Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2016, 04:50 AM   #1

Some people should not RV

There are times here when I'm simply blown away with some folks who jump into RV'ing with no prior experience with RV's, or owning anything as complicated as one. Many don't have the mechanical knowledge, nor the network of people needed at times to fix things for them. They don't know the first thing about taking care of an RV. And probably the worst scenario, they don't have the wherewithal to weather the storm when problems arise. And they will!

It very much concerns me when I read of someone who has no viable backup plan when full timing. It's also concerning when ALL of a person's financial resources are tied up in an RV. Most of us would not think of doing that with a car. But somehow it's ok with an RV. Then when things go really wrong, their entire world falls apart.

I have seen many threads here over the years, and it really is sad to watch. And there is really no way to help them at that point. There ought to be a test with qualifications or something to help those of us who shouldn't do this, not do this. This stuff really isn't for everyone.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2016, 05:12 AM   #2

I agree somewhat, my problem is why some sell everything they own that they have been paying for most of their lives and dump it into a money Pitt. I'm one of those what if kinda people like getting to old to rv or sick.Don't take me wrong I love RVing but it's only a hobby.I also think some people should not have kids either or pets, can't save the world.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:22 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
RV'ing (even fulltiming ) has been called a hobby more than once. Perhaps that's the best description. It certainly isn't an investment financially speaking. The closer and closer I get to retirement the less and less I think I will spend on my "dream" RV.

They are truly "money pits". I guess we should all jump in knowing that.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:29 AM   #4

Hmmm. I kinda agree with you, but everyone started RV'ing with none or little knowledge, and everyone is still somewhere in their RV learning curve. This runs the gamut from the person who doesn't even know who manufactured his chassis (look at the logo on the steering wheel!), to those who are very knowledgeable and can undertake almost anything needed for their RV. I was a newbie back in 1977, but was mechanically skilled from working on my sports cars, and I like to think I have increased my knowledge over the years. I propose the best state for owning an RV is to learn enough to recognize when there is a problem, fix it if you can but "know what you don't know", and get expert help when needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
There are times here when I'm simply blown away with some folks who jump into RV'ing with no prior experience with RV's, or owning anything as complicated as one. Many don't have the mechanical knowledge, nor the network of people needed at times to fix things for them. They don't know the first thing about taking care of an RV. And probably the worst scenario, they don't have the wherewithal to weather the storm when problems arise. And they will!

It very much concerns me when I read of someone who has no viable backup plan when full timing. It's also concerning when ALL of a person's financial resources are tied up in an RV. Most of us would not think of doing that with a car. But somehow it's ok with an RV. Then when things go really wrong, their entire world falls apart.

I have seen many threads here over the years, and it really is sad to watch. And there is really no way to help them at that point. There ought to be a test with qualifications or something to help those of us who shouldn't do this, not do this. This stuff really isn't for everyone.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:59 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All what the OP stated we have read may times. Be it the young retirees seeking adventure now that they have time or the single person who is looking to reduce their living expenses by acquiring an older rig that only needs a bit of TCL (as stated by the seller).

This way of life we have chosen is not for those with restricted or limited resources. One fridge fire, tire blow out, roof leak, traffic accident, catastrophic power train failure,,, and the dream quickly turns into a nightmare that you can't wake up from. Always have a fall back or contingency plan before heading out. Be it for a weekend outing with the family or packing it all in, selling everything and hitting the road for as long as you physically able.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:14 AM   #6

Some people should not RV

We are fulltime and fulfilling our dream. We made a plan, worked the plan, and now enjoy life more than ever.
It is not the proper lifestyle for everyone. Being an adventurer is just as important as good financial planning and knowing how to handle all predicaments.
We will enjoy this lifestyle until we cannot or change our minds. And will never own an S&B money pit again. We will rent so we can MOVE.
Our contingency plan is the house money that is invested. The money that was falling through the bottom of the house is reallocated to supporting everything we do "out here".
Yes, some are not prepared. Some will fail.
We prepared.
The Journey is Our Destination
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:21 AM   #7

If you think RV is a money pit, you should try owning a boat. A one bad leak while you're not there and you could find yourself with a submarine.

I could write a long list of comparisons between RV and a boat. For example running out of fuel.

People will make bad decisions always. Somebody else's bad decision to buy a RV is your opportunity to buy a discounted RV.
OldBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:37 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
...... And will never own an S&B money pit again.......
Some S&B's are money pits I'm sure. All of our RV's are. Many, many people enjoy the income and equity that can be available as homes go up in value. At my retirement I plan to use the income from a few paid for rentals to pay for this expensive hobby called RV'ing. Being honest though, the more I think about it the more difficult it will be to tie money up in something that depreciates so quickly.
I could never rent long term. I sure am glad people do though. We have one renter that has been with us for 22 years.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post

Almost everyone I know that has a RV "jumped" in without any experience- including myself. You are right it doesn't work out for everyone. Helps to keep a nice pipeline of good late model used units available.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:53 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I love hearing this: "I'm gonna sell my home and buy an RV!" Economic Darwinism. Sell an appreciating asset and buy a rapidly depreciating asset. If one sells their home, protects that money, and sets off in an RV they've owned for years, now that is something different. But an RV is not a house. It is built on a motorized chassis that needs maintenance, and it is built of lightweight materials to allow it to go down the road economically, and it goes down the road with all the bumps and jarring that ensue. All this makes an RV tremendously more expensive to maintain than a home, especially if you can't do it yourself for reasons of knowledge or physical ability.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:15 AM   #11

I would say that most people jump in without much experience. They learn as they go. But then there are always a few who get excited, but know nothing and haven't the common sense to figure out even the most basic things. The OP is certainly right, RVing isn't for everyone.

Saw posted above that renting was the plan to stay out of a S&B's money pit. Maybe i'm missing something but i see renting is an ongoing, never ending money pit with nothing to ever show for it.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:26 AM   #12

IMO our motorhome is the half way house between conventional living and the old folks home!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:46 AM   #13

Could not agree with the OP more. Not only that, but these folks are trying to pilot a 70' toad/RV combo around in RV parks, campgrounds, fuel stops and rest areas when they'd have problems driving a Mini Cooper in an empty Walmart parking lot. If they want to blow their life's savings away on anything, that's their business, but when they become an immediate danger to me, I get more than slightly upset.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:58 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
DH has always said to never risk money you aren't prepared to lose, be it in the stock market or an RV. That way if things don't work out, you can cope more easily.

We paid cash for our RV (after decades of living like no one else so one day we could afford to live like no one else) because we do not like debt. We consider the RV a sunk cost, not an asset, even though it will always retain some measure of value. We don't even think of it when we review our investments, and that for us is a peace of mind thing.

It is not just the RV lifestyle that people dive into with unrealistic expectations. As a small business owner who has survived for almost 20 years through an array of brutal economic conditions, I have seen many other small businesses around me collapse. The almost mystical appeal of "being my own boss" too often clouded the need to prepare for the harsh reality that at times you are also likely to be the janitor, the lowest paid employee, and the one working the longest and most difficult (sometimes sleepless) hours. I spent a full year preparing before I took the plunge (got an MBA, worked with SCORE, interviewed countless other small business owners, read every business book in the library) and even with all that, there was (and is) still so much to learn!