Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2016, 08:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Link says a .2% increase of COL for 2017 maybe.
If it is then anyone paying for Medicare at the $104.90 rate now that has been retired for a few years, will see it increase to $105.10
I wonder why my Medicare is $121?????

1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2016, 10:07 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
You all make me feel good that I made the right decision at the ripe old age of 18, I joined the military. My wife and I are both Vietnam era Veterans, and we both have VA coverage. And I'm not trying to rub anybody the wrong way, I'm truly appreciative of that decision, nothing more.

I had no idea we were doing such a good thing back then. We won't have to deal with Medicare, Medicaid, etc.

I'm planning on retiring Jul 31, just over a month from now, and I'm scared to death. It'll be the first time in my life I don't have a job. I know a lot of you have retired and don't know how you ever had time to have a job, but I'm a newbie at this. I hope I'll learn, I'm only 60 now, and hope I'll have plenty of time to learn as well as a lot of you have.

BigBlockTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:20 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We retired early due to a company buy out (52&53) so SS will be a bonus for us. Sure glad we both started contributing to our 401s early on. It's hard to explain to kids just starting out that you HAVE TO start putting that money away. Bump up the contribution when you get a raise and you won't miss it.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:50 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
We retired early due to a company buy out (52&53) so SS will be a bonus for us. Sure glad we both started contributing to our 401s early on. It's hard to explain to kids just starting out that you HAVE TO start putting that money away. Bump up the contribution when you get a raise and you won't miss it.
Exactly! I started collecting SS three months ago, but I hardly notice it as I have investment income. To me, SS is just a bonus.

Put away money before you retire and you won't have to fret whether or not there will be a cost-of-living increase, etc.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:05 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
Exactly! I started collecting SS three months ago, but I hardly notice it as I have investment income. To me, SS is just a bonus.

Put away money before you retire and you won't have to fret whether or not there will be a cost-of-living increase, etc.
We just took some of our "saved" money to pay off a few bills, and it felt odd to take money out. We started saving right after we came in the military. I put half of all my promotions in savings, then transferred at one point or another to different accounts. We listened to our elders when we were kids, thank goodness for the way children were raised back then!!

BigBlockTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:30 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
I wonder why my Medicare is $121?????
Because you just started it in the last year. Most other people enrolled for several years only pay $104.90 because there has been little or no cola on as in the last several years. Since you just started collecting SS, you are collecting more than someone at the same income level who started collecting 5 years ago.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:50 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post

And I salute you Sir. You had a plan and stuck to it. Please try to understand not all of were fortunate enough to have life go the way we planned.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
What am I going to do with $3 more a month?

Now I am in a real quandary.........high finance was never my forte
Buy three items at Dollar General?
Old 06-27-2016, 07:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Because you just started it in the last year. Most other people enrolled for several years only pay $104.90 because there has been little or no cola on as in the last several years. Since you just started collecting SS, you are collecting more than someone at the same income level who started collecting 5 years ago.
Actually I started collecting SS back in 2014, but with disability after two years on it you are automatically enrolled (Feb of this year), but my sister turned 65 last November (2015) is paying $104........
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
Buy three items at Dollar General?
Sorry, but with sales tax, you will still lose!
Old 07-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
Sorry, but with sales tax, you will still lose!
chuckle...true. He'd only be able to get two items at Dollar General, and after paying sales tax on top of it, have to pocket the remainder.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:59 AM   #26
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm trying to figure out how to spend all that extra money I will be getting!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:19 PM   #27

It appears that the 2017 FICA max will be up to $126,000 from the current $118,500. Usually increases in the cap will result in increases in the benefits so I don't think I would be looking for any cups of hemlock or arsenic soon.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:51 PM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Link says a .2% increase of COL for 2017 maybe.
If it is then anyone paying for Medicare at the $104.90 rate now that has been retired for a few years, will see it increase to $105.10 :(
The COLA we will get increases by 2/10th of a percent. The Part B Medicare premium that we pay will increase: (from HR2004 link)

"The estimated average monthly premium for Medicare Part B in 2017 is $149, up from 2016's rate of $121.80 and 2015's rate of $104.90. About 70% of Part B enrollees will be able to avoid the portion of the premium increase that exceeds their Social Security benefit increase, according to the health-insurance report."

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote