Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2008, 06:58 AM   #1

After being on the road for nearly a year now I have learned several interesting things. The first is that posted speed limits do not apply to anyone. You cannot use the two-second rule on the road. I short, if you leave a proper following distance between you and the vehicle in front of you, some idiot will squeeze in between you and the vehicle. There are those who will always tailgate no matter what speed you are traveling.

Posted speed limit do vary from state to state. I most states are posted at 65 mph, but no one drive the speed limit, and God help you if you do. There are several states that have speed limits posted at 70 mph. After talking with my brother-in-law, who has been driving tractor-trailer for over 20 years, I learned the following. A tractor trailer rig with a 53 foot trailer (depending one the weight of the load) at 65 mph, will take any where from three to four footballs in length to make an emergency stop. Think about when the truck is tailgating you, and you should suddenly have to make an emergency stop.

Oh ya, the speed limits in most states are not enforced…. Just food for thought.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2008, 06:58 AM   #2

After being on the road for nearly a year now I have learned several interesting things. The first is that posted speed limits do not apply to anyone. You cannot use the two-second rule on the road. I short, if you leave a proper following distance between you and the vehicle in front of you, some idiot will squeeze in between you and the vehicle. There are those who will always tailgate no matter what speed you are traveling.

Posted speed limit do vary from state to state. I most states are posted at 65 mph, but no one drive the speed limit, and God help you if you do. There are several states that have speed limits posted at 70 mph. After talking with my brother-in-law, who has been driving tractor-trailer for over 20 years, I learned the following. A tractor trailer rig with a 53 foot trailer (depending one the weight of the load) at 65 mph, will take any where from three to four footballs in length to make an emergency stop. Think about when the truck is tailgating you, and you should suddenly have to make an emergency stop.

Oh ya, the speed limits in most states are not enforced…. Just food for thought.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:29 AM   #3

It's nice to know someone feels as I do when I'm driving out there also. I have observed the same as you have, it is more of a free for all. The cause of this is that most states have cut their budgets for the police so the rules on the road border on a lawless society. Do whatever you want, the chances of getting caught are slim to none. My two cents.

Bob O
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:38 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do whatever you want, the chances of getting caught are slim to none. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree for the most part, but there are some states out there, like here in Ohio, that use lotsa troopers & sheriffs on the roads. And they do ticket frequently!

Old 12-12-2008, 07:57 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is why I don't drive the major interstates unless I have to. I enjoy driving the old federal hyways and state roads because there is more to see and besides I am retired and don't have to be any where at any set time. When I was working I drove the road race between St.Louis Mo. and Tampa Fl. in 15 hours now it takes me 4 days and I havn't gone the same way twice yet. Slow down and enjoy the rest of your life.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:07 AM   #6
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess, we just do not have enough LEO's.
I see lots of them on the news channels with negative news...Lets hire a lot more...and hand out lots of tickets.
Speeding is a BIG problem here in BC.... I have to think twice about driving the speed limit... try too, but I see the truck nose on my cam screen!!!! Way to close!!!!
The P/U drivers are the worst... Those people should pay a lot more for gas / diesel...
Just my 4 cents
TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:19 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A tractor trailer rig with a 53 foot trailer (depending one the weight of the load) at 65 mph, will take any where from three to four footballs in length to make an emergency stop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know what you meant, . . . but is is fun to imagine exactly what you said ! . . . That would be practically "stopping on a dime".

My signature used to include a link to my personal web-site - - - however:
DavidMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:47 AM   #8

"A tractor trailer rig with a 53 foot trailer (depending one the weight of the load) at 65 mph, will take any where from three to four footballs in length to make an emergency stop. Think about when the truck is tailgating you, and you should suddenly have to make an emergency stop. "

You mean it takes up to 1200 feet to stop a heavy rig? That is just under 1/4 mile. IOW, 2 city blocks?

Somehow that sounds wrong and very scarey. Could you cite some support?

Anyway, I prefer super slabs to 2-way traffic. It is one thing to watch for cars travelling in the same direction and should you hit one, the delta speed is, at most, 65. On a 2-way, that speed is doubled. Plus, the likelyhood of someone crossing over lanes is much higher.

DW and I were talking a couple days ago and recalled that in 5 years of travel, in 49 states, and 50,000 miles, mostly on F'wys, we have seen only one bad accident. And that was a poor chap that hit a bridge abuttment in a U-Haul.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:56 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with you about all the crazies out there, but we have found that it's not the 18 wheelers, they know their living depends on keeping their license.
As I drive down the road at my 59-62mph I have never had a truck driver that came up to my bumper to past. They know enough to look ahead to see what the driving conditions are and get out into the passing lane ahead of time. They also shout out on the CB about the motel on wheels up ahead going slow.
As we are now traveling from the Tampa, FL area to Quartzsite, AZ we have seen many speed traps in each state, in the woods, on top of overpasses-on entrance ramps and never saw 1 trucker pulled over, just cars that are practicing for the next NASCAR season .
Left FL 12/5 hoping to make Quartzsite by 1/10/09

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 06:12 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In an interesting contrast to this thread, there was a heated debate on another forum about the emphasis of several States in citing "left lane drivers". The outright hatred towards those that "clog the left lane and don't allow traffic to flow" was expressed by a number of the posters. I was really amused.

First, let me set the record straight. It takes a willful act to get me out of the right lane most of the time. I'm a right lane driver and I very seldom venture to the left lane so there is no way that I would be considered the "rolling road block" in the left lane that was often mentioned by posters. Further, I do not condone anyone riding the left lane. It should be for those who want to pass. Period.

The funny part for me is that there are tons of moving violations that cause serious injuries. In our little town, almost 2/3 of the accidents are rear end collisions, most of those caused by tailgaiting. Wanna guess how many citations our local police force has written for tailgaiting in the past year? Speeding is one of the leading contributors to highway accidents. It is my observation that many of those who speed (and I'm talking about more than 10-15mph above the posted limits)are also willing to do unsafe, unsignaled lane changes, tailgate etc. I'm agast that the emphasis of the limited LEO availability that we have would be focused on those that spend too long in the left lane.

For the most part, I, too, prefer 4 lane roads. It give those who must go faster than I can (or want to) an opportunity to do it. I find that the same drivers who want to push me down the interstates also drive the two lane roads and will attempt to push me there, too. There are far fewer opportunities to pull off and let them by on the two lane roads. In my experience, very few will attempt to pass our combined 55' MH/toad length on a two lane road, even when it is very clear ahead. Many don't even possess the skills to pass another car o

n a two lane road. That is why there are so many nose to tail "wagon trains".

IMHO, the emphasis on law enforcement should be based on the results of local traffic accident statistics. The stated purpose of enforcement is to protect the public. If the majority of accidents are speed related, that is where the money should be spent.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:21 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chasfm11:

IMHO, the emphasis on law enforcement should be based on the results of local traffic accident statistics. The stated purpose of enforcement is to protect the public. If the majority of accidents are speed related, that is where the money should be spent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

----------------------------------------------

Do you suppose the emphasis placed on writing speeding tickets has anything to do with the amount of the fine, as opposed to the fine for a tail gating citation? Naw, couldn't be!

Dieselclacker
Old 12-13-2008, 08:02 AM   #12

FWIW: Google of "stopping distance big rigs" has some interesting reading (if you discount the lawyers pages), including --

The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles includes the following stat in its driver's manual:
- stopping distance including reaction time from 55 mph in a car is 190 feet
- stopping distance including reaction time for a loaded tractor-trailer with hot brakes is 430 feet

The air brake lag (how long it takes the air pressure to increase at the brakes themselves) distance at 55 mph on dry pavement adds about 32 feet. So at 55 mph for an average driver under good traction and brake conditions, the total stopping distance is over 300 feet.
(dmv.ca.gov)

Stopping Distances Required for Trucks
Speed = 30 mph . . . . Total Stopping Distance = 100 feet
Speed = 40 mph . . . . Total Stopping Distance = 169 feet
Speed = 55 mph . . . . Total Stopping Distance = 335 feet
Speed = 60 mph . . . . Total Stopping Distance = 426 feet
Speed = 65 mph . . . . Total Stopping Distance = 525 feet
(ortrucking.org)

These do appear to be a bit further than four footballs end-to-end; but perhaps also a bit less than four football-fields overall.

My signature used to include a link to my personal web-site - - - however:
DavidMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:10 AM   #13

525 feet is only 1.5 football fields.
Still a long way
Glen41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:51 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dieselclacker
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do you suppose the emphasis placed on writing speeding tickets has anything to do with the amount of the fine, as opposed to the fine for a tail gating citation? Wink Naw, couldn't be! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You make a great point. I haven't looked locally at the cost of tail gating citation versus a speeding citation because the latter is a variable scale based on the location (i.e. school zone) and the mph over the posted limit. My guess is that the overall fine structure is weighed toward speeding because, at the end of the day, that is probably the easiest citation to write. I cannot imagine a JP court case were the defendant faced a LEO in a "I wasn't" versus "you were" dialog over a tail gating situation. I'm sure that the LEOs have something more concrete to go on than just their own observation if they do write a tail gating citation.

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote