Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Southern hospitality, turned away.

One would think that in light of all the devastation in the NE due to Sandy, any and all help would be a blessing?
Alabama utility company helps in northeast after Sandy - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports
Union card required? I am sure those who would like to have heat and electricity restored to achieve some resemblance of normalcy to their lives are demanding this too.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #2

These are the. Same people that work union , but will not accept help from non union companies or workers
That is a shame , people waiting for gasoline for 3 hrs , standing in line .
I live in Texas , we have seen our share of hurricanes on the coast, these people on the coast line were very unprepared ,
Now most do not have flood insurance , it will be a fight with there insurance company. .

I would take any help I could get To get electric back on
Old 11-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #3

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My DS is a non-union electric linesman in WV. He is heading to New Jersey after restoration of power in Elkins, WV. He won't see his family for days, if not weeks.

My DD and DSIL work for a non-union ambulance service in Ohio. Their company already has a crew in New York. They are being told 21 days minimum, and working through Thanksgiving is likely.
http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/L...176857181.html

No union card required in either case. They are welcomed with many thanks.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsfloyd View Post
These are the. Same people that work union , but will not accept help from non union companies or workers
That is a shame , people waiting for gasoline for 3 hrs , standing in line .
I live in Texas , we have seen our share of hurricanes on the coast, these people on the coast line were very unprepared ,
Now most do not have flood insurance , it will be a fight with there insurance company. .

I would take any help I could get To get electric back on
Amen. We sat in the dark, heat, and mosquitoes for TWO WEEKS after Hurricane Ike in 2008. I was so thankful for the out-of-state linemen and their trucks rolling into town. God bless the volunteers.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Houston's Centerpoint Power sent 60 cres with equipment up there to help out. If they are given static about a stinkin' union card, I hope they load up, point the truck south and tell the folks up ther ADIOS.

When you need help, you take all of the help you can get.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 11-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #6

That's why union companies are going away... That's just stupid.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #7

This is a comment posted below the story the link takes you to;

"I'm thinking the reason they said "no thanks" to non-union workers is because they know that union workers MUST meet certain standards of competency and training and they can be confident the people showing up to help won't need supervision..."

Union or not, I want the most highly trained and competent person working on the power grids. Doesn't that make sense?
If a worker can prove to me that they have a license, continuing education in a specific trade and will personally stand behind their work, they are all right in my book.

We also have to keep in mind that there are codes (which are laws) in place to preserve and protect the safety of citizens.

Union locals are protected by law and have the right and responsibility to protect their work in their jurisdiction.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWillRVToo View Post

"I'm thinking the reason they said "no thanks" to non-union workers is because they know that union workers MUST meet certain standards of competency and training and they can be confident the people showing up to help won't need supervision..."

And there is so much corruption in the unions in certain areas of the country, members are let in based on relatives, pay-offs, etc. Regardless of the knowledge. Unions allow low producing employees the same pay as ones that excel. Not a smart way to run anything.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 11-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #9

"I would take any help I could get To get electric back on"
...and would you also want 30 amp 240 volt run to your RV?
Someone posted about that just a few days ago...something about trading favors...
Old 11-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have no horse in this race. Never belonged to a union - no family members in unions - don't know anyone in a union. Growing up though I remember commercials on TV - Look for the Union Label - Made in USA. I fell asleep and when I woke up 50+ years later - fewer things of lesser quality produced in USA - unions are bad - people complaining about foreign made products while filling the shopping carts with them at Walmart. That was one heck of a sleep. And no - it wasn't in a Walmart parking lot.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWillRVToo View Post

Union or not, I want the most highly trained and competent person working on the power grids. Doesn't that make sense?
If a worker can prove to me that they have a license, continuing education in a specific trade and will personally stand behind their work, they are all right in my book.

We also have to keep in mind that there are codes (which are laws) in place to preserve and protect the safety of citizens.

Union locals are protected by law and have the right and responsibility to protect their work in their jurisdiction.
Union or not, they still have to adhere to NEC guidelines. These boys from AL, kissed their wives and kids goodby not knowing how long they would be gone, but knew there were families, just like theirs that, needed help and rose to the occasion. Granted it wasn't as prestigious as having their equipment loaded in a c130 at tax payers expense like the ones from CA, they drove up from Alabama.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Typical DFL related, as our current VP Biden likes to say, Marlaky! Heaven forbid that anyone think for themselves.... You'd think they'd appreciate the help but they don't - hopefully those in need see the difference between right and the union way.....
Old 11-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They are not wiring houses and rv outlets, they are restoring power to residences, the same if you are in NJ or ALA!

They should have said "We are here to help, take it or leave it!" and left!
If they were that ungrateful and STUPID, they deserve to be without power for a few extra days until they can get a pipe fitting to wire their house back up! Please excuse my rant!!!

burfurd
Old 11-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #14

Union locals are protected by law and have the right and responsibility to protect their work in their jurisdiction

You gotta be kidding me.
Closed Thread