You just said all who are able bodied.

Let's call it a draw -- I misread and you dodged my question.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #469

Quote:
How about a why to your choices. I understand your reluctance to have tort reform come into the picture. I have yet to find an attorney who thinks that tort reform is needed even though many of us have been victimized by the lack of tort reform. Also income and assets are two very, very different items.
#4 (disability status) -- I would hope that there are other loopholes to close before going after this one.

#5 (politicians) - This one is silly.

#6 (Medicare) - Ok, so you opt out of Medicare. What do you get in return? Plus, if you opt out & spend all of your Health Savings, can you opt back in? Or does your family just drop you off at the local emergency room and the city/county/state/feds pick up the tab?

Tort reform - I laugh at lawyer jokes, too, but after you've seen a couple of product liability cases, you might change your opinion on tort reform. The issue is a red herring.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #470

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
#4 (disability status) -- I would hope that there are other loopholes to close before going after this one.

#5 (politicians) - This one is silly.

#6 (Medicare) - Ok, so you opt out of Medicare. What do you get in return? Plus, if you opt out & spend all of your Health Savings, can you opt back in? Or does your family just drop you off at the local emergency room and the city/county/state/feds pick up the tab?

Tort reform - I laugh at lawyer jokes, too, but after you've seen a couple of product liability cases, you might change your opinion on tort reform. The issue is a red herring.
Let's see, 30% of all those who draw SS are drawing disability. I have a client who is getting disability because he got too fat to work. So what you are saying is that it is perfectly all right to make lifestyle choices so you don't HAVE to work and so that you can just go on the public dole. I have another client who is on SSI and he was doing a cash job for a guy and he fell off the ladder so now he is suing the contractor and the home owner. But again, it's perfectly okay for those rip offs. Those that are truly disabled should be able to draw. Those that aren't should NOT be able to draw. I see rental properties as being a great dodge for the supposedly disabled. It is not considered "earned income" so it doesn't count against SS disability. That loophole needs to be closed and it's bigger than you might think. It would also add many folks to the roles of those paying SS taxes.

Perhaps if you would read through this thread instead of just attacking then you might realize that many Americans look upon SS as an annuity. Read through the thread, you may actually learn something.

As to the "red herring" of tort reform, well you'd better read up on the abuses of attorneys which from where I am seem like they at least equal, if not exceed those of corporations. I was sued by a jerk because I would NOT prepare a fraudulent tax return for him. Some scumbag attorney took the case and I eventually won, but it cost me $60,000. One of my clients had an employee who claims to have gotten hurt on the job. Their legal fees were just over $300,000 because some attorney got greedy. And you really don't think tort reform is needed? That is just incredible! I wonder how much of a red herring you would think tort reform is if you would have been attacked by a thief in a three piece suit!
Old 05-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #471

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba07 View Post
This is what scares me about people like you taxman. You are not even aware of how offensive you have been.
Alba, please tell me where I have been offensive to you or anyone else. So far I thought this discussion had been pretty civilized. We have had disagreements and everyone has shared what their thoughts were and moved on. I did not make any wise guy remarks like "I didn't know this was a quiz," or anything remotely like that. I have not engaged in any personal attacks until I was attacked. So if I have been offensive to you or anyone else, please let me know where and I do apologize for any remarks that you may have been offended by.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #472

So tell me why you think able bodied welfare recipients should not be required to work. Doing day care for those who do work would be good. It used to work that way. You obviously didn't read the article about the UK.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #473

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:

We live in a very complex world
You said a mouthful, taxman!

Now , begging everyone's indulgence, I'd like to ask Taxman to apply his expertise to a question relevant to this subject that may well relate to my very own situation:

Is it true that when a person that's been married several times dies, the surviving spouses and ex-spouses are each entitled to the full amount of the Social Security Survivor's check, so long as each marriage lasted a minimum of seven years?

My Mother always swore that after my Dad died, not only did she get a full monthly check, my Dad's second wife did, too.

Is that possible????????

Thanks!

P.S.

Hey, Mods!

If you're considering thread closure, could you please please wait until Taxman answers my question? I'm really curious about what looks to me like double-dipping, and since I myself am a second wife I'm faced with the potential choice of whether or not to become guilty of doing it myself!

Talk about a moral dilemma...
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
You said a mouthful, taxman!

Now , begging everyone's indulgence, I'd like to ask Taxman to apply his expertise to a question relevant to this subject that may well relate to my very own situation:

Is it true that when a person that's been married several times dies, the surviving spouses and ex-spouses are each entitled to the full amount of the Social Security Survivor's check, so long as each marriage lasted a minimum of seven years?

My Mother always swore that after my Dad died, not only did she get a full monthly check, my Dad's second wife did, too.

Is that possible????????

Thanks!

P.S.

Hey, Mods!

If you're considering thread closure, could you please please wait until Taxman answers my question? I'm really curious about what looks to me like double-dipping, and since I myself am a second wife I'm faced with the potential choice of whether or not to become guilty of doing it myself!

Talk about a moral dilemma...
You are correct that an ex spouse will collect the greater of their own SS or half of their ex-spouses as long as they were married at least 10 years. The amounts drawn by the ex-spouse or spouses does not have any effect on the amount the other will draw.

Did that answer your question?
Old 05-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #475

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This thread is becoming so hot my screen is starting to melt...LOL
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #476
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Time out folks.

The personal comments and attacks will have to stop.

A spirited discussion is OK, but discuss the issue, not each other.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote