Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Someone left the powercord

Yup just missed seeing it happen today here in New Orleans. Class A pulled out, pulled the power pedestal over broke water pipe off water spraying all over. Power cord finally pulled out of rv, guess he didn't notice he kept on going. It pays to have that last walk around to check it all out.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You have to remember that there is no cure for stupid.

Ken

Old 12-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Happened to us too although the dealer did it. Of course they maintained they didn't do it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
You have to remember that there is no cure for stupid.

Ken
Nothing to do with being "STUPID". Sometime thing just happen. I do not think it was necessary for you to call them that! Yes preventable, but stuff happens.
C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I'll admit to the power cord. I was on the interstate when a nice motorist flagged me down.. Pedistool was still attached.. Sad part was I did a walk around and said it's hot, Ill just keep it on as long as I can to keep the A/C running..

I have also stopped at a rest stop to find the fuel pump nozzle still hanging out of the gas hole. Stuff just happens.
Mario-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&SL View Post
Nothing to do with being "STUPID". Sometime thing just happen. I do not think it was necessary for you to call them that! Yes preventable, but stuff happens.
That is the reason you need to do a walk around to see if every thing is read to roll.....

Having RV'ed since 1984, I have seen a lot of things that you can attribute to lack of experience and being a newbie...other things are just plain stupid.

Ken
Old 12-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #7

Stuff can and will happen. We left WI before the sun was up. I had the MH parked on a spot in our yard that I normally do not hook up power. I drove out with the 50 amp cord hooked to a 30 amp cord. My son-in-law found the 30 amp cord about three blocks from our home. When he called me about what he had found, the light bulb went off in my head. By then, I had dragged the 50 amp cord 50 miles. I had to cut off all but 12' of it and install a new end. Also had to buy a 30' extension cord to use when needed. I felt pretty stupid and uttered some words that even I don't know what they meant. It could have been worse. At least I wasn't dragging the garage it was plugged into.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:19 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll confess my 50 amp cord is shorter than it used to be. Happened at home without an audience so this is a big confession. There is one explainable cause to all this and it is that stuff happens when we break our own routine. "Oh well I will wait until morning" has done in a lot of people.

We had a friend parked just across from us and had been for a month. He said the night before he had to go in for service the next morning early. Then he said "I think I'll do most of the storing of stuff tonight" (a break in his usual routine).

I woke up early and watched him . He puttered around in the wet bay, then walked around the entire MH paused at the door looked left then right then got in and began to roll forward. I jumped out of my seat and ran out and yelled his name. He stopped short. I went to the door and pointed up, his door awning was still out. Any time we break a routine we get in trouble.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:28 AM   #9

How true. Years ago, someone interrupted my departure routine since he just had to talk about my car trailer. As I drove away, I saw the power cord become taught as it pulled the power pedestal down (it was old, and wood). As I put the cord away, I could feel many pairs of eyes watching to see if I would just drive away, or go to the campground office and confess; which I did.

I do a walk around every time we break camp, and try to do this at every stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
... Any time we break a routine we get in trouble.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:05 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Looks like they may only be one poster here that is Perfect.
And never done a stupid thing in their life.
Right!!!

Rving since the 60's and I admit in the early 00's I twice forgot to unplug the cord.
No damage to shore box in both cases. 1st time another driver pointed it out to me a few miles down the road. Needed a new end plug that time. 2nd time another RVer stopped me before getting out of the campground. No damage.

Have you ever forgot to put the Batwing or Trav'ler down even once?
Guilty of that also.

Maybe those do make me feel stupid at times. But I can admit it, unlike some that can't.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We were pulling out from a quick overnight stop some years ago and were interrupted by one of the neighbors jumping out of his RV, running and screaming after us. Yup, I'd done the same thing. Lucky, no damage to any of the campground equipment. It did destroy the transfer switch inside the power cord compartment in the motorhome as the cord pulled away. No other damage to the coach.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well a little something for everyone. I crunched my ladder on the eve of my house once, because I broke my routine. The second time I crunched my ladder on the same eve, now that was stupid.

But I am cured, I am no longer routinely stupid.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:45 AM   #13

I would add to the "routine" thing... I pull doubles all the time, so there are a lot of things you can forget,,, or overlook. Same goes with rv's... If you ever have ANY doubt at all,, stop, take the extra few seconds of your day, and get out and look again... Everybody can get distracted, or in a hurry, etc... I have a set way I do things, and if I get interupted for some reason, I'll go back and look again. "Things" happen to everybody sooner or later... All you can do is try to decrease it.. Monkey

PS, Norm, I hope someday to not be routinely stupid...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=Triker56;1864052]Looks like they may only be one poster here that is Perfect.
And never done a stupid thing in their life.
Right!!!

HA HA Funny man. Just do not get my joy from calling poeple names!
Stuff happens.

C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power