Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2016, 12:04 PM   #15
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Life is a series of adventures, both good and bad. Personally I think it's how you approach each of those adventures that determines which column they will fall into.

I jumped right into the RVing deep end 5.5 years ago. Sure there have been speed bumps along the way, but I consider them as mole hills and not mountains. The wonderful people I've met and the marvelous experiences I've had would have been impossible without my "money pit".

It's all about your attitude.

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2016, 01:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Life is a series of adventures, both good and bad. Personally I think it's how you approach each of those adventures that determines which column they will fall into.

I jumped right into the RVing deep end 5.5 years ago. Sure there have been speed bumps along the way, but I consider them as mole hills and not mountains. The wonderful people I've met and the marvelous experiences I've had would have been impossible without my "money pit".

It's all about your attitude.
You are right. Attitude is a huge part of it. And I'm not saying we should all be RV mechanics before we own one. But your toolbox should probably have more than a screwdriver in it.

Oh and if anyone wants to talk money pits....let's not forget race cars. Oh yes. I have reached full speed on the stupidity scale there. LOL.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:10 PM   #17
RVM1

Some people should not RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
I love hearing this: "I'm gonna sell my home and buy an RV!" Economic Darwinism.
Yes, if they don't have a viable plan.
We started our retirement planning in the 90s, paid off all debts before retirement.
And the term "sunk funds", as far as the RV goes, is absolutely true. And waking up each day to say "I get to live like this" is a true joy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Saw posted above that renting was the plan to stay out of a S&B's money pit. Maybe i'm missing something but i see renting is an ongoing, never ending money pit with nothing to ever show for it.
We are prepared to RV long. Renting is not a financial hole if you are still growing your investments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Could not agree with the OP more. Not only that, but these folks are trying to pilot a 70' toad/RV combo around in RV parks, campgrounds, fuel stops and rest areas when they'd have problems driving a Mini Cooper in an empty Walmart parking lot. If they want to blow their life's savings away on anything, that's their business, but when they become an immediate danger to me, I get more than slightly upset.

I agree. They should prepare.
I was trained in the Smith Driving System, and also took the CDL driving test.

I know a great many fulltimers that succeeded with similar plans, that also live much more free of stress than ever before in their adult lives.

So, some should not fulltime....until they prepare. Perhaps iRV2 threads like this can help.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:56 PM   #18

You could say this about most anything .
A good example is owning a s&B home . If you don't have a grasp on carpentry, plumbing, electrical, landscaping etc & have to pay someone every time something goes wrong , your kind of in the same boat .
Also , while I do realize real estate is often times an asset , for some of us , it can be a real money pit . We bought a house in 1993 for 68k, by 2002 it was valued at 180k. In 2003 we were flooded . Spent 70k putting it back together . In 2008 it was valued at 87k. We lost it & all of our savings in 2009 because of the recession & that flood , & a dirty mortgage company . I'll never have another mortgage .
Old 10-14-2016, 05:15 PM   #19

I've purchased a couple of S&B's where someone had the "know how" and could "do the work themselves." The icing on the cake looks good, but as soon as you dig in, ou quickly find shoddy work from someone that should have "phoned a (professional) friend." One just has to turn on HGTV to see a ton of examples like Holmes on Homes where people "knew what they were doing." In the end, there are many things ready to take your money if you don't do your homework.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:23 PM   #20

That's what I'm sayin . Criticizing someone for buying an RV they no nothing about is no different .
When I bought our first RV I was clueless . I bought cheap for 2 reasons . I didn't have any money is a pretty good one . Secondly I thought it would be a good idea to learn on an old cheap one first . It worked out pretty well for us .
Old 10-14-2016, 05:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
You could say this about most anything .
A good example is owning a s&B home . If you don't have a grasp on carpentry, plumbing, electrical, landscaping etc & have to pay someone every time something goes wrong , your kind of in the same boat .
Also , while I do realize real estate is often times an asset , for some of us , it can be a real money pit . We bought a house in 1993 for 68k, by 2002 it was valued at 180k. In 2003 we were flooded . Spent 70k putting it back together . In 2008 it was valued at 87k. We lost it & all of our savings in 2009 because of the recession & that flood , & a dirty mortgage company . I'll never have another mortgage .
Do tell about the dirty mortgage company?
Old 10-14-2016, 05:45 PM   #22
tcg

We always talked about retiring into one but at 52 it's becoming obvious I may not make it to retirement age because of health issues.

We moved up our plan and bought one but our first one was a 20 year old class c that's as close to new as something that old can get.

We paid cash and I put about 3 grand into it customizing it to my liking and getting it ready for a month long Florida trip this winter. If for some reason we decide it's not for us or I drop dead we or my wife can easily get the money we spent and probablly make a couple bucks.

If I make it to retirement and we decide the lifestyle is for us we will have a pretty good idea what we want in our next rv but there is no way, even though we can afford it, we're buying new and spending a year or more getting all the bugs out when there are plenty of used one available.

I want to sell everything and go away, my wife says no. But when I say sell everything it's not to fund anything it's just to get rid of crap. If it don't work out I can just sell the rv and buy another house.

I don't really care what other people do but those people that run out and get a brand new rv will be selling me my next rv in a couple years so have at it.

I do enjoy watching those rv shows where people come in and buy a monster first time rv. I would love to see a follow up show a year after purchase.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:48 PM   #23

I sense sarcasm .
When money got tight because business dried up I contacted mortgage company to see about making arrangements for my payments . They were as nice as can be . I had to send them copy's of my debt , utility's , living expenses etc , as well as proof of income . So I did . Was told I'd here from them in 6-8 weeks . On the 7th week I got a letter from them saying if I don't make arrangements with them I would be facing foreclosure . So I contacted them . They claimed they couldn't find my packet , but for 100.00 fee they would do a search. I argued . Then they said my packet was given to a collection agency . So I had to contact them .
The collection agency said because so much time had gone by , I needed to resend everything , so I did .i also enquired about a possible short sale . Was told that was my best option , they would send me the info to get this going . 3 days later I was sent s foreclosure notice .
Old 10-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I jumped right in with the help of a knowledgable friend.

He spent a good bit of time going over the operation of the various systems until I was comfortable.

I don't do my own service anymore, loved it when I was young and had hot rods but I've made to a point in life where I would rather pay to have oil changed, batteries changed out and the like. After all for me that was the point of working hard to be successful.

I really hate to government involved in most anything, but I do think it's odd that anyone with a drivers license, who perhaps has never driven anything larger than a passenger car, can walk on to a lot a drive away with a class A or hook up their F150 to 40' fifth wheel. Don't have the answer to this one.

For most people with a little common sense and modest mechanical ability the learning curve isn't all that steep.

I do feel bad for those that sell everything and jump then find out it's not for them.

I look at my MH as a luxury not a necessity which means I paid cash for it, never finance luxury items and at my age 50s I have no interest in debt, especially long term debt.

We all had to learn at some point. The new owners will learn too if we are patient with them and willing to help when they are parked next to us. Assume quite a few of them get a lot of their new knowledge right here on iRV2.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #25

I should also mention that this all went on during about 6 months time . They wouldn't let me send any money . We did send money twice , they sent it back .
Old 10-14-2016, 06:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
There are times here when I'm simply blown away with some folks who jump into RV'ing with no prior experience with RV's, or owning anything as complicated as one. ...

It very much concerns me when I read of someone who has no viable backup plan when full timing. ...

I have seen many threads here over the years, and it really is sad to watch. ... This stuff really isn't for everyone.
I agree with some of the statements, but very few of the conclusions.

(I simply shortened the OP statements, I did not post the actual things I agree or disagree with...)

I agree with the statements as RVs, Full Timing and the like are not for everyone. I also agree it is sad to see people feel they have lost everything.

But it has been my experience that many people do not plan to succeed, and therefore do not. It is as simple as that.

To require some sort of test, or some required qualifications is not just silly, but impossible, and very elitist. Who would establish this test? Who would enforce it? It all stinks of either people who feel they are 'better' than others, or want to enforce their values over people with other values. Both do not sit well with me.

Truth is, if a financially foolish person is prohibited from purchasing an RV, and they want one, a financially dishonest person will take advantage of them, and they will buy one outside of the 'guidelines' discussed in the previous paragraph, and will then wind up failing harder, sooner.

I am quick to help people whom need it. Some want it, some not so much, but I am willing to help people whenever I can. Sometimes they want knowledge I have, and this is the form I most enjoy helping with, but I also offer up my time, and frequently my other resources as well.

I may offer up that a person in need should get more knowledge, or professional help (like a mechanic) but I rarely tell people they do not qualify to do what they want to do. Who am I to make that judgement? I am not qualified.

Some people spend tens of thousands of dollars on new luxury cars that I feel are a waste of money. I can buy that same car in great shape for half the money, if I get one that is a couple years old instead. To me that makes sense, but not to everyone. Many people like new cars, and spend too much money on them, and many other people owe their jobs and livelihoods to those folks who buy new cars. (I have also bought new cars in my life, and may in the future as well, but only if I have the funds available) At this point, I do not plan to do so.

Don't get me wrong. I have a very, very high opinion of myself, and the decisions I make. I know I am a smart guy and make good decisions. I just also happen to know that what is right for me is just that, right for me, not for other people. I do not mistake my own opinion for what should be done, or what I would do, as that other people should do.

I would not sell everything and start full timing without a plan. But others would find that adventure worth the risk. I do not feel it is my place to tell them they are wrong.

Others may be comfortable telling people they do not know, that they are wrong, simply because they do things that are different.

I am glad I live in a place where we have the freedom to do what we want, even if what we want is not what is well considered or good for us...
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:23 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
This thread reminds me of a local farmer who 1 million in the Hoosier Lottery, when he was asked what he was going to do with all that money he replied I 'll keep farming until its all gone. I think you could replace farmer with RV'er and still have same out come..
Old 10-14-2016, 06:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBeaver View Post
If you think RV is a money pit, you should try owning a boat. A one bad leak while you're not there and you could find yourself with a submarine.
Agreed! I have both (have had boats for several years). They have systems in common, and many of the same general principals apply. But you can just step out of your RV if it breaks down while under way - the same is not true for a boat!