Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-01-2014, 07:43 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Having the setup/teardown routine interrupted is what gets me. I was unhitching and setting up the 5th wheel when someone came over wanting to talk. In retrospect, I guess I should have risked being perceived as rude and asked if it could wait until I finish setting up. Instead, I resumed my routine, pulled the truck out from under the 5th wheel, and discovered the umbilical from the 5th wheel was still plugged into the receptacle in the pickup bed!! That one took a few hours to repair before we left the campground.

You are spot on here Rusty with the interruption thing, even at work as a crane operator I have learned to not allow people to talk to me anymore during the set-up or the tear-down procedure of the crane, I do not open the cab door till I am done and have had some that can't wait and open the door and I tell them to hold on and close it again. same with getting ready to leave a site with the Coach, talking with people done before I start my procedure for departure.

2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2014, 07:58 AM   #44
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So that is why I have two power cords.. Just in case.....

Actually.. Did it once myself, but the cord I was using had a splice, which thankfully failed before any damage was done.. Easily fixed later.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:18 AM   #45
My check list is rather long with a Toyhauler. After break down and putting things away, double check that the bike or cart is strapped properly, I do the double walk around and touch all hookups (I start at the trailer to truck, water, electric, sewer cover), doors (storeage, toy and main), and even the vent on the first go around to be sure everything is as should be. The last thing I do is plug in the 7-pin connector for the trailer lights/brakes (where I started, but on the other side of the rig). Second go around I look at everything again and check clearances for where I am about to depart to - wet limbs hang lower than dry ones, someone may have parked within the turning radius or even moved a campground table to within my turn radius.

SO FAR, the worst I have done is forget to plug in the trailer lights. I always check the trailer lights in my mirrors to make sure I have done the check without forgetting. Like someone said, "a break in routine" - I had taken the trailer to my GFs brothers house for people to stay in when her daughter got married. He, the brother, interrupted me and I forgot the 7-pin and had driven 5-7 miles with no lights or trailer brakes. Lucky for me, I realized it and pulled over and did another walk around. Nothing damaged, as I store the cord in a way it doesn't and won't drag. Nothing else forgotten. So I consider myself lucky so far. I can see how things can and do get forgotten. A good inspection will add 3-5 minutes to departure, provided nothing is forgotten.
Bob and sometimes - Nina - a Staffordshire Terrier/a SPOILED pit and her kitty Spaz
2006 Dodge SLT 2500 4x4 Cummins Quad Cab w/AT and 3.73
2007 Salem Sport LE 26FBSRV (TH) w/ my Victory Motorcycle in it or a EZ GO Shuttle cart.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #46
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well after reading this thread through to the end it is with founding gratitude that I have found I have a lot of company with the mishaps I have experienced over the years.
I will only add watch out for your age it seems you will forget many of the things that had gone wrong, and should have learned from, will begin to visit you again.
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #47
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I need a "Check List" for my "Check List"!
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #48
Sat. (12/28) we saddled up and headed south. North of Delta, CO, I pulled in to fuel up. As I pulled out I cut sharp to the left and the passenger side of the 5er swung out and totaled an aux. gas pump. Totaled the pump, tore off part of the rear of the 5er and the bike rack. I was just about to pull back onto the highway when I looked in the rear mirror and notice the bikes dragging. I had no idea I'd hit that pump. So, I put all the pieces (including the fiberglass bumper) in the back of the truck and headed back home. About 1/2 way there an air intake hose on the turbocharger (which I had just had replaced) came loose. OEM clamp would not work to redo the hose. Nice fellow stopped and had a couple of clamps that I fit together to get me home. Fellow turned out to be an RVer and I made a new friend.

Insurance is a blessing.

Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote