Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-31-2013, 08:58 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have found (after turning 70) that I now routinely do things I only attributed to "stupid" people.

2008 Bounder 38P F53 24/30K V10, 2013 Kia Soul Basic 6 speed manual, Ready Brake Elite tow system (previous equipment 1996 Pace Arrow Vision w/Acme Dolly)
Brockx is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2013, 09:29 AM   #16
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would never call myself stupid. I let DW handle that side of it. She does a pretty good job of it.

However, we do have a routine and the routine is on a list that she calls out to me and i have to confirm that it is "done." At the very end before we pull out from the S&B, or from a camp site, she does a final walk around checking all the bay doors, the jacks are really up, the antenna down and then all the exterior lights are working as supposed to. She has walked back inside and asked if i was going to disconnect the electric before leaving - that is a way of calling me stupid. My only response is "Oh crap!"

Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #17
Tiffin Owners Club
I learned the value of checklists by watching my father use a checklist every time I flew with him. It became a way of life for me and the more complex a machine, be it an airplane, boat, or motorhome, the more important it is.
I learned my lesson early in life when I got in a hurry to depart an airport and a fellow pilot brought to my attention the tail of the plane was still chained down. They really rubbed me about that one.
I have checklists for all kind of things.
johnsong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:34 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Mario-John View Post
I'll admit to the power cord. I was on the interstate when a nice motorist flagged me down.. Pedistool was still attached.. Sad part was I did a walk around and said it's hot, Ill just keep it on as long as I can to keep the A/C running..

I have also stopped at a rest stop to find the fuel pump nozzle still hanging out of the gas hole. Stuff just happens.
I can't imagine not seeing this in the mirrors.
Mark & Carole RVM54
What a long strange trip it's been
2002 Fourwinds 5000 26Q 496 ci. Chevy towing 2004 Jeep Wrangler,2016 Starcraft AR One 18', 2016 F-150
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #19
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
That is the reason you need to do a walk around to see if every thing is read to roll.....

Having RV'ed since 1984, I have seen a lot of things that you can attribute to lack of experience and being a newbie...other things are just plain stupid.

So since 1984 you have never done anything STUPID? I have rv traveled since 1970 and seen alot, and done a few.
2013 F250 Super Crew, 4x4, powerstrke
2013 Sundance 3310 CL, Platinum
iawoody2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:38 AM   #20
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a saying in the boating community. " If you haven't been aground , you haven't been around.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:45 AM   #21
Clothes pins help...

Our steering wheel spokes are flat aluminum and perfect for clothes pins.

Read here some time ago about them.

Keep fresh ones and a sharpie in the drawer with the ones already marked.

As things are done a pin goes on the wheel.

Things are stored and made ready, pins only removed when item is confirmed ready to roll.
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:54 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Before leaving anywhere I do a close proximity walk around checking basement door, levelers, electric. and water hook ups.. I then do a walk around from approximately 20-30ft. at the front left to right of MH again. Rechecking levelers antenna tires and general all around check of MH.
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #23
Thor Owners Club
When I first got my new 5er I was backing it in to its new parking spot repositioning it beside the house and for whatever reason I had been inside the RV and left the steps out.....well I backed the steps against a post and twisted the assembly pretty bad.....Boy did I feel stupid.......Made me aware that routines.....especially the walk around should never change. Oh yea...The post came out the next day.....just in case..lol
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #24
The interuption of the routine is what gets you. Use a check list...if interupted you start over.
2008 AC Allegiance 42G, Spartan, ISL
hooverbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #25
Ford Super Duty Owner
When parked in storage at my home, I have a 6X8 inch white poster board. I place it on the speedometer cutout. 1. unplug and remove trickle charger and extension cord. 2. remove tire covers. 3. remove tennis balls from under wiper arms. 4. close refrigerator doors.
While camping I don't use a checklist. I do have a nonworking ign. key. I install it in the ign. switch when i raise the TV antenna and it has a orange streamer. I remove it after letting the ant. down.
I always go outside and get everything ready for travel. I then come inside and start the coach and walk back outside and do a final walk around while the engine warms up.
This has worked well for me since we got our first camper in 1968.
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #26
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a permanent label on my dash just about the tach "Is everything disconnected?"

Reminds me to do that walk-around one more time.
Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #27
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lightbulb Walk around X2

My wife and I have got into a habit of walking around the RV twice. Once when in the site,once after we pull out. The things that crawl under that motorhome when camping is amazing!
2003 Winnebago WFG33V Adventurer - 8.1 Gas, Workhorse Chassis - Medium Titanium Metalic

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #28
Our Berkshire has a checklist built into the dash gages, have to click each one to clear the messages, covers just about everything.

2009 Berkshire 390 QS and toad
Retired and traveling
no3putt is offline   Reply With Quote