Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by burfurd View Post
They are not wiring houses and rv outlets, they are restoring power to residences, the same if you are in NJ or ALA!

They should have said "We are here to help, take it or leave it!" and left!
If they were that ungrateful and STUPID, they deserve to be without power for a few extra days until they can get a pipe fitting to wire their house back up! Please excuse my rant!!!

burfurd
They did, they went to New York...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #44

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post
Alabama power companies are denying a local TV station's report that linemen who had traveled to New Jersey from Alabama (a right to work state) to help restore power to those hit hard by Superstorm Sandy were told they could not work there because they were non-union.

Story HERE
They are playing semantics... They were told 'no thanks' cause they would not agree to union affiliation..

This is from your link:
Quote:
"Upon arriving at a staging area in Virginia, crews were held in place pending clarification of documents received from IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers) that implied a requirement of our employees to agree to union affiliation while working in the New York and New Jersey areas. It was and remains our understanding that agreeing to those requirements was a condition of being allowed to work in those areas.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #45

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by racefn View Post
I happen to be a union Electrician and damn proud of it, I'm sorry most of you don't like people making a decent living and or belong to a skilled trade, I guess i know which lever your pulling , last week you were a carpenter, plumber or maybe just a know it all and this week your an electrician, save us all some grief and go wire your neighbors house, I'll fix it when your done...... Jeesh there rebuilding the power grid in those areas not wiring toasters.
Whatever..please dont belittle others. I can wire as well or better than you. I can also frame and finish the house, which you cannot do as a Union member...
Old 11-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #46

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgarcia View Post
My DS is a non-union electric linesman in WV. He is heading to New Jersey after restoration of power in Elkins, WV. He won't see his family for days, if not weeks.

My DD and DSIL work for a non-union ambulance service in Ohio. Their company already has a crew in New York. They are being told 21 days minimum, and working through Thanksgiving is likely.
Local Paramedics Helping with Hurricane Sandy Relief Efforts

No union card required in either case. They are welcomed with many thanks.
I Have worked for 2 union companies. I thought the first was an abberation. The second proved me wrong. I will never, ever work for a union company again, no matter what the $$. Principles and scruples come before $$.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
Old 11-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #47

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by racefn View Post
And what the hell does that have to do with anything, someone puts on this site a flat out lie and all the haters come out of the woodwork about unions, The alabama gang is there working, all the BS over nothing, that should be the point, not whether I'm there or not
Again, wasnt a lie.. Read the actual quote. The AL utilities thought, and still does, that agreeing to the affiliation was a condition of working. The only reason they weren't actually 'turned way' was the crew moved on.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #48

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
Basically not true
Bill Yell, spokesman for Huntsville Utilities, said nine of his employees are currently helping with recovery from Hurricane Sandy and had no union-related issues. "That's a rumor," he said. "We are starting work this morning with Long Island Power Authority. We were headed to a New Jersey utility but they had all the crews they could handle."
A spokeswoman for Joe Wheeler Electrical Membership Cooperative said the crews from Trinity also are assisting with storm recovery and, in fact, are unionized.

International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers President Ed Hill said in a statement:
It is the policy of this union and the companies we represent to welcome assistance during major natural disasters—regardless of union status. There have been reports that a nonunion crew was turned away from work in New Jersey. At this stage, it is not clear who is alleged to have turned the crew away and the company that employs the affected workers has denied the claim. IBEW local leaders in New Jersey have reiterated what has been the long standing record of our union—in times of crisis all help is welcome and we pull together with everyone to meet the needs of the public.
Read the quote above.. This is called 'politics' now and the stories are changing. The AL utility still believe they had to sign an agreement..
Old 11-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #49

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Huntsville, Joe Wheeler utilities deny claims of union discrimination during Sandy response (update)
By Kelly Kazek | kkazek@al.com
on November 02, 2012 at 8:57 AM, updated November 02, 2012 at 9:20 AM

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama - Representatives with Huntsville Utilities and Joe Wheeler Cooperative, two area utilities mentioned in media reports claiming their crews were not allowed to help with storm aid in New Jersey because they were non-union, said this morning the story is untrue.

The general manager of the other department mentioned, Decatur Utilities, has been unavailable for comment this morning. One of its crew members was quoted in the initial reports.

Decatur Mayor Don Stanford said this morning he was unaware of the story and had no comment.

Bill Yell, spokesman for Huntsville Utilities, said nine of his employees are currently helping with recovery from Hurricane Sandy and had no union-related issues.

"That's a rumor," he said. "We are starting work this morning with Long Island Power Authority. We were headed to a New Jersey utility but they had all the crews they could handle."

A spokeswoman for Joe Wheeler Electrical Membership Cooperative said the crews from Trinity also are assisting with storm recovery and, in fact, are unionized.

"It is not true for us," she said. "I don't know how we got lumped in there (in that report). We sent eight guys to Maryland, not New Jersey. They have been there since before the storm but they've finished work and are headed home this morning."

The crews from Joe Wheeler EMC went to Denton, Md., in anticipation of the storm and worked with Choptank Electrical Cooperative.

Yell and Phillips said they have been inundated with calls from national media outlets in the wake of the report, including Fox News and CNN, and several newspapers in New Jersey.

Yell said going to assist with utilities recovery is not as simple as sending donated goods and requires a lot of coordination.

"We were not turned away," he said. "It's a lot more complicated than that. One of the problems is whenever this kind of thing happens people call and ask, 'Are you going to send crews out?' but it's not a situation where everybody jumps in truck and heads up there. You have to work through trade associations. You have mutual-aid agreements and you've got to find a system that needs you and is able to take you."

He said some systems don't use the same voltage and may have different configurations. "You don't just go up there and say, 'Hey, we're here. We're going to start putting up poles for you."

Because of the storm and snow, it took two days for his crews to arrive in New Jersey, where they learned they were not needed. The American Public Power Association then coordinated with the Long Island system and the Huntsville crews arrived there this morning, Yell said.

"We've been through enough of these situations," he said. "We know how these things work."
Old 11-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #50

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrkav View Post
I have seen the work these non-union electricians do down south and it can be pretty bad. Like anything, some non-union electricians can do good work, but it begs the question, why would very good workers work for less and get less beniffits? Generally they don't. The very skilled go where the money is, union.
OPINION!!!!!!

And, basically the prevailing attitude of Unions...
Old 11-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #51

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Don't believe everything you hear on FOX News.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #52

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback1 View Post
Don't believe everything you hear on FOX News.

And where did you get that? Looks really 'official' to me..

A quote is a quote.. reported by more than Fox..
Old 11-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #53

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
And, before you post stuff, verify.. ALL the claims were thrown out, cept her being a whistleblower..

Jane Akre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #54
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Time to move on as there are too many acrimonious posts, both off and on topic.

Closed Thread