Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Special Dog Food

Willa and I have three dogs. We have two Pappions (sp) and one Yorkshire Terrier. We bought the two Pappilons (sp) and Willa found the Terrier. The '''Paps'' are pure blood and Finnie has ''champion blood'' in his history. Gyspsy was a rescue but she is a ''tea cup'' Yorkie and replacement costs on her would be over a grand. I am not doing a brag here but I want everyone to know that these dogs should have a special diet of the ''best'' dog food and regular visits to the vet for shots and check ups. With that in mind I would like to say this.

We feed our dogs the best of the best in dog foods. Our vet suggested Science Diet dog food and this stuff costs about thirty dollars for a relatively small bag. The dogs seem to like it good enough and they eat it every day. What kills me is that if I take them out of the coach and dont watch them very closely they will eat a dead fish. Another thing they seem to love is ''rabbit poop''. It is very funny to watch them sniff about looking for dried ''rabbit poop'' and when they find it they try to ''hide the stash''. Finnie especially is fun to watch. He will find some and look back over his shoulder like a kid. He will look at me and grab a chunk of ''poop'' and eat it very quickly. I think he enjoys the ''crunch''. If Gus happens to see him eating he will come over and Finnie will get very defensive of his pile of ''rabbit poop''. Sometimes Gus will try to steal a piece Finnie will growl and make a fuss and really ''guard the poop''........ It's cute to try to drag Finnie away from his ''stash''. He will take a stance and resist being dragged away and the next time I take him out for a walk he will make a beeline to where the ''stash'' was.

We always leave food out for our dogs and we give them treats also. I was out walking Gus and Finnie the other day and someone had thrown out old bread for the birds. Gus found an old piece of bread. It was hard as stone and covered in sand. Gus grabbed it and when I tried to take it from him he growled at me and clamped down hard on the bread. I got hold of the bread and ripped it apart taking everything that he did not have in his mouth. He was protesting all the time but I let him know that I was boss. He carried the mouth full of bread around until I finally gave up and he choaked it down, hacking all the time.

Gypsy seem to love dead fish. If I take her down to the beach section of our sight I have to watch her like a hawk because she will grab a dead fish and wolf it down like she has never had anything to eat. She seem to like sun dried fish that are kinda small. My fear is that she will get one that may have a hook in it.

Here is what I am considering.
I think we should stop buying the expensive dog food and simply look around for some dried rabbit poop, some old stale dried out bread with sand on it and some dead fish that are sun dried and kinda rank.

With the rising costs of fuel I just might be able to save enough to fill the tank on the coach and the dogs will be happy.

What do you guys think on this ??????/

Lets all pray for our troops and their safety.....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #2

Heartland RV Club
Besides giving them bad breath ,rabbit poop has some other bad stuff in it ,including tape worms .Al tho it may be a delicacy in some country's.

www.mudflapscampingclub.com
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #3

Sounds like the Science Diet is a waste of money. Ole Roy's is a lot cheaper, but they will still eat anything that smells interesting.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #4

We feed our coonhound Purina One, he is by no means hungry, but he still will eat any nasty thing he can get in his big mouth.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #5

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Beniful for the husky & lab, no foul odors from either end unless you mistakenly give them people food then the lab will smoke you out.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Personally I think the dogs are onto something with the dead fish, but then I ditched the expensive stuff a long time ago and raw feed our dog which does make me a little biased
Old 03-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #7

My dog eats watermelon rhinds.................Guy asked me one time how I got him to eat melons.

Simple dont feed him for a week, he will eat anything.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
This sounds like Ron White's comedy routine where the lady in the exclusive pet store was trying to sell him an expensive water purification unit for his bulldog. Ron's response was to ask if they also had a "doggie excrement" purifier, because the bulldog loved eating that particular condiment, and Ron was a lot more concerned with the solid material the bulldog consumed than any impurities he might pick up from tap water.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #9

Google Dr Fox.

He says dog food is bad for dogs. I smoke chicken and mix in vegetables.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Google Dr Fox.

He says dog food is bad for dogs. I smoke chicken and mix in vegetables.

Yes I have read this to.Read the ingredients in your dogs food. It's all cereal and filler crap in there. So I went to Petsmart and asked a few questions. They have a dog food made just for them called Authority brand.It's real meat.Comes in lamb and chicken.For pups all the way to older dogs. Our older dog eats less and poops less on it and so does our new pup. I also give them table scraps, which contrary to popular ideas is good for a dog.
I was told by a vet years ago that the dogs eating poop and dead fish are looking for more protien.They would also eat cat poop if they found it.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody! View Post
Yes I have read this to.Read the ingredients in your dogs food. It's all cereal and filler crap in there. So I went to Petsmart and asked a few questions. They have a dog food made just for them called Authority brand.It's real meat.Comes in lamb and chicken.For pups all the way to older dogs. Our older dog eats less and poops less on it and so does our new pup. I also give them table scraps, which contrary to popular ideas is good for a dog.
I was told by a vet years ago that the dogs eating poop and dead fish are looking for more protien.They would also eat cat poop if they found it.

Good dog food is just that and cheap dogfood is crap-
The number one ingredient to look at is protein content.

Too much protein- like chicken breast doesn't get digested and is therefore wasted (literally)

The reason dogs eat crap is the protein content that is undigested and its crap now smells of chicken and crap hence other dogs like it.

After 40 years of owning dogs my conclusion that really good quality plain old dry dog food maybe mixed with a tiny bit of chicken broth for older dogs to soften it a bit is the way to go.

Add a tiny amount of Plaque off in each meal and your dogs teeth and breath will thank you for it.

From Max, Maggie, and Madeliene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08076.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	8722   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08074.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	8723  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08062.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	8724  
Old 03-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #12

Heres an interesting site.

Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

Uncle Dave
Old 03-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Special Dog Food

We related to the rabbit poopie story so very much.

We enjoy the company of two boy Paps and...one rescue Sheltie girl.

I agree that Papillons WILL eat anything.....AND they think they can fly. So certainly they are "flower children" at heart.

For years and years we used Science Diet Food for our Shelties. Our vets suggested Science Diet dog food so we went along with it. Hummm? Makes you wonder why they ALL suggest it?

The papillon breeder where we got our boys gave us about 5 suggestions to pick from for chow....and she has NEVER suggested Science Diet....we settled on Eukanuba. We made a switch over for all the puppies and we are very happy with the move. So you might consider a change.

Our Pap breeder is especially interested in "resin" content of dog food. Resin is used to hold the shape of the food or treat.

I don't think she is obligated to any one food brand for financial compensation....which might be the motive of our vets?

Also loved the boat for sale story....been there...done that!
KP2X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post

After 40 years of owning dogs my conclusion that really good quality plain old dry dog food maybe mixed with a tiny bit of chicken broth for older dogs to soften it a bit is the way to go.

I think you might have that backwards. I think those little stinkers own you.

Great looking pups.