Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-08-2016, 09:34 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 2,250
This is a good thread,,, as we are looking in the "next few years" to throw my keys on the boss's desk and say bye" .... BUT we have to have the ducks in a row.....
__________________

__________________
Monkey, pilot of a Great Dane hauler,
2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax/Alison 4x4 CrewCab 2016 Cougar 28SGS
1ST CAV
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2016, 07:48 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
jerboy's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 393
I've had my ducks in a row several times but they always seem to QUACK UP.

Sorry---
__________________

__________________
WE WORK HARD SO OUR DOG CAN HAVE A BETTER LIFE
2005 ADVENTURER 38J
jerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:50 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
biker art's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grants Pass,Or
Posts: 270
Thanks guys,you ruined my night.Whenever I think about SS and the Gov I get angry.
__________________
1977 class B Dodge MH, 2002 honda valkyrie motorcycle,Grants Pass,Or
biker art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:07 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 108
It is important to sign up for medicare as soon as you are qualified. Other wise your premiums could be higher than others. If your Medicare premium is directly debited from your SS payment, medicare premium can not increase more than COLA.
__________________
Sehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:02 AM   #33
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehc View Post
It is important to sign up for medicare as soon as you are qualified. Other wise your premiums could be higher than others. If your Medicare premium is directly debited from your SS payment, medicare premium can not increase more than COLA.

Thanks for the heads-up!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:27 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
aauummm's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Altoona, Iowa
Posts: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker art View Post
Thanks guys,you ruined my night.Whenever I think about SS and the Gov I get angry.
This will make you more angry. They rip you off at the beginning of SS and the end. Before you get your first check you have to go through a whole calendar month, then they pay you on one of the Wednesdays of the next month depending on your birthday number. Thus it could be up to almost two months after you retire before you get your first SS check. At the end, they take back the whole last check for that month, even if you passed away on the 29th of the month.
__________________
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C, mucho mods
2011 Honda CRV, 2004 Rubicon (mucho mods)
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:53 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
ArmandV's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Tarzana, CA
Posts: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
This will make you more angry. They rip you off at the beginning of SS and the end. Before you get your first check you have to go through a whole calendar month, then they pay you on one of the Wednesdays of the next month depending on your birthday number. Thus it could be up to almost two months after you retire before you get your first SS check. At the end, they take back the whole last check for that month, even if you passed away on the 29th of the month.
Exactly!

We found that out when my mom passed away six years ago.
__________________
2015 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:00 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
aauummm's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Altoona, Iowa
Posts: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
Exactly!

We found that out when my mom passed away six years ago.
Same here only it was my step-mother and what makes it worse, I was on her checking account as co-owner so they ripped me off for her last SS check. They get you coming AND going.
__________________
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C, mucho mods
2011 Honda CRV, 2004 Rubicon (mucho mods)
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:00 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
jfran304's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Warner Robins, GA
Posts: 2,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I'm trying to figure out how to spend all that extra money I will be getting!
Don't worry the gov't will figure out a way to get it back plus some.

Jon
__________________
Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:19 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
mikensallyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Portland, Tx
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockTank View Post
You all make me feel good that I made the right decision at the ripe old age of 18, I joined the military. My wife and I are both Vietnam era Veterans, and we both have VA coverage. And I'm not trying to rub anybody the wrong way, I'm truly appreciative of that decision, nothing more.

I had no idea we were doing such a good thing back then. We won't have to deal with Medicare, Medicaid, etc.

I'm planning on retiring Jul 31, just over a month from now, and I'm scared to death. It'll be the first time in my life I don't have a job. I know a lot of you have retired and don't know how you ever had time to have a job, but I'm a newbie at this. I hope I'll learn, I'm only 60 now, and hope I'll have plenty of time to learn as well as a lot of you have.
I was in the same boat. I stayed with Tricare though. Little did I know but once I turned 65 Medicare Part A and Part B is automatic and required (mandatory) now. No way around that. You wont even have to sign up for it, SSN will do that for you both automatically. Welcome to the older folks syndrome lol.
__________________
Mikey (USN retired, Radioman)
mikensallyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:49 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 2,801
As I read through this thread I wonder how many of you realize that you will collect substantially more from Social Security than you and your employer paid into the system. Hence the reason the system is in trouble. We are living too long and the system was not designed to have this many people drawing on it for the number of years that most of us will draw. Social Security was designed to be a safety net, not an entitlement. I know that will generate howls but anytime you can draw more of a system than you paid into it makes it an entitlement.
__________________
2011 Berkshire 390bh (traded) 2018.5 Entegra Aspire 44R on order
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
ArmandV's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Tarzana, CA
Posts: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
As I read through this thread I wonder how many of you realize that you will collect substantially more from Social Security than you and your employer paid into the system. Hence the reason the system is in trouble. We are living too long and the system was not designed to have this many people drawing on it for the number of years that most of us will draw. Social Security was designed to be a safety net, not an entitlement. I know that will generate howls but anytime you can draw more of a system than you paid into it makes it an entitlement.
While all that is true, the problem is that the government took out money YOU earned and put it into a flawed system where your money is not earning interest. Perhaps it evens out since, as you said, we are getting paid more than what was put in. But who knows how much we could have received back, when we are collecting, had our dollars earned interest?

Also, the government robs the SS fund to pay for everything else in the federal budget.
__________________
2015 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:33 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
While all that is true, the problem is that the government took out money YOU earned and put it into a flawed system where your money is not earning interest. Perhaps it evens out since, as you said, we are getting paid more than what was put in. But who knows how much we could have received back, when we are collecting, had our dollars earned interest?

Also, the government robs the SS fund to pay for everything else in the federal budget.
In theory we all approved the system because it was what our "representatves" voted for. I don't think most people realize how opened ended the system has become. Most do not realize that the largest holder of IOU's from the federal government is not the Chinese but Social Security which is collecting interest.....that is, as long as the government can afford to pay it. The original borrowing from the system was done to pay for the Vietnam War and the borrowing has continued since the mid-60's.
__________________
2011 Berkshire 390bh (traded) 2018.5 Entegra Aspire 44R on order
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:01 PM   #42
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,123
Let's stick to the topic without getting into a general discussion about Government policies. This section of our Community Rules prohibits this here.

General discussions of politics, general government policies, weaponry, gun rights and religion are not allowed in ANY areas of iRV2. Discussions about current or pending legislation or regulations, weapons and religion that directly pertain to RVing are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they wander off topic or become disruptive.

Thanks
__________________

__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Social Security ratcity Just Conversation 24 03-20-2010 05:23 PM
Social Security Cards - what a crock! chasfm11 Just Conversation 20 03-02-2008 03:05 PM
Social Security good thing John Harrelson Just Conversation 5 11-15-2007 11:06 AM
First Baby Boomer Applies for Social Security ChiefJohn Just Conversation 2 10-15-2007 05:37 PM
Military Retirees and Social Security ChiefJohn Military / Veteran RVing 15 05-22-2007 12:26 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.