Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #1

I received some good news for a change.... :B

A few weeks ago I received a letter from Social Security stating that I was no longer able to participate in their "T" ticket job training program.. They were canceling my ticket because of ...( then listed several reasons for dropping me from the program)..

I didn't think much about it for a couple of weeks and thought I had thrown the letter away..

Then yesterday, I found the letter and decided to call Social Security for more information about it... worried that maybe it could effect my monthly Soc.Sec. check.

I asked him to please explain the letter because I did not know what a "T" ticket was or that I had been on that program since I was 58 years old.

He said not to worry, because all the letter was saying is that I had reached the age of "Full Retirement" ...... which is 65.

and after a person reaches 65 years old they are no longer considered to be "Disabled" by Social Security definition...
even if the person is actually still disabled..

Because I am now considered by Social Security to be a "Retired" person my monthly check will start coming from the Regular Social Security account and not the "Disability" Soc.Sec. account..

PLUS.... My monthly check would remain the same ,,, no decrease or increase due to being automatically shifted over to "Regular" retirement status...

I would continue to get the maximum Social Security amount because I had started drawing the maximum when I went on disability at age 58..

When a person is awarded S.S. "Disability" .... it is the same amount that he would normally receive when he reaches "Full Retirement Age"..

And... AND ... ... here is the best part...

because I am now over 65 I can go back to work and earn "UNLIMITED" income, if I want too.

YES... that is "Unlimited" income and it will NOT effect my Social Security income in any way...

I thought that at age 65 a person could only earn up to a certain amount ($18000.00) and anything more than that would effect the monthly SS amount...

and I also thought that a person had to be over 70 years old before he could earn all the money he wanted too.

Not anymore the SS man said .... thanks to Bill Clinton signing a law into effect saying that the "Full Retirement Age" with "unlimited income allowance" is 65, not 70 years old.

So theoretically speaking I could earn a million dollars a year and still draw my full Soc.Sec. check with NO penalties..

He told me that I would not notice anything different with my SS check because the only thing that has happened is that the check is being issued from a different "Pocket" in the treasury..

My check now comes out of the "Regular Retirement" pocket instead of the "Disability" pocket.

I guess that old adage of "Good things come to those who wait" has some truth to it after all..

HOT DOG !!! quick... somebody give me a job that will pay me a million dollar a year... I'll bring my own wheelchair and lunch bucket..

hummnnnnnn... wonder how much a Wal-Mart door greeter is paid ....

John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #2

I received some good news for a change.... :B

A few weeks ago I received a letter from Social Security stating that I was no longer able to participate in their "T" ticket job training program.. They were canceling my ticket because of ...( then listed several reasons for dropping me from the program)..

I didn't think much about it for a couple of weeks and thought I had thrown the letter away..

Then yesterday, I found the letter and decided to call Social Security for more information about it... worried that maybe it could effect my monthly Soc.Sec. check.

I asked him to please explain the letter because I did not know what a "T" ticket was or that I had been on that program since I was 58 years old.

He said not to worry, because all the letter was saying is that I had reached the age of "Full Retirement" ...... which is 65.

and after a person reaches 65 years old they are no longer considered to be "Disabled" by Social Security definition...
even if the person is actually still disabled..

Because I am now considered by Social Security to be a "Retired" person my monthly check will start coming from the Regular Social Security account and not the "Disability" Soc.Sec. account..

PLUS.... My monthly check would remain the same ,,, no decrease or increase due to being automatically shifted over to "Regular" retirement status...

I would continue to get the maximum Social Security amount because I had started drawing the maximum when I went on disability at age 58..

When a person is awarded S.S. "Disability" .... it is the same amount that he would normally receive when he reaches "Full Retirement Age"..

And... AND ... ... here is the best part...

because I am now over 65 I can go back to work and earn "UNLIMITED" income, if I want too.

YES... that is "Unlimited" income and it will NOT effect my Social Security income in any way...

I thought that at age 65 a person could only earn up to a certain amount ($18000.00) and anything more than that would effect the monthly SS amount...

and I also thought that a person had to be over 70 years old before he could earn all the money he wanted too.

Not anymore the SS man said .... thanks to Bill Clinton signing a law into effect saying that the "Full Retirement Age" with "unlimited income allowance" is 65, not 70 years old.

So theoretically speaking I could earn a million dollars a year and still draw my full Soc.Sec. check with NO penalties..

He told me that I would not notice anything different with my SS check because the only thing that has happened is that the check is being issued from a different "Pocket" in the treasury..

My check now comes out of the "Regular Retirement" pocket instead of the "Disability" pocket.

I guess that old adage of "Good things come to those who wait" has some truth to it after all..

HOT DOG !!! quick... somebody give me a job that will pay me a million dollar a year... I'll bring my own wheelchair and lunch bucket..

hummnnnnnn... wonder how much a Wal-Mart door greeter is paid ....

John

Old 11-07-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

So John, let's hear something about how your RV is doing or where you've been lately in it?

Tell us more about your RV and how you use it...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:15 PM   #4

Hi Reb,

Since I lost my right eye, I have been severely restricted on my traveling...

I can't drive at night or in heavy traffic because of losing peripheral vision and depth perception..

So my RV is stuck in an RV park for the time being...

I still live full time in it of course, but my RVing is now done with friends who have a 5th wheel and when I get the chance I go exploring in my truck.

The area around northern Nevada and California has so many interesting places to see that it would take a lifetime to see them all..

If you are ever in this area, give a shout and I will show you some of the places I like to wander around in...

John
Old 11-12-2007, 01:17 PM   #5

John

What SS didn't tell you is that if your income is over $40,000 (includes wifes) (it starts at $20,000 and works up to $40,000) the IRS will tax 80% of your SS income. Nice paying taxes on money you paid in for retirement! s/Toby
Old 11-15-2007, 11:06 AM   #6

I have a better one I am on full SS and keep a part time job until the wife retires. The part time job is required to with hold SS so I am paying my own SS makes sense to me

Chuck Linn is offline   Reply With Quote