Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2008, 12:20 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Stopping Distances Required for Trucks
Speed = 30 mph . . . . Total Stopping Distance = 100 feet
Speed = 40 mph . . . . Total Stopping Distance = 169 feet
Speed = 55 mph . . . . Total Stopping Distance = 335 feet
Speed = 60 mph . . . . Total Stopping Distance = 426 feet
Speed = 65 mph . . . . Total Stopping Distance = 525 feet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In an emergency stop a car travels a almost a football field before it begins breaking ( mind reaction time and brake pedal to wheel reaction ) and then at 60 miles per hour over 150 feet to stop.

A truck can see over the vehicle and react to the emergency before the car in front of him reacts and hopefully stop in time.

As a trucker myself I am always looking far beyond the vehicles in front of me. I usually have my four way flashers on before the vehicles in front of me know they have to slow down for something.

However if you have a big rig on your tail dont break hard for a squirrel crossing the road.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2008, 01:16 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
The following data were taken from the Indiana Drivers Manual, Bureau of Motor Vehicles (no publication date found).

Vehicle

Average Stopping Distance at 55 mph (includes reaction time)

Passenger car

190 ft.

Tractor-trailer (loaded) with cool brakes

256 ft.

Tractor-trailer (loaded) with hot brakes

430 ft.

Tractor-trailer (empty)

249 ft.

Tractor only (bobtail)

243 ft.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:24 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chasfm11:
In an interesting contrast to this thread, there was a heated debate on another forum about the emphasis of several States in citing "left lane drivers". The outright hatred towards those that "clog the left lane and don't allow traffic to flow" was expressed by a number of the posters. I was really amused.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought the left hand lane was the cellphone lane??

And the subject thread slowly deteriorates.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #18

Just returned home from a (non- RV )150 mile round trip. I set my cruise control right at or at 5mph above the speed limit depending on conditions. How many cars did I pass on my trip? You guessed it, not a one !!

Where are we all in such a hurry to get to?
And why?

Don't even get me started on the subject of tailgating. I have been rear-ended twice while at a complete stop within a five year period, the last time in Dec. of 2000. The first incident was by a stolen car & the perps ran away on foot. The 2nd was by a 17 year old driving a Blazer while talking on a cell phone.

My life has not been the same since, despite 7 epidural injections, physical therapy, accupuncture & chiropractic. Needless to say, I'm a bit paranoid when I'm being tailgated which is a regular occurrance.

It's absolute lunacy out there on the roads.
jodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #19

Wow, some totally unreasonable numbers.

Note- A football field is 100 yards = 300 feet.

"In an emergency stop a car travels a almost a football field before it begins breaking ( mind reaction time and brake pedal to wheel reaction ) and then at 60 miles per hour over 150 feet to stop."

300 feet before hitting brakes? No WAY! 60 MPH = 88 ft/sec. I find it hard to believe any healthy person would need 3.5 seconds to apply brakes in an emergency.

Assuming a 2 second reaction time a truck would, @ 60MPH, travel 176 feet and then need 426 feet per the chart for a total of 602 feet or 2 football fields.

and chasfm11-

"IMHO, the emphasis on law enforcement should be based on the results of local traffic accident statistics. The stated purpose of enforcement is to protect the public. If the majority of accidents are speed related, that is where the money should be spent."

Thanks. a number of people have been harping about AZ speeding and traffic enforcement.

These wide open spaces are conducive to speeding. The accident/death rate due to this is higher than most states. As to red light cameras, IIRC, Phoenix has the highest rate of red light fatalities in the nation . If you don't like to drive safely, please stay out of AZ. I dearly want to keep my family members alive.

Wanna see a picture of my grand daughter? She is a doll. go to My Grand Daughter
lawdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:44 AM   #20

Reaction time if just paying attention is generally calculated to be .75 seconds. Can be much faster if you notice clues that something could be coming.
You know, like brake lights flashing ahead. I really appreciate truckers that use thier flashers when they see something down the road because I cannot see around them. I try to look ahead through the windows of cars ahead, but so many now have the dark tinting that it is difficult.
Glen41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #21

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
About 5 years ago when I took my first AARP Senior Driving Course we were taught that we need to have at least a 3 sec space between us and the vehicle in front.

When I then tried it, I realized how important that space is.

More recently in a refresher course, I learned that I need to add another second because of the slower reaction time age adds to us.

I now always drive with 3 to 4 sec space regardless of the speed and I feel more comfortable. But I worry about the idiot behind me.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:22 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FLYTYER:
But I worry about the idiot behind me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Especially the one that you can barely see the top of their car over the tailgate of the truck. If you stop, do you think his reaction time will be enough to stay out from under the truck.....

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #23

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXiceman:
If you stop, do you think his reaction time will be enough to stay out from under the truck..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OUCH!
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:15 PM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glen41 said <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I really appreciate truckers that use thier flashers when they see something down the road because I cannot see around them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I, too, appreciate this and try to do the same for others behind me. I'm not really sure how many of them pay any attention and probably figure that it is "that old loony toon in the MH who cannot figure out which buttons to press."
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:04 PM   #25
CD

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you stop, do you think his reaction time will be enough to stay out from under the truck..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have a license plate frame on the back of our PU that says "If you can't stop wave as you go under".

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:33 AM   #26

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXiceman:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FLYTYER:
But I worry about the idiot behind me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Especially the one that you can barely see the top of their car over the tailgate of the truck. If you stop, do you think his reaction time will be enough to stay out from under the truck.....

Ken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I have to stop...I hope he enjoys the extreme close-up of my bumper.

1993 International Genesis conversion
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #27

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Speeding is one of the leading contributors to highway accidents. It is my observation that many of those who speed (and I'm talking about more than 10-15mph above the posted limits)are also willing to do unsafe, unsignaled lane changes, tailgate etc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think a bit better acquaintance with the actual data is needed. There is no correlation with the typical highway driver exceeding the speed limit by a few mph and poor driving practice from any data I have seen.

It is well established that folks usually pay attention to speed limit signs only when they are coerced to do so such as by threat of punishment. It is also well established that most folks drive in a safe and prudent speed -- it is also a matter of fact that the basis for traffic regulations assumes this (see the federal MUTCD).

The reason many exceed posted speed limits is because those limits are often absurd for most folks in nominal conditions and circumstances. (this sort of conundrum is what keeps lawyers happy)

Speed isn't so much a contributor to the cause of accidents as it is to the resulting damage. This is a subtle distinction but very important if safety is the issue.

The two second rule is not for stopping distances but rather for synchronization and reaction issues. It must also be used along side the horizon sight rule. If you don't keep an eye on what traffic is doing well ahead and anticipate what you must do, you can end up in a situation where you have no out.

For the tailgaters note that the implicit assumption for insurance and legal purposes is that the guy in the rear is at fault. This is a presumed guilty until proven innocent type thing and it takes a preponderance of evidence to the contrary to remove it.

The issue with speed for municipalities is more revenue than anything else. In these discussions, it seems to be more about people who want to control the actions and behaviors of others than anything else. Neither seems to have much regard for actual data or proper logic.

Me? I just try to stay out of crowded traffic conditions and stay away from the worst cases I see on the road.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #28

I think it is also important to remember that that 430 or so feet is for ideal conditions. It doesn't take into consideration the inattentive driver, irregular brakes, over application of brake (A skidding wheel actually has potential to accelerate depending on the amount of momentum.)

In driving school we were trained to operate a tractor trailer with 7 seconds of following distance. The WI drivers manual calls for 6. In the Motor home I try to maintain 7, however as others have said it can be tough at times. I tend to drive slow (60ish) because of fuel economy so most of the time it is not an issue.

I do agree in my driving career till now the increase in traffic and the lack of enforcement has led to more careless driving. I think some is due to the 'Me First' attitude that seems to be sweeping the country, some is due to the lack of quality driver's ed, and some due to the gene pool-- Some people just don't get it, and unfortunately the breed.

The bottom line is speed increases the amount of damage, and increases how fast things happen (duh), while it may not be a major contributing factor, it certainly makes things much worse.

Personally, I think we should go back to the national 55 limit, but that will never happen. All one can really do is follow good defensive driving practices and concentrate on keeping yourself out of trouble. Keep your following distance, Make sure others see you, Make sure you are seeing properly, avoid "wolf packs' or bunched up traffic, stay off the cell phone, adjust your speed for conditions, etc. Most importantly, be aware and when your driving DRIVE, and only DRIVE. Really nothing new.
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote