Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2015, 11:50 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Spare tire

I am going to travel from the lower 48 up to my home in Alaska an was wondering if I should buy a spare tire for my 35ft Palazzo. If you have travel up here with a large rv I was wondering if you had a spare when you came up. Thanks for all your help. Have a Merry Christmas.
TSump is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2015, 04:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Having traveled up there I will say I had a spare. But I have storage for a spare in my coach. 19.5 tires can be changed easily but the larger 22's are a handful because of the weight. I carry a 20 ton bottle jack [overkill] but it works and easily stored. Beautiful State by the way. Good luck on your return trip home, Safe travels.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:59 AM   #3

I have a pickup and 5th wheel. I never leave home with out a spare.
I spent a few years over the road trucking. Sometimes I had a spare sometimes I didn't. The times I didn't I regretted it. If you have a problem with a tire you may have trouble getting one your size. Tire repair shops don't carry all sizes at all times. They may have to order one. Sometimes that can take a couple days.

You don't need a brand new tire for a spare. A used one off the rim would be enough to satisfy even my OCD. If you have trouble you know you have a tire to get you to another place where you can buy a new one.
Some people will say they don't carry one cause they never needed one. Some people say that's what road side service is for. I prefer to be prepared. There is a lot of desolate country out there to be stranded in. Been there.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:47 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Thanks a lot. I have traveled up here in 2001 and I was thinking I should get a spare to or at least buy a tire before coming up. Thanks a lot for your help.
TSump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:30 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
In 2009 I carried a fully mounted spare for my rig, I figured it was cheap insurance. We didn't pull a toad.

After driving the route I'm glad I did, there is lots of remote areas with no cell phone coverage and if you had a flat with no spare you could be stranded for days.

We did see several rigs along the road stranded.

I'd carry at least an unmounted spare.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:39 PM   #6

I always carry a spare in my fiver. In fact, two. One in the basement and one underneath. I always tend to over do things but have heard the stories of two tires popping of the rims when the turn into a sight was a wee too sharp. About the only thing I don't have a back up for is my DW of 47 years.

Neverhome
Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote