Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2018, 11:06 AM   #1

Special Non Commercial Class A License for Pennsylvania

Has anyone gotten this license recently? Where have you taken it? What is involved with the test? I am not getting consistent answers from the DMV. Where did you find a licensed driver to go with you? Very frustrating and the dealers are not aware of this.

Help Help !!
SteveA1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2018, 11:46 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You're gonna like it here.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:56 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

The PA Non-commercial Class A license is only required if your combined vehicle weight exceeds 26,001 lbs and the towed vehicle (trailer) exceeds 10,000 lbs.

Using Collegeville as the zip code, these PennDOT locations come up:

https://www.dot4.state.pa.us/locator...18071513532199

I'd call and ask the questions you have.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:07 PM   #4

My combined weight is over 26,000 and the trailer is over 10,000.
I have my Non Commercial Class A permit which was pretty easy to get. But the problem is finding someone with a Class A CDL or non Commercial to go with me. Also I am not getting a straight answers on the the drive test.
SteveA1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:45 AM   #5

The question is are you needing it for your rv? I have my class a license for my job but also have a diesel pusher and unless the laws have changed rv’s are exempt from needing a special license. That being said there are a lot of ppl that I feel should be required to have one I mean come on anyone can jump into a 40 ft rv and drive it down the road 😬😬.
Cdr151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:54 AM   #6

PA exempts RV from CDL requirement except when in the Class A range, over 26,001 lbs and the trailer over 10,000 lbs. It is in the Drivers Manual.

PA is not one of the friendly states for exempt-CDL licenses for RV driving.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
PA exempts RV from CDL requirement except when in the Class A range, over 26,001 lbs and the trailer over 10,000 lbs. It is in the Drivers Manual.

PA is not one of the friendly states for exempt-CDL licenses for RV driving.
That is partially true and misleading for many folks.
Many states exempt RVs from CDL reqm'ts but DO require a NON-COMM'L license... PA & NY included.
Class A Non Comml DL for vehicles over 26000 # towing over 10000 #

But also require a Class B Non Comml DL for vehicles over 26000 #

Note states call these DLs by different names... in PA its a Cl B Non Comml... in NY its an "R" endorsement to your normal DL

Being exempt from CDL class reqmts does NOT mean you dont need a special license... only that you dont need the full CDL with all of its testing and periodic drug & health testing etc
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:30 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Have you called and asked your questions yet? Wondering if you drove the RV to the testing location without the trailer, would you be required to have another properly licensed person with you?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:54 AM   #9

Technically you need to arrive at the test with the class rig you are going for ( i.e. Class a Tow vehicle and trailer over 10,000 lbs, over 26,001 total) and a driver with the same or higher class license with 2 years experience. Most states follow the rules for a CDL License.

Some states have some slack. Texas used to not ask how the rig got to the test nor who was with you, but since the Testing Department has changed, some of the rules changed to.

When I tried to get an exempt-CDL in Maryland, I found the state testers to be woefully uninformed on the rules because, in most cases, exempt-CDL licenses are issued to firefighters and the licensing is handled through the fire department.

Some truck driving schools have provisions for you to hire a driver and a rig for the test without taking the whole driving course.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:35 PM   #10

"Technically you need to arrive at the test with the class rig you are going for ( i.e. Class a Tow vehicle and trailer over 10,000 lbs, over 26,001 total) and a driver with the same or higher class license with 2 years experience."

I was not aware any states demanded a min experience level. Can you provide a refetence for the 2 yr experience reqmt for the ride along???
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:52 PM   #11

Special Non Commercial Class A Licence for Pennsylvania

Please!
Call this DMV testing office. They were the only place that was able to answer all of my questions and the test was simple.
https://local.dmv.org/pennsylvania/b...license-center
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:54 PM   #12

Here is a compilation of the various documents of the states covering the RV licenses requirements. State Listing of Driver's License. Before you discount this data because is was formed for HDT users, it covers the states need for CDL or exempt-CDL licenses for Class A RVs and Class B ( Motorhome only).

For PA, read the CDL Manual for the requirements at the CDL test, i.e. the experienced driver. And common sens says if you drive your rig to the road test, you just have broken the law.

I have yet to find a state that has a unique manual for exempt-CDL licenses. As far as the testers go, CDL and exempt-CDL have the same driving requirements. Only the need of a medical card is different.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:44 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I agree with Winemaker2 PA does require a Non commercial class B license for an RV, However, finding someone that knows that is hard to find. I contacted 4 different DL centers and no one knew what I was talking about and I even talked to a buddy of mine that was a state trooper who didn't even know that I needed that class license. Fortunately I have a friend that had a full blown CDL with Hazmat that went with me to take the test. Once I found a center that did the test, I arrived and no one knew that I needed that class license and beginning that the center did regular CDL someone took me on a test drive to complete the road test. The only reason that I obtained the license is for insurance purposes in case of an accident so that they could not deny a claim for the wrong license.
fbanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #14

Special Non Commercial Class A Licence for Pennsylvania

This office does the class B tests quite often, and understand it.
Just trying to help!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1108.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	211597
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a