Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2015, 02:47 PM   #15

Just yesterday, I was driving NB on I-65 north of Indy...

I was sick and tired of having my suspension abused by the right lane potholes.. So I switched to the left lane and got the single-finger salute.... does that count ?

Don't worry... I politely waived back...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2015, 02:27 AM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
A fellow RVer in my winter park was stopped/ticketed in CA, in his coach and was whining about the $750 fine.
I cross examined him until he admitted, to doing 80 in a 70 zone on I-5 while towing ; truck and, all vehicles towing, limit is 55 in CA for those of you who don't drive there; a fellow Canadian got a similar fine with his 5th wheel.
Many avoid CA. because of the limit and level of enforcement, I'm at 58 to hold 6th gear, and get my best mileage, so it's not an issue.
New to us MH, much more power and quieter, 67 in as 65 while towing so 12 over. $469, still need to send the check.
First ticket in about 25 years.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:00 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We never get fast enough to get a ticket.....But some of the folks with diesel A's or fifth wheels that blow by us should.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:45 AM   #18

Smile take it easy

It is not even being cheap, but driving smart and being safe , you not only put yourself at risk when you speed , but others on the road. Just keep it at speed limits and drive smart,, and enjoy life. These rigs are not sporst cars .......Have fun. when you get to where your going, get into MISCHIEF, chase the little woman around and catch her. have fun.
Giancarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:55 AM   #19

I look in my wallet and then decided that going 55 is good for my wallet and my nerves.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:01 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I often wonder about the attitude that seems to require some to speed. Get off from a busy work schedule, rush home, SPEED to the destination, play really hard and then SPEED home to go back to work.

I thought we went on weekends, etc to relax. Why not start the relaxation the minute we start out. Driving at a reasonable rate lets me relax and enjoy the scenery.

I know there are folks who will rationalize that they want to get to the campground and setup before it is dark or they have to be there to meet with friends or family. If it is that important take off from work a bit early.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:06 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In California, I keep the speed control on and the Tranny in 5th gear. It runs just like 67 in 6th so it still feels comfortable. If you are not retired, and have to drive faster to go places because of time constraints, just pick places closer to home. Or alternatively, stay a day less somewhere because the journey is the destination.
Before I had an RV, we drove a lot in cars and our motorcycle. I really do understand wanting to have it all. Cleveland to Key West and back in 11 days. Back then we drove lots and found the driving was just as much fun as the destination time. I choose to drive further and spend less time in places.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:55 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a speedy little car with a turbo, and I do like to zip around in it... especially on wide open freeways. But the last couple months I've been practicing "patient driving" to prepare myself for driving the RV we just bought.

Funny thing - I don't miss the frustration of having to zip around other cars that weren't driving as fast as me, or looking in my mirror every 5 seconds to see if there was a cop back there. It's actually quite relaxing, and I get wherever I'm going just as quickly... or close enough.

AND, best of all... my fuel mileage went from around 20 (when pushing the turbo) to an average of just over 30mpg... just by doing the speed limits and not racing from one stoplight to the next. I've even gotten it as high as 36 on my mostly-freeway commute to and from work, but it dives down to 30-ish as soon as I have any in-town driving to do.

So, yeah... I'm ready to just cruise and relax

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:53 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Seems like you got more advice than real answers. My answer is no but I worry more about a getting a ticket going thru small towns with 25 mph speed limits than on the highway.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:09 AM   #24

I would think it would be more common than not. Rv'ers are always blowing past us on the interstates, and I'm always running about 62mph. I always wonder what their hurry is.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:01 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The gas bill is like getting a speeding ticket every time.
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:48 AM   #26

Uphill or down
diesel1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:53 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler6357 View Post
The gas bill is like getting a speeding ticket every time.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:01 AM   #28

I used to drive from NH to PA several times a summer in everything from antique automobiles to box trucks and the bottom line INMNSHO is just to keep going. If you aren't stopping every hour for a snack or a stretch or to dig something out, at the end of the day you'll find that you arrive within minutes of the guy who rushed everywhere.

If people are saluting you in one form or another as they go by, smile and wave because they're just acknowledging that they've seen you.