Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2016, 06:32 PM   #29

KSagal, your right . Some people make plans & for whatever reason , sometimes beyond they're control , the plans don't work out .
I have a friend that is pretty darn proud of his success, & he'll make sure to tell you how he did it .
He doesn't mention the inheritance from grandparents, his parents paid for college , paid for the wedding , helped buy first house & a new car at graduation . Some folks don't have those same opportunity to get started .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2016, 06:49 PM   #30

Curiously, how do you become experienced with an RV without owning one? With our first RV, we just jumped right in. We're not mechanically inclined, so we have everything done by a professional, just like we do on our home. That way I have someone to yell at when stuff goes wrong. A good RV repair pro is just like a good contractor. And to be honest, I've seen a lot of so-called experienced know-it-all RVers whose rigs were a ness from their half-arsed self-repair work. It takes all kinds. We'll be in it as long as it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
There are times here when I'm simply blown away with some folks who jump into RV'ing with no prior experience with RV's, or owning anything as complicated as one. Many don't have the mechanical knowledge, nor the network of people needed at times to fix things for them. They don't know the first thing about taking care of an RV. And probably the worst scenario, they don't have the wherewithal to weather the storm when problems arise. And they will!

Old 10-14-2016, 07:19 PM   #31

We are in America. You have the freedom to make a mistake or not. I don't worry about people that spend above their means. Its not my business unless they break the law.

Spend what you have, spend what you don't have, live above or below your means, I don't really care. If you are a criminal, I hope you go to jail.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:20 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnitis View Post
Curiously, how do you become experienced with an RV without owning one? With our first RV, we just jumped right in. We're not mechanically inclined, so we have everything done by a professional, just like we do on our home. That way I have someone to yell at when stuff goes wrong. A good RV repair pro is just like a good contractor. And to be honest, I've seen a lot of so-called experienced know-it-all RVers whose rigs were a ness from their half-arsed self-repair work. It takes all kinds. We'll be in it as long as it's fun.

The same way most drag racers learn how to be drag racers . Your jump in , make mistakes , make friends , learn from them etc
Old 10-15-2016, 01:50 AM   #33

Location: 2004 Country Coach Sienna, 4 slides. Full timer and drifting continually
I think a newbe would buy a cheapie to start and see what it's all about. That's what I did and each of my 6 m/h's where a little bigger and a little more money as I moved up over 26 years. I love having an RV but I enjoy working on it too.

I believe in buying used.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:13 AM   #34

Well, I'm sure we fit in this thread somewhere. We had never owned, rented, or borrowed a an RV much less a motorhome before we purchased ours in April 2015. Bought it and moved in full time the same day. Cleared our UHaul storage lockers within 30 days. After 18 months we still like it and it looks doable for the long haul. Have more than a screw driver in the toolbox but, most parks won't permit tearing apart the RV for repairs. We do use professionals when needed which has not been too often at this point.

Don't expect full timing to be perfect but it is entertaining to say the least. If it all goes South at some point, it's back to a S&B or a more permanent RV park.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:25 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Might be interesting to review this thread in a year. We're probably right in the crosshairs of this thread, never owned an RV before, bought new, going fulltime with very little "practicetime" in just over a month. But I think it will work for us no matter how it works. Everyone is different, and I hope we have at least a little common sense!

We planned for this for years, have a business we will continue to operate from the road, and we're not selling the S&B but renting it out (fallback). We're also both mechanically inclined. I've been working on my cars for years, and my wife is the house expert, so we should have the basics covered even with the learning curve. We have other rentals that between them, make the RV payments and account for some expenses. That's one of the reasons we decided to buy new, along with warranty, service, etc. for the first year at least. We also got a good enough deal that if after a year we decide this isn't for us, we should be able to sell with little or no downside. But we are giving it that year, and I cannot wait to see more of this country that I have been flying over for so many years.
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:28 AM   #36

Please understand that I never said that some people shouldn't be allowed to RV. I was very clear that some people just shouldn't. There is no enforcement needed for a test and a test would not be required. But if there were a test, and people could see their likelyhood a success or failure in RV'ing, they may choose to rethink it. It isn't en-titlist or elitist or any of those things.

Also mentioned was planning. Just like anything else in life....those who plan tend to succeed much more often than those who don't.

And I already mentioned attitude: Problems are going to come up. It's all in what your attitude is approaching the solution that makes all the difference. Will it be a learning experience, or a miserable time that seems to drag on forever? Attitude will determine much of that answer.

Again, people can do what they like....I never said they couldn't. But just maybe they shouldn't. I don't enjoy seeing people suffer. Even if they brought it on themselves.

As far as the mortgage comments: Not all lenders are bad. Period. But when you go into breech of contract with them, all bets are off. Then being fair and making sense go out the window. That's just sad reality. By no means am I being critical of you. Bad things sometimes happen to good people.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:21 AM   #37

Great thread. Wouldnt everyone benefit from living their lives in an Rv just for the flexibility? Instead it's a bucket list item for most people. You play, you pay. Depreciation (all the way to zero), maintenance, and repairs make owning one very costly. The experience makes it worth it. We found keeping a nice 10 year old gas Moho, and trading up every so often in best for us. If there is a catastrophic failure or our lifestyle changes, it can be given away without worry. A Rv mortgage or warranty nobody wants to honor just adds stress to life.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:31 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
We are fulltime and fulfilling our dream. We made a plan, worked the plan, and now enjoy life more than ever.
It is not the proper lifestyle for everyone. Being an adventurer is just as important as good financial planning and knowing how to handle all predicaments.
We will enjoy this lifestyle until we cannot or change our minds. And will never own an S&B money pit again. We will rent so we can MOVE.
Our contingency plan is the house money that is invested. The money that was falling through the bottom of the house is reallocated to supporting everything we do "out here".
Yes, some are not prepared. Some will fail.
We prepared.
The Journey is Our Destination
Couldn't have said it better!
marco1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:28 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
Please understand that I never said that some people shouldn't be allowed to RV. I was very clear that some people just shouldn't. There is no enforcement needed for a test and a test would not be required. But if there were a test, and people could see their likelyhood a success or failure in RV'ing, they may choose to rethink it. It isn't en-titlist or elitist or any of those things.

Also mentioned was planning. Just like anything else in life....those who plan tend to succeed much more often than those who don't.

As far as the mortgage comments: Not all lenders are bad. Period. But when you go into breech of contract with them, all bets are off. Then being fair and making sense go out the window. That's just sad reality. By no means am I being critical of you. Bad things sometimes happen to good people.

I get your points as some things in life are just using common sense....but that is the problem, some don't use common sense. Even if there were a "test" so to speak, people would answer the questions in a manner that would justify their decision or position to do whatever it is they want to do, so it would be pointless. With all the info available on IRV2 and other publications, people who don't know what they are getting into didn't plan for success, winged it and maybe they succeed or fail, but it is still their decision and they are responsible for the outcome, good or bad.

As far as the mortgage comments, I think the reality is the same. A lot of people took chances when they went with some of the new/unknown lenders who seemed to offer deals "you couldn't refuse or pass up". That is what got a lot of people in trouble. It has always been my experience to use reputable loan companies, with years of experience, that do things the right way and don't necessarily offer deals too good to be true. Many people tried to save a few dollars by going with the unknown, or these great deals( no down payment/balloon loans ect) and ended up losing in the long run.

As far as selling your home to go full timing, I would not recommend that. All the homes we have owned and still own (including two we do not live in) have been appreciating assets even during the recession. Sure they dipped a little, but we were never close to being upside down(just like stocks will do) during that time period. They have since recovered and surpassed even our expectations. So at the end of the day, at least where we live, real estate has always been a safe and secure investment to fall back on in the event your experience with full timing does not work for you or you can no longer live on the road.
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:09 AM   #40

Actually, the second part is the meaning of "common sense." The term that is used when people want to describe their sensibility as the most popular: the common one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I get your points as some things in life are just using common sense....but that is the problem, some don't use common sense. Even if there were a "test" so to speak, people would answer the questions in a manner that would justify their decision or position to do whatever it is they want to do, so it would be pointless.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:10 AM   #41

Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
The same way most drag racers learn how to be drag racers . Your jump in , make mistakes , make friends , learn from them etc
Old 10-16-2016, 12:20 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnitis View Post
Actually, the second part is the meaning of "common sense." The term that is used when people want to describe their sensibility as the most popular: the common one.
Not really there are just some things that don't always work in your best interest, and one should not do it as it is not good for anyone, not just the person taking the action but anyone else considering it. What you are talking about is "values", and most peoples values differ based on what makes sense to them at the given time based on life experience and needs. Common sense has nothing to do with what is popular, but your values may.

Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote